ADVERTISEMENT

Are we going to be seeing Jack Perry on the PGA Tour?

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Perry did quite well against top competition in the All-America Golf Classic, winding up 12th. Apparently had a few bogeys on the back 9 that prevented him from finishing in the top ten. Anyways that doesn't take away from an outstanding accomplishment. Will we see Jack on the PGA Tour before the likes of Chun and Lipsky?

Interesting question. I think in terms of raw talent, Eric is ahead of Jack, but Jack is a tremendously hard worker and has gotten better every year. He is one of those "first person in the gym and last person out" kind of guys. I think he's got the talent to make the Tour, but it is so hard to do. Eric is doing pretty well on the Japanese Tour-- mostly top 20 finishes. I need to get in touch with him and find out what his schedule will be like because I think the Japanese season is about done. Lipsky had a nice little run on the Asian Tour but I haven't heard much about him lately.

Of course, the guy to watch is Matt Fitzpatrick. Matt's gonna be playing in every Major this year except for the PGA Championship. He has dropped to #2 in the world (by barely a statistical tie) but his playing in Major pro events will no doubt get him back to #1. Personally, I see Matt making every cut. I pray that he stays in school at NU because this guy could rewrite all of Luke's records.

I think most people, including me, expect really big things from Matt in college and on the PGA Tour. That is part of the problem for someone like Matt because even though he did well during the fall season at NU, I thought he would do even better. Come on, only one first place and a third place, to go with 15, 23, and 53rd place finishes.
smile.r191677.gif
Perry had a more consistent fall season, with a 1st, 2nd, 6th, 10th, and 72nd. Looking for a huge spring season from these two, starting with the Big Ten Match Play Championship in Feb. But it was a great fall season for NU golf as they won 2 of the 5 tournaments they played, with Matt leading the way with a 71.73 stroke average, Perry right behind at 71.80. The spring season should be exciting.

The answer is no. I know all 3 of these kids and have played with 2 of them.

Not saying it's impossible. But Jess Daley had a better chance based on his game ability to go low. To play the Tour, you have to go low. Real fricking low. White hot low. 275 doesn't cut it out there. That's a borderline, rabbit life. You have to be capable of 265. I don't think any of them have that. That's 23 to 19 under.

On Tour, you need that kind of offense, or you get lapped. You can shoot 270 one week and make $600k. You can shoot 150 the next week and make nothing. Then you shoot 275 and make $300k. Then you make nothing for a month.

If you shoot 140 every TH and Fri, you make shit. You miss half the cuts and even if you play great on the weekends, you're too far down to make big cash.

The Tour is basically a 72 hole stableford. You need to be able to go lights out at least every 4 events. That's why Jeff Overton is out there. That kid can shoot 61 on any given day. And back it up with 65. That's the kid of offense that wins big checks and keeps you out there.

If the Tour was straight match play, it'd be different. But it's not. It's like the old 4-spotters back in the day, but they're 20 spotters. You have to kick at LEAST 7 out of 8 guys's butts at least 20% of the time to stick around. And to really stick around, you have to beat 155 out of 160 guys' butts at least a few times a year.

That takes crazy hot streaks.

I will say this: if JP ever makes it out there, even for a little while, he'll kill it with the ladies. The girls love him. He'd have a groupie harem out there like Arnie in his heyday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT