ADVERTISEMENT

Any Wildcat fan mind posting a scouting report

Now you're just trying to be difficult. This isn't just about our arsenal. If all we had was Justin Jackson TBC, then yeah, ignore the opponent and go ahead and run. Like WTF happened last year against UT when we insisted on trying to pass on them? (Again, FitzLogic at work once again)???

But, unlike last year, we aren't just JJTBC this year. We CAN PASS. We have a rapidly improving QB who won All B1G honourable mention, and the #1 WR in the B1G AND we are playing a team with the 2nd worst pass defense in Division I. Why the F would you want to run on them? WHY WHY WHY WHY??????

I'm the one trying to be difficult?

Didn't we come out throwing against Ohio State? We can control the clock as well with short passes to Austin Carr. Establish the pass and mix in the run.

Reactions: ricko654321
Didn't we come out throwing against Ohio State? We can control the clock as well with short passes to Austin Carr. Establish the pass and mix in the run.

Sounds good to me. We'll need to pass the ball effectively to win but we need to maintain balance and we'll need to spread the ball out because Carr will be a marked man.

Carr has been a marked man most of the season. Expect a heavy dose of AC if NU is to win.

Not to the degree he will be this time. With the post season accolades and a full month to gameplan for him, I guarantee you we won't win this game if someone else does not step up to catch the ball.

Not to the degree he will be this time. With the post season accolades and a full month to gameplan for him, I guarantee you we won't win this game if someone else does not step up to catch the ball.

If NU cannot get AC the ball, with all I have read about the porous Pitt secondary, then the Cats are in big trouble. Operating from the slot generally puts either a 3rd corner or a safety on him, and he can beat either of those. With 3 WRs and a SB, there just aren't enough guys to double cover 1 receiver so AC will generally have single coverage.

I didn't say we won't be able to get him the ball, I said we won't be able rely on him exclusively. If you think Pitt will put their 3rd cb or a safety on him, you are smoking crack.

If NU cannot get AC the ball, with all I have read about the porous Pitt secondary, then the Cats are in big trouble. Operating from the slot generally puts either a 3rd corner or a safety on him, and he can beat either of those. With 3 WRs and a SB, there just aren't enough guys to double cover 1 receiver so AC will generally have single coverage.

By the way, watch a little tape on Pitt. I didn't see CBs getting blown by all game or guys running wide open. I saw a lot of big plays on jump balls where the Pitt CBs were right there to make the play but didn't. Big difference.

Last edited:
By the way, watch a little tape on Pitt. I didn't see CBs getting blown by all game or guy's running wide open. I saw a lot of big plays on jump balls where the Pitt CBs were right there to make the play but didn't. Big difference.
Yes, that and poor tackling -- hence WR screens and other short passes. If they do overplay Carr and the pass, then sure we will have numbers inside so run at them w 6 blockers against 6. But if they stack the box early (which I suspect they will), then there's no reason to force it down their throats when we have a pretty good passing game. Our OC has wasted quarters, halves, and even entire games before trying to do that on nearly every 1st and 2nd down. First downs keep our defense off the field, whether they are from runs or passes. Time of possession in game clock does not equal time on / off the field, because the game clock stops and actual rest time for the D keeps running. Our tempo (or lack thereof) on offense is not dependent on whether we run or pass.

I happen to think based on their D scheme the short passing game will be the best way to sustain drives, but frankly I don't really care. The much more important key is just to be SUCCESSFUL on offense, who gives a crap whether it's run or pass, preferably a balance of both. That will give our D the rest it needs.

And if it turns into a shootout I trust our D (and D coaching) to be deeper and better positioned to get stops late in a high scoring game more than most teams we play. Hank will make adjustments and we run a lot of different bodies out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT