ADVERTISEMENT

An ESPN quality check

He played for the Iowa Barnstormers out of college.

When in college, I spent two summers working on a lake in Michigan near Traverse City. When asked about school, I always just said “Northwestern.”

It took me a few weeks to learn that they thought I meant Northwestern Michigan College, a juco in Traverse City.

Damn that's funny!

ESPN has Brian Peters incorrectly listed as a graduate of Northwestern College in Iowa, not NU. I just notified them of this. Let's see how long it takes for them to correct this mistake. Here's a link to his ESPN webpage...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/2265764/brian-peters#
In past years I have noticed the same error. Seems to be being carried over for some reason. Hard to explain. You would think someone at ESPN would know the difference.

In past years I have noticed the same error. Seems to be being carried over for some reason. Hard to explain. You would think someone at ESPN would know the difference.
Since I moved to Utah I've been amazed how many people who follow college football in general ask me where NU is or what division they play in.

Since I moved to Utah I've been amazed how many people who follow college football in general ask me where NU is or what division they play in.

Same thing here. However, I was caught off guard when a vendor at the Alaska State Fair recognized my N-Cat logo as "Northwestern" last week, especially after I asked him if he was from the midwest and he said, "No." Turns out he was a close friend of Adam Crum (The "Alaska Assassin" who played at Northwestern). He then took a selfie with the two of us and messaged it to Adam. I don't have a copy of the selfie, but here is the same N-Cat cap I was wearing when I was being interviewed by the statewide NBC affiliate at the Alaska State Fair:

IMG_6630_zpsfiu0qk4e.jpg

His friend told me that Adam had recently run for political office. For those interested, here is what Adam has been up to lately (from Linkedn):

Experience

• Executive Vice President
    Northern Industrial Training
    January 2008 – Present (10 years 9 months)Offices in Palmer and Anchorage, AK and North Dakota

Project Management, Business Development, Needs-Based Program Customization, Safety Training and Safety Consulting
Education
Volunteer Experience & Causes
Causes Adam cares about:
  • Education
  • Politics

Last edited:
When I went to a game at Syracuse a few years back, several people asked me where Northwestern was. I agree that the "Chicago's Big Ten Team" is a clever slogan for us because telling them "Evanston" just drew more blank looks. While we're at it, someone should tell ESPN for the umpteenth time that it's NU, not NW.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I was at a concession stand at the Gator Bowl and one of the employees, middle aged lady, asked "What IS Northwestern?" (Not "where is"). My short answer was it's a school like Vanderbilt in Chicago. Cringe worthy, I know, but I wanted to get to the game

I've had that same question asked numerous times at our bowl games.

ESPN has Brian Peters incorrectly listed as a graduate of Northwestern College in Iowa, not NU. I just notified them of this. Let's see how long it takes for them to correct this mistake. Here's a link to his ESPN webpage...

As a wrestler in a Nebraska high school (and pretty good), I was recruited by Wayne State in northeastern Nebraska for a wrestling scholarship. When I told their recruiter I was going to Northwestern, I got a lot of flak about going to a second rate college instead of Wayne State. When he finally realized I was talking about NU, not Northwestern College in Iowa, I never heard from him again.

Reactions: Noah121

They've had that wrong for at least a year, maybe two. I saw it I think in 2016 and emailed ESPN pointing it out, but clearly it never got corrected. Maybe Peters has a strange sense of humor and asked ESPN to list it that way to drive us crazy. I don't need help going crazy.

I was at a concession stand at the Gator Bowl and one of the employees, middle aged lady, asked "What IS Northwestern?" (Not "where is"). My short answer was it's a school like Vanderbilt in Chicago. Cringe worthy, I know, but I wanted to get to the game

Someone down here asked me "What IS Illinois?"

When I went to a game at Syracuse a few years back, several people asked me where Northwestern was. I agree that the "Chicago's Big Ten Team" is a clever slogan for us because telling them "Evanston" just drew more blank looks. While we're at it, someone should tell ESPN for the umpteenth time that it's NU, not NW.
You realize that the schedule scroll on wildcat report homepage of this very website lists as NW; right? Seems like if we are going to jump on people for using NW; maybe change this website for starters?

Reactions: NJCat
Same thing happened several times at the Music City Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT