ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing Season: Won the Division, Bowl, and a Top 25 finish

zeek55

Nov 21, 2010
[BTW, so so so glad I didn't post and just lurked after that first half, bit my tongue hard because I hoped we'd turn it around the way we did in the middle of the season; always believe in these Cats].

New 4 year record of 36 wins over 4 years (+4 over previous record of 32).

New 5 year record of 41 wins over 5 years (+1 over previous record of 40).

3 straight bowl wins.

Ranked finishes in 3 of the last 4 years (we're going to be top 25 again).

15 wins in the Big Ten over the past 2 years. 26 wins in the Big Ten over the past 4 years. And a division title this year.

Those 5 records says it all. Just incredible to think about the state of the program right now; the accomplishments of these seniors and the players over the past 4 years has been nothing short of incredible. CT and the rest of these players' legacies will live long into the future.

This is a Golden Age of Northwestern football, and with Hunter Johnson and a load of talent on board next year, we can keep this train rolling, making new records in the year to come.

Last edited:
This was a significant win. Utah was a legit program that almost won the Pac12. This was a big step for the program.

Reactions: zeek55
This was a significant win. Utah was a legit program that almost won the Pac12. This was a big step for the program.
Yeah, I don't think anybody would argue this was the highest quality bowl win we've gotten under Fitz: Utah won their division, finished 9-5 and probably ranked.

Our best win of the season for sure (especially given we won our division by 3 games).

[BTW, so so so glad I didn't post and just lurked after that first half, bit my tongue hard because I hoped we'd turn it around the way we did in the middle of the season; always believe in these Cats].

3 straight bowl wins.

15 wins in the Big Ten over the past 2 years. 26 wins in the Big Ten over the past 4 years. And a division title this year.

Those 5 records says it all. Just incredible to think about the state of the program right now; the accomplishments of these seniors and the players over the past 4 years has been nothing short of incredible. CT and the rest of these players' legacies will live long into the future.

This is a Golden Age of Northwestern football, and with Hunter Johnson and a load of talent on board next year, we can keep this train rolling, making new records in the year to come.
Like you, glad I bit down hard after that first half. What an impressive game.

3 straight bowl wins.

It was a solid season and a great close.

However, there was plenty of unfinished work.

We must get over the Ohio State hump. We have conquered all else. It defines whether we have reached our destination.

Reactions: rmndcat and zeek55
It was a solid season and a great close.

However, there was plenty of unfinished work.

We must get over the Ohio State hump. We have conquered all else. It defines whether we have reached our destination.
Yeah, this season was an important building block: division title and a 3rd straight/4th in last 5 bowl win. I think now we've reached a level where the national respect is there for our program, and any negatives (lack of bowl wins, division title, or facilities) have been dealt with (and a major stadium renovation is just a matter of time).

This was clearly Fitz's best season as HC and the program's best season since 1996.

The next major goals are winning a Big Ten Championship game and Rose Bowl/NY6 Bowls. A signature win against Ohio State in a great season still eludes us.

Those are obviously the most difficult things to achieve in this sport because you're going to need a legitimate top 10 quality team to achieve those types of goals.

But we're one step away from that now, and seasons like the 2018 campaign are the foundation for that kind of future success.

These seniors hand the program off to Hunter and the rest of our youth in the best state it's been since the 90s. Time for them to add to the trophy case.

Last edited:
The momentum from the field has to translate into recruiting success. We need to land some of our top targets starting with the 2020 class. We're starting to land some of the talent that will enable us compete with the top programs, just need to get more. MOAR!

Also start the 2019 season strong by beating Stanford. Staying ranked for an entire season is the next step.

Reactions: zeek55 and NUCat320
I am satisfied with Ryan Field. A major renovation will lead to seat licenses . I have 4 season tickets but live about 1000 miles away . Seat licenses will probably lead me to purchase a"comfy couch" and further reduce our STH base

Reactions: zeek55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT