ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone think NU can defeat Illinois?

We should’ve won, and we probably would’ve with Shannon.
dgeaa3w-872f716f-1114-474b-ad98-01cf0e9683fb.png

Well well well as the saying goes humble pie is always served best cold! Great game by the cats Buie is legitimately the best PG to ever don the Purple &white…. Also FCK Illinois enjoy your trip back home with coach red ass .

Last edited:
How you feeling Vassar?
Sorry for late reply, I was suspended and didn’t realize I’d been reinstated.

Disappointed in the result but fairly content overall. It was a great game, but after Illinois went to a disastrous “switch 1-5” strategy on D late and the Cats burned them, so that was it. I think in general, Buie can be a bit overhyped in these parts. But he has a knack for clutch moments and tonight was certainly no exception.

Prior to tonight, Illinois had won 10 of 11 over the Cats. Guess I don’t get to gloat about 11 of 12.

Disappointed in the result but fairly content overall. It was a great game, but after Illinois went to a disastrous “switch 1-5” strategy on D late and the Cats burned them, so that was it. I think in general, Buie can be a bit overhyped in these parts. But he has a knack for clutch moments and tonight was certainly no exception.

Prior to tonight, Illinois had won 10 of 11 over the Cats. Guess I don’t get to gloat about 11 of 12.
I highly disagree that buie is overhyped…. He’s widely been underrated his whole entire life. He’s just starting to put the nation on notice.🤷🏾‍♂️

Your guy Hawkins is a real piece of work. Throws a hissy fit on a no call, then skips the gentlemen's handshake at the end. He's a poster child for "Million Dollar Body, 10 Cent Head."

And your Coach Red Ass gets in Berry's grill after the game. Illinois received most of the benefit from poor officiating last night, but your team still whines away. What a pathetic display.

You have a very talented team that could/should make a deep tournament run. It all depends on mental fortitude. We will see how that goes.

Your guy Hawkins is a real piece of work. Throws a hissy fit on a no call, then skips the gentlemen's handshake at the end. He's a poster child for "Million Dollar Body, 10 Cent Head."

And your Coach Red Ass gets in Berry's grill after the game. Illinois received most of the benefit from poor officiating last night, but your team still whines away. What a pathetic display.
Hawkins seemed to bee line towards Berry after the game, and coaches got in his way and sent him to the locker room before the handshake line. I like to think that Underwood was addressing Berry to explain/apologize for Hawkins behavior...

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
Hawkins seemed to bee line towards Berry after the game, and coaches got in his way and sent him to the locker room before the handshake line. I like to think that Underwood was addressing Berry to explain/apologize for Hawkins behavior...
This is exactly what happened

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2 and NUThump

You have a very talented team that could/should make a deep tournament run. It all depends on mental fortitude. We will see how that goes.
Thank you for your assessment. I will be sure to pass this along.

Reactions: NUCat320
So rather than just poor sportsmanship a la Isiah Thomas and the Pistons in 1991, it was more like to protect Hawkins from doing something really stupid that could jeopardize Illinois' season? I can accept that, but that doesn't mean I have to like him.

Reactions: drewjin
Hawkins is a very talented player but a complete baby who believes he has never committed a foul in his history. Most of the foul calls against us in the first half were legit and I didn’t complain and urged other NU fans to not either. We don’t want to be whiners… like ole sticks Coleman.

Ant Wright (former Michigan player who does a lot of Big Ten-centric CBB content and analysis online) broke it down last night. Berry said something to Harmon and Coleman went after him. Coaches intervened and sent him to the locker room.

Coleman is the most irreplaceable player on the team, but also the hardest to root for because he whines about everything.

Ant wright who the **** is that? We could care less about a meaningless nobody big 10 player no ones heard of and pretty sure Ty wasn’t running away from anything he was more likely just walking away because the game is over while Hawkins is walking up like he’s some tough lurch from the Addams family ….. more than likely he was salty because the Illini are going home with an L and looked like complete dog shit in overtime.

Last edited:
Ant Wright (former Michigan player who does a lot of Big Ten-centric CBB content and analysis online) broke it down last night. Berry said something to Harmon and Coleman went after him. Coaches intervened and sent him to the locker room.

Coleman is the most irreplaceable player on the team, but also the hardest to root for because he whines about everything.

To be accurate lets say "Coleman Hawkins went skipping toward Ty Berry." Berry backed away, as would most men.

The undeniable fact is that Illinois players were all being pri*ks in the first meeting. Most of that seemed to be directed toward Ty berry. Domask was embarrassingly smug and just a total punk, while having a career game.
Dd you see Buie running his mouth yesterday when he repeatedly torched Illinois defenders? Thats right - he did not run his mouth or do anything to embarrass his opponent.

In the rematch, Ty Berry wanted some payback and he beat some orange ass. He had every right to say crap to every guy on that team.

And apparently he did.

Excellent! Love it!
In your defense, I understand why Illinois fans are whining. But you cheered all of your guys for doing worse.

"ran away"
:D
Oh boy. Ty Berry said something.

The horror.

I'd run from Hawkins' big, ugly mug too. He looks like a Yeti that lost all of its fur.

Our Big Matt may look like a supersized version of Peter Sagan with a beard, but he only chases taco trucks and saves his histrionics for the dance floor.

Last edited:
To be accurate lets say "Coleman Hawkins went skipping toward Ty Berry." Berry backed away, as would most men.

The undeniable fact is that Illinois players were all being pri*ks in the first meeting. Most of that seemed to be directed toward Ty berry. Domask was embarrassingly smug and just a total punk, while having a career game.
Dd you see Buie running his mouth yesterday when he repeatedly torched Illinois defenders? Thats right - he did not run his mouth or do anything to embarrass his opponent.

In the rematch, Ty Berry wanted some payback and he beat some orange ass. He had every right to say crap to every guy on that team.

And apparently he did.

Excellent! Love it!
In your defense, I understand why Illinois fans are whining. But you cheered all of your guys for doing worse.
I am confused why you’re directing any of this at me. I DGAF about trash talk on the floor. There should be tons of it. It’s college basketball, it’s supposed to be like that. Berry can say anything he wants, and Coleman can get as mad as he wants (as long as he doesn’t actually do anything to miss games). It’s the luxury of winning, the literal definition of bragging rights. There was a lot of clutching of pearls from the dorks on this site, so I was just explaining what is reported to have happened.

I didn’t even care about NW fans heckling Shannon. It comes with the territory. He fought to get back on the court, and he undoubtedly knew exactly what that would mean on the road. My only problem with it was how lame NW administration was about it. Let the dorks have some fun, Shannon is a big boy he can handle it and he’s going to hear it way worse the rest of the season.

And apparently he did.

Excellent! Love it!
Donic, I mean Domask clearing was saying “you can’t F***ing guard me” after many hoops in the first game. If Cohawk doesn’t like getting trash talked he should counsel his own teammates to STFU too.

Ant wright who the **** is that? We could care less about a meaningless nobody big 10 player no ones heard of and pretty sure Ty wasn’t running away from anything he was more likely just walking away because the game is over while Hawkins is walking up like he’s some tough lurch from the Addams family ….. more than likely he was salty because the Illini are going home with an L and looked like complete dog shit in overtime.
He played under Beilein I believe. He’s a very popular “online college basketball person” in big ten crowds. Does lots of interesting analysis of big ten games. He’s got a huge following online, I’m surprised you haven’t heard of him. He’s been very bullish on Northwestern for a few years, much more than lots of the other college basketball media ecosystem. If nothing else, he’s worth a follow just for his loathing of Juwan Howard.

Donic, I mean Domask clearing was saying “you can’t F***ing guard me” after many hoops in the first game. If Cohawk doesn’t like getting trash talked he should counsel his own teammates to STFU too.
Especially after Buie fried Marcus multiple times and he just kept quiet as it was just business to boo, had his ass in the spin cycle.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I am confused why you’re directing any of this at me. I DGAF about trash talk on the floor. There should be tons of it. It’s college basketball, it’s supposed to be like that. Berry can say anything he wants, and Coleman can get as mad as he wants (as long as he doesn’t actually do anything to miss games). It’s the luxury of winning, the literal definition of bragging rights. There was a lot of clutching of pearls from the dorks on this site, so I was just explaining what is reported to have happened.

I didn’t even care about NW fans heckling Shannon. It comes with the territory. He fought to get back on the court, and he undoubtedly knew exactly what that would mean on the road. My only problem with it was how lame NW administration was about it. Let the dorks have some fun, Shannon is a big boy he can handle it and he’s going to hear it way worse the rest of the season.
I only directed it toward you because you are an Illinois fan and you posted the video with the silly comments.
I actually enjoy your perspective.
No offense intended toward you specifically, especially now that you clarified your positions.
Like you, sometimes I just get fired up.

But I do think the U of I looks really hypocritical and feckless in the Shannon matter. It reminds me of Schill with Fitzgerald in some ways.

I love somebody using the term “dorks” who A> has John Candy for an avatar, one of the dorkiest (in a good way) figures of all time and B> is referring to college sports, where actual involved fans are, by definition, either well educated or are weird local yokels clinging to a university they didn’t attend.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and ubercat
I only directed it toward you because you are an Illinois fan and you posted the video with the silly comments.
I actually enjoy your perspective.
No offense intended toward you specifically, especially now that you clarified your positions.
Like you, sometimes I just get fired up.

But I do think the U of I looks really hypocritical and feckless in the Shannon matter. It reminds me of Schill with Fitzgerald in some ways.
I’ve said repeatedly that I personally do not think he should play. I supported the university’s initial response, which would still be in place if Shannon had not sued them.

I struggle to understand the accusations of hypocrisy (not just here, but all over national media). Shannon is playing because of a federal judge’s injunction. Underwood, Whitman (the AD), and all university leadership would rather he not play but legally they’re boxed in.

The University (not some rogue athletic department BS, but the associate chancellor for the University) even addressed it with a detailed statement this week because what’s happening is being misconstrued

I love somebody using the term “dorks” who A> has John Candy for an avatar, one of the dorkiest (in a good way) figures of all time and B> is referring to college sports, where actual involved fans are, by definition, either well educated or are weird local yokels clinging to a university they didn’t attend.
Haha it’s tongue in cheek. I’m an aerospace engineer in my day job, annd spend my day anmong the dorkiest of dorks. And John Candy is the greatest. If we agree on nothing, we should agree on that.

Reactions: SmellyCat
I struggle to understand the accusations of hypocrisy (not just here, but all over national media). Shannon is playing because of a federal judge’s injunction. Underwood, Whitman (the AD), and all university leadership would rather he not play but legally they’re boxed in.
It's a specious argument to make because Underwood has total control over who actually sees the court and how many minutes they are on it. It is 100% his choice to play Shannon at all. The only reason Shannon is playing is because Underwood has decided he wants Shannon to play.

The court order only requires Shannon not be suspended. There is nothing in it about him actually being allowed to play in any game. He can keep Shannon on the team, in practices and even suited up for games, without ever putting him on the hardwood.

I, for one, would be fascinated by a court order requiring he receive playing time, how the minutes might be determined, and the how requirement might be justified by a court.

It's a specious argument to make because Underwood has total control over who actually sees the court and how many minutes they are on it. It is 100% his choice to play Shannon at all. The only reason Shannon is playing is because Underwood has decided he wants Shannon to play.

The court order only requires Shannon not be suspended. There is nothing in it about him actually being allowed to play in any game. He can keep Shannon on the team, in practices and even suited up for games, without ever putting him on the hardwood.

I, for one, would be fascinated by a court order requiring he receive playing time, how the minutes might be determined, and the how requirement might be justified by a court.
Shannon is playing because a federal judge said the public university can’t suspend him without giving him due process. And the Univerity leadership told Underwood to “treat him as any other member of the team in good standing and not limit participation based on the involved allegations”. Not Underwood, not the AD, the actual University themselves.

I’m not a lawyer but I’m assuming that’s “we’re not getting sued again for reinstating him but benching him” CYA policy. I know nothing more about it, but I do know that it’s extremely rare for the University to act in the interest of athletics, so I highly doubt that the University made the call for the benefit of the basketball program.

The only difference from before is that Underwood *can* bench him now, whereas before he didn't even have the option to bench him - he just wasn't on the team. I am not going to accuse Underwood of anything, but some coaches would say, "sure, you're back on the team, but you're not playing." If Underwood and Shannon and the rest of the team are at peace with the decision Underwood made to play him, I am not going to argue that, but if I were coaching he'd be benched.

I am, of course, not a basketball coach of a title contender with an all-conference stud on my team, so maybe my mind would change if I were.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
The only difference from before is that Underwood *can* bench him now, whereas before he didn't even have the option to bench him - he just wasn't on the team. I am not going to accuse Underwood of anything, but some coaches would say, "sure, you're back on the team, but you're not playing." If Underwood and Shannon and the rest of the team are at peace with the decision Underwood made to play him, I am not going to argue that, but if I were coaching he'd be benched.

I am, of course, not a basketball coach of a title contender with an all-conference stud on my team, so maybe my mind would change if I were.
Yeah I guess my point is that his bosses have publicly acknowledged that they specifically instructed him to treat Shannon like normal and not limit his participation. As in, he’s been told he’s not allowed to even if he wanted to. Presumably so they don’t get sued again.

I’d personally have preferred if Shannon didn’t sue and was still suspended. I’m shocked he won a TRO to be honest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT