ADVERTISEMENT

Ant gets some love

Best wishes to Eric Wilson, but I'm slightly more interested in Anthony Walker being the #1 LB in the country.

Good! I don't want him to leave after three years!!
I'm torn about that. I get what you are saying. I want a great player to continue to play at NU and just think if he improves every year.
OTOH, if NU can become known as a place where defensive players and especially LBs are developed quickly and into the NFL, more talent could arrive over the next few years. One guy playing MLB leaving early could yield 3 guys playing LB in the future especially if he makes a name for himself in the league. How great would it be to have three guys on the field with his talent at the same time?

I'm torn about that. I get what you are saying. I want a great player to continue to play at NU and just think if he improves every year.
OTOH, if NU can become known as a place where defensive players and especially LBs are developed quickly and into the NFL, more talent could arrive over the next few years. One guy playing MLB leaving early could yield 3 guys playing LB in the future especially if he makes a name for himself in the league. How great would it be to have three guys on the field with his talent at the same time?

Like Igwebuike and Harris? Both of those guys are very good NFL prospects in their own right. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Lancaster and Thompson in the League either.

Like Igwebuike and Harris? Both of those guys are very good NFL prospects in their own right. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Lancaster and Thompson in the League either.
Yes and as that happens NU gets a reputation and brings in more talent so I guess it depends on how well you can parlay the news of a guy leaving early for the NFL as something you can take a little credit for. It would seem to me that Fitz's success as a LB followed by success by LBs from his teams would be a nice story with some meat to it.

Good! I don't want him to leave after three years!!

Keep in mind that this is like Damian Anderson staying another year (a fifth year) in 2001. Walker will have his degree in Spring, 2017, and will have played three years after a redshirt year. Is it wise to play as a 5th year senior when you're deemed a high draft choice after this season?

Keep in mind that this is like Damian Anderson staying another year (a fifth year) in 2001. Walker will have his degree in Spring, 2017, and will have played three years after a redshirt year. Is it wise to play as a 5th year senior when you're deemed a high draft choice after this season?

No, if he has a strong year and goes in the first 2 rounds, he has to go. Has a degree, gains little by staying.

Having a first round pick will pay dividends in recruiting especially with shiney new facilities.

Oh, I recognize I am being completely selfish here. He's just a joy to watch in the middle of our D.

It'll be a good problem. If he is a first or second rounder after this season, it'll probably mean he played well and the team had a good season as well.

To flip the argument, does it take away from the true Academic/Athletic balance that NU provides when someone leaves early and doesn't stay to get a degree?

To flip the argument, does it take away from the true Academic/Athletic balance that NU provides when someone leaves early and doesn't stay to get a degree?

No. If an athlete can get to the next level as a high draft choice, more power to them. A very small percentage of all college athletes are gifted enough to play professionally and if that is a possibility then they should go for it.

NU players are all put on a track to graduate in four years from the second they set foot on campus. Even if he were to leave early, he would likely do so with his degree.

I thought I read that he will have his degree.

YES!!!! Walker should/will graduate with an NU degree next Spring! He will have been at NU for 4 years.

There is no good reason for him to stay at NU after this season if he is predicted to be a high round draft pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT