ADVERTISEMENT

Are the Lions going to win the NFC North?

It wasn't a pretty game last night, but that got that monkey off their back. Anything can happen in the playoffs (look at the Cowboys), but they have an excellent chance to win next week as well.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Lions will play for the championship! Playmakers everywhere.

49ers open as 7-point favorites, but they surrrrrre were beatable last night.

GRIT

Lions will play for the championship! Playmakers everywhere.

49ers open as 7-point favorites, but they surrrrrre were beatable last night.

GRIT
Wish the Lions hadn’t been screwed out of home field advantage, but I like their chances against the 49ers. Green Bay, although they’re a lower seed there’s just too much NFC North history and GB already beat the Lions at Ford Field this fall.

I’ve become a Jared Goff and Lions fan after that Athletic article.

But especially after the Chiefs took down my poor Bills.

Go Lions

If Deebo plays, the Lions will not be able to stop SF. Save your money.
As an aside, the vast majority of the pundits this morning think the Lions can win this game. If Deebo plays, I question their defense, but you certainly have a lot of people on the Lions train with you .
Take the Lions to cover and to win, especially if Deebo is out.

I think we can beat the Niners with or without Deebo if they can continue to play “Complimentary” turn over free football definitely have a punchers chance, niners looked very Mid against the packers.

I think we can beat the Niners with or without Deebo if they can continue to play “Complimentary” turn over free football definitely have a punchers chance, niners looked very Mid against the packers.
Pretty much everyone I talk with is taking the Lions ( at least with points). That scares the crap out of me. If Deebo plays, I am sticking with Niners although I would be pleased with a Lions win,

Pretty much everyone I talk with is taking the Lions ( at least with points). That scares the crap out of me. If Deebo plays, I am sticking with Niners although I would be pleased with a Lions win,
Yes, Debo brings a different dimension to that offense. Plus we struggle against really good receivers win or lose I’m proud of what the lions have done this year. I definitely will be nervous On my flight back from Chicago.

Niners came out flat against GB. I always question sitting starters out of the last game of the season plus a bye, so basically 3 weeks from the last meaningful game for many of them while GB looked more in rhythm. But now that the Niners played and had to battle, I think they will play much better against Detroit than they did GB.

I also like their playoff experience and home field advantage. Can Detroit win? Sure, they have a great team and put together a great season and Jared Goff going back to the Bay Area will probably have extra motivation. But if both teams are playing at their best, the Niners definitely have the edge with home field and experience.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
It was a horrible coaching job
Exactly right. Kick the damn field goals. And it’s not just about the points. The 4th down stop when it was 24-10 Lions changed the whole momentum of the game. Take 3 there and go up by 3 scores.

Just dumb. And I know he did it all year but this is a playoff game.

Exactly right. Kick the damn field goals. And it’s not just about the points. The 4th down stop when it was 24-10 Lions changed the whole momentum of the game. Take 3 there and go up by 3 scores.

Yea… but… KNEECAPS!

The WR dropped the ball on that 4th down play. It was right there. Then on the Niners' possession, the ball doinked off the DB's facemask and into the WR's hands for a huge play that set up a TD. If the Lions catch either one of those balls, it's a completely different game. They had multiple opportunities to put it away.

Almost Pat Fitzgeraldesque with his allergy to field goals

Reactions: Jaguar 88
The WR dropped the ball on that 4th down play. It was right there. Then on the Niners' possession, the ball doinked off the DB's facemask and into the WR's hands for a huge play that set up a TD. If the Lions catch either one of those balls, it's a completely different game. They had multiple opportunities to put it away.
Yep, drops happen when you don’t take the points. Take the points, go up by 3 scores, keep the momentum and kickoff. Easy decision.

And when you get burned there, don’t do it again when you’re down 27-24 and can tie the game.

Bad decisions to go for it coupled with every receiver dropping at least 1 catchable ball in the second half, and the 1 in 1000 tipped catch for 50 yards. As a current Michigander but only bandwagon Lions fan this was incredibly disappointing; I can only imagine how the lifelong fans feel. Actually I can because I’d been a Vikings fan my whole life and have watched them lose several NFC championships and never made the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

Frankly, he should have gone for it more. The kick at the end of the first half was out of character. You don’t change who you are because a game’s being played in January.

I’m one of not-many who can claim that my adopted hometown team was the Falcons for 28-3 and now the Lions for 24-7.

Lifelong Cats and Cubs fan, go figure!

Yep, drops happen when you don’t take the points. Take the points, go up by 3 scores, keep the momentum and kickoff. Easy decision.

And when you get burned there, don’t do it again when you’re down 27-24 and can tie the game.
He did kick the short field goal at the end of the half to go up by three scores. I was fine with going for it on their first possession of the second half, but the last one when down 27-24 was just stupid. Tie the game up and put some wind back in the sails of your defense.

He did kick the short field goal at the end of the half to go up by three scores. I was fine with going for it on their first possession of the second half, but the last one when down 27-24 was just stupid. Tie the game up and put some wind back in the sails of your defense.
Didn’t like either call and I usually am a proponent of going for it.

Reactions: No Chores
Disagree. 49ers go down the field to start the 2nd half and kick a field goal to get it to a 2 score game. Good for them but not really a momentum changer. Lions get the ball and drive down the field. About 7 minutes left in the 3rd. Kick the field goal and get the 3 points back and make it a 3 score game again. Remove any little bit of momentum they got from getting it to 24-10. Instead they fail on the 4th and 2 and then the 49ers get the crazy catch and all the sudden it’s a one score game. Completely changed the game.

Reactions: No Chores
Disagree. 49ers go down the field to start the 2nd half and kick a field goal to get it to a 2 score game. Good for them but not really a momentum changer. Lions get the ball and drive down the field. About 7 minutes left in the 3rd. Kick the field goal and get the 3 points back and make it a 3 score game again. Remove any little bit of momentum they got from getting it to 24-10. Instead they fail on the 4th and 2 and then the 49ers get the crazy catch and all the sudden it’s a one score game. Completely changed the game.
Perhaps the Lions kicker wasn’t up to the task?

Wish the Lions hadn’t been screwed out of home field advantage, but I like their chances against the 49ers. Green Bay, although they’re a lower seed there’s just too much NFC North history and GB already beat the Lions at Ford Field this fall.
I figured that when they went for it on 4th and failed, they would find a way to lose, Unfortunately right, The started dropping balls and making all kinds of uncharacteristic mistakes after that

I wouldn't have gone for it on the two fourth down plays, but that is me. I understand why you don't change what got you there, so I don't hold it against him.

I am proud of what the Lions have accomplished this year, and I think they are still going to get better next year. That being said, you don't know what will happen, and you need to take the opportunities when you get them.

The thing that stings about this one is that I feel the Lions were the better team. Without the facemask bounce or that fumble, I feel they would have won.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have gone for it on the two fourth down plays, but that is me. I understand why you don't change what got you there, so I don't hold it against him.

I am proud of what the Lions have accomplished this year, and I think they are still going to get better next year. That being said, you don't know what will happen, and you need to take the opportunities when you get them.

The thing that stings about this one is that I feel the Lions were the better team. Without the facemask bounce or that fumble, I feel they would have won.
As much as I wanted the Lions to win that one, I don't think they were the better team. The Lions hit a couple home runs in that first half, but SanFran clearly had the better defense. The adjustments they made in the second half pretty much shut Detroit down. The Lions did have the better QB and that is why I think Kansas City is going to beat the Niners pretty convincingly in two weeks. I still don't trust Brock Purdy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT