ADVERTISEMENT

Article about speeding up the game

1) Fewer commercials, of course--get rid of the extra point/commercial/kickoff/commercial sequence and the gutbuster sequence that always occurs after a long drive.
2) I'd love the NFL-length halftime, but it would definitely cut into the marching band, so nothing to be done there.
3) I'm probably in the minority in hating stoppage after first downs. I know people love it because it effectively provides a bunch of extra time outs to a game and creates a lot of excitement, but IMO it distorts the game.

Our national obsession with regulated fairness is causing this. Get rid of replay officials, and create a national education campaign to help people understand that subjectivity is part of the game and part of life. Officials are humans and humans make mistakes, just like players and coaches.

Also shorten the :40 play clock to :35, keeping the :25 as is.

Our national obsession with regulated fairness is causing this. Get rid of replay officials, and create a national education campaign to help people understand that subjectivity is part of the game and part of life. Officials are humans and humans make mistakes, just like players and coaches.

Or as an alternative, give each team a could of challenges per game with the exception that any TD play can be reviewed. I've grown to love my local Division II football team because the games are never on television.

Same thing in baseball, as there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth about the strike zone.

Just live with the result. I'm still chapped about the Mich field goal 3-4 years ago but I'm over it.

To quote the Holy Grail, GET ON WITH IT!

Reactions: Hungry Jack
How about only stopping the clock on 1st down in the last 5 minutes of each half? Also, treat an incompletion the same as an out of bounds; wind the clock when the ball is set for play.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Same thing in baseball, as there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth about the strike zone.

Just live with the result. I'm still chapped about the Mich field goal 3-4 years ago but I'm over it.

To quote the Holy Grail, GET ON WITH IT!
I hate replays in football, but I find replays in basketball the most infuriating. (Is it 3.8, or 4.2 seconds?)

The refs already just go ahead and call it a first down if the ball is within a yard of the marker. (When did they start doing this? Seems for at least ten years.) This saves time because they don't have to measure it anymore, but I have concerns about fairness.

The refs already just go ahead and call it a first down if the ball is within a yard of the marker. (When did they start doing this? Seems for at least ten years.) This saves time because they don't have to measure it anymore, but I have concerns about fairness.
yeah, I noticed that too. Didn't realize it was to speed up the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT