ADVERTISEMENT

An observation

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Have we ever seen a Northwestern team improve so much from game one to the end? The defense is lock down (with a lapse against Illinois). The offense even. Maybe not statistically, but just felt like we were better. Utah has an awesome D so I think the 14 was ok. Their only other losses were to top 20 ranked teams.

I really believe if we go back to the beginning of the year, we probably could beat Rutgers and Duke. I think if Bryant is healthy we beat Nebraska and Iowa. We probably still lose to Penn State. I know woulda shoulda coulda but just saying the team seems to have just gotten better over the course of the year, especially the D. We are better than an 8-5 team right now. A measure of coaching and a far cry from what we’ve seen in more recent years. Hats off to the team and the coaches on an incredible year.

Well stated. The only loss that has me frustrated (but it probably would not have changed anything, we still would not have won the West and we probably would have gone to this same bowl) is the Iowa game. Pity we didn't hold on in that one and pull it out. But yeah, Rutgers and Duke, who knows (I think Rutgers might be a bit better than you think and we still probably lose that one) and as you said the other losses were to really good teams.

Well done players and especially all the coaches!

Utah had a ton of people out, so that had an effect, but I don't care. I was really concerned w Coco out because the defense was 💩 after his injury.

At the start of the season, I was surprised when Coach Braun said that both D and O lines would be the reason for victories at the end of the year. He predicted it.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
Have we ever seen a Northwestern team improve so much from game one to the end? The defense is lock down (with a lapse against Illinois). The offense even. Maybe not statistically, but just felt like we were better. Utah has an awesome D so I think the 14 was ok. Their only other losses were to top 20 ranked teams.

I really believe if we go back to the beginning of the year, we probably could beat Rutgers and Duke. I think if Bryant is healthy we beat Nebraska and Iowa. We probably still lose to Penn State. I know woulda shoulda coulda but just saying the team seems to have just gotten better over the course of the year, especially the D. We are better than an 8-5 team right now. A measure of coaching and a far cry from what we’ve seen in more recent years. Hats off to the team and the coaches on an incredible year.
Rutgers may have been doomed given the fallout of the summer. The ones that get me are Nebraska and Iowa. Feels like with a healthy Bryant, those are wins and we’re looking at 9 or 10 (or 11?!?).

Reactions: RevCat and DaCat
Rutgers may have been doomed given the fallout of the summer. The ones that get me are Nebraska and Iowa. Feels like with a healthy Bryant, those are wins and we’re looking at 9 or 10 (or 11?!?).
Agree. I think we take Rutgers if we played them at the end of the year rather than the very first game for Braun as a HC.

Reactions: RevCat
Agree. I think we take Rutgers if we played them at the end of the year rather than the very first game for Braun as a HC.
NU would have lost to any B1G opponent in week one. The team just wasn’t there yet. It had been less than 8 weeks since the firing, and they had the belief of a one-win team.

But nothing good happens this season if not for the Minnesota game. I truly believe that.

Last edited:
At the start of the season, I was surprised when Coach Braun said that both D and O lines would be the reason for victories at the end of the year. He predicted it.
Well to be honest our OL still stank. Gave up the 4th most sacks in FBS.

If Anderson loses his job, it will have been for good reason.

Reactions: IGNORE2
NU would have lost to any B1G opponent in week one. The team just wasn’t there yet. It had been less than 8 weeks since the firing, and they had the belief of a one-win team.

But nothing good happens this season if not for the Minnesota game. I truly believe that.

The comeback in the Minnesota game was such an incredible "holy shit they are doing this and can't be stopped" moments. You thought Fleck was just gonna run out the clock and then... Amazing.

Favorite game was the remove the tag versus Wisky. Thoroughly enjoyed the Cats a* kicking Bucky!!!

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT