ADVERTISEMENT

Article about the must-win game for Nebby

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
I saw this CBS article about the game tomorrow and how it is crucial for Frost to win to start the season, a season with his job on the line.

And this quote- geez! Yes we had a horrible season last year but to characterize the program as 2nd tier I think exposes the writer’s ignorance of the NU’s rise in the BigTen.

“His (Frost)job is on the line. Maybe not right away, but it doesn't get more depressing than having to schlep across the North Atlantic to lose an opener in Europe to a traditional second-tier Big Ten program.

That makes Nebraska-Northwestern the most significant game of Week 0, laden with more potential calamity than spilled lager on brewery tours.”

I saw this CBS article about the game tomorrow and how it is crucial for Frost to win to start the season, a season with his job on the line.

And this quote- geez! Yes we had a horrible season last year but to characterize the program as 2nd tier I think exposes the writer’s ignorance of the NU’s rise in the BigTen.

“His (Frost)job is on the line. Maybe not right away, but it doesn't get more depressing than having to schlep across the North Atlantic to lose an opener in Europe to a traditional second-tier Big Ten program.

That makes Nebraska-Northwestern the most significant game of Week 0, laden with more potential calamity than spilled lager on brewery tours.”

Missouri grad living in the Kansas City area. A quick read of a couple of his articles makes me think he must have idolized Jay Mariotti when he was in school.

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack

Well, I would consider the top tier to be Ohio State, Michigan, (those schools just own Fitz whenever they play) and probably Penn State. The 'Cats just have not had much success against these teams in recent years and especially not against the first two.

The second tier, where Northwestern falls, would be teams like Michigan State, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Before Frost took over, I would place Nebraska here, too. These are teams that usually go bowling and are often in the top 25, and NU has had good success against them on pretty equal footing.

If anything, NU is in danger of falling out of the 2nd tier and being replaced by the likes of Purdue and Minnesota. This defensive experiment needs to start bearing fruit this season or we risk losing all the momentum that we built up over the last decade. We seemed to have a good recruiting class this season, but how sustainable is that if we don't show major improvement?

I really hope that last season was just a case of the other schools playing with super-seniors while Northwestern's most talented players cashed in and entered the Draft after the 2020 season. Hopefully there's some regression to the mean. I really, really hope that the scheme was a smaller part of it than it seemed.

Wow, I went on a tangent. But yes, 2nd tier sounds about right to me.

What tier are we in then? First tier, to me, means a division contender year-in, year out. Of course we’ve won it a couple of times in the last few years but as we all know, our fortunes swing wildly from one season to the next. 2nd tier seems fair. One could make an argument for 3rd tier almost as easily as for 1st.
Nebraska isn’t 1st tier either, by the way. Our recent argument for 2nd tier is stronger than theirs, too.

Reactions: rmndcat
What tier are we in then? First tier, to me, means a division contender year-in, year out. Of course we’ve won it a couple of times in the last few years but as we all know, our fortunes swing wildly from one season to the next. 2nd tier seems fair. One could make an argument for 3rd tier almost as easily as for 1st.
Nebraska isn’t 1st tier either, by the way. Our recent argument for 2nd tier is stronger than theirs, too.
I'd argue that first tier is very limited in the B1G. It's OSU and there's really not anybody else close.

Michigan has a long way to go to be in that tier. They are much closer to Wisconsin and Penn State than they are to Ohio State.

I felt the reporter’s context was something like if Nebby loses this game to a “2nd tier”, i.e., mediocre program like NU, the season and Frost’s hc job would be in jeopardy. Don’t think the reference to NU was complementary in any way.

I felt the reporter’s context was something like if Nebby loses this game to a “2nd tier”, i.e., mediocre program like NU, the season and Frost’s hc job would be in jeopardy. Don’t think the reference to NU was complementary in any way.
I agree, but in context his point was not that ever losing to NU is despicable; it was that THIS game is must-win for Frost.
So far as anyone knows, we’re down this year, like we were last year, and Frost has not yet produced anything like Nebraska fans expect. A loss would turn up the flames on his hot seat. If we were coming off a division title last season and had a proven QB, I would be as miffed as you. Let’s win tomorrow and let Frost worry about it.

That's such a farce. They are 6-6 against Northwestern since joining the conference and won one of the six on a hail Mary play. It's not as if losing to the Cats has been a rare experience for them.

That's such a farce. They are 6-6 against Northwestern since joining the conference and won one of the six on a hail Mary play. It's not as if losing to the Cats has been a rare experience for them.
Which is more proof what I wrote in another post: Other Big Ten fans know their teams and little else. And they conveniently forget they aren't dominating Northwestern.

Those guys are lost in time. Before the Dublin game, the comments and attitudes of the Neb trolls who were posting on the prediction thread were downright pathetic. They were genuinely offended that NU fans were picking the Cats to beat Neb. Bunch of dorks.

Tiers? That's an interesting question...

Tier 1: Ohio State?
Tier 2: Michigan, Penn State, Sparty, Wisconsin?
Tier 3: Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Nebraska?
Tier 4: Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, UMD?

Before you agree or disagree with this, I bet most objective onlookers would plop us down a Tier before we obnoxiously remind them we've been Big Ten West champs twice in X years, which is easy for a non-NU fan to forget in between our 3-9 seasons. Interestingly, in any given 2-4 year stretch I'd say we could easily be promoted/relegated more than just about any other program in the conference, next to maybe Purdue and Minnesota.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT