ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Nebraska vs. Northwestern

Gotta dunk it, dude.
I like the things that Hunger brings into the game, but dunking is not one of those things, unfortunately.

Tominaga is fun to watch - he's never met a shot he didn't like - but man is it easy to abuse him on the other end of the court.

I like the things that Hunger brings into the game, but dunking is not one of those things, unfortunately.

Tominaga is fun to watch - he's never met a shot he didn't like - but man is it easy to abuse him on the other end of the court.
I’d tell him, someday you’re going to be old and stiff, and even at 7 feet you won’t be able to do it anymore. Dunk the ball every dam time you can from now until then!!!

Hope Boo and Barney get put on the bench a little earlier than in the Ohio State game. It's almost time.

Berry has a boo boo. A boo berry.
boo-berry-cereal-1973.jpg

Barney needs two more rebounds to get another double-double.

Nicholson needs two more rebounds for a single-double, but his eight rebounds is a season best!

Barnhizer has played well. 12 points, 8 rebounds, couple of assists, and great defense. The pass to Martinelli from the top of the key was a beauty.

They need to change the rules. If a team is ahead by 10 with less than 2 minutes left and is fouled, they should have the option of taking 10 second off for each foul shot or shoot them. This last 2 minutes took forever.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
They need to change the rules. If a team is ahead by 10 with less than 2 minutes left and is fouled, they should have the option of taking 10 second off for each foul shot or shoot them. This last 2 minutes took forever.
That’s a pretty good idea.

Meanwhile good sportsmanship by NU to take the shot clock violation but how annoying would it have been if that Nebby 3 went down? Idk, maybe you gotta take a shot even up 12. The difference between a 14 point win and a 9 point win is not nothing.

Reactions: SmellyCat
Game ball to Langborg: 18 points, 6 assists, 7 boards, 1 steal, 0 turnovers. And even though he missed a free throw when we really wanted one, it was his only miss on seven attempts.

Barnhizer was fantastic defensively, and his 14 points and 10 rebounds were great.

Team didn't play great in second half, but perhaps that's understandable because they were playing extensive time without even the possibility of Berry returning. Martinelli filled his shoes well, but it'll be interesting to see how they come out against Penn State if Berry is out.

We NEEDED this game. Thank you very much.

That's the other thing that is hard to see on a stat line. Man, he was a beast on defense yesterday.

Sometimes we need Barnhizer to score to complement Boo, but he's working so hard on defense that I'd rather it just be some other guy. He's easily the team's best rebounder too, and I think he had two or three put-backs last night. He does so many of the little things right.

And speaking of big plums, one of the "hard to see on a stat line" contributions last night was saving a ball off Hoiberg's, um, plums.

Sometimes we need Barnhizer to score to complement Boo, but he's working so hard on defense that I'd rather it just be some other guy. He's easily the team's best rebounder too, and I think he had two or three put-backs last night. He does so many of the little things right.

And speaking of big plums, one of the "hard to see on a stat line" contributions last night was saving a ball off Hoiberg's, um, plums.
Speaking of Hoibergs, little Hoiberg reminds me of a Chihuahua. He plays in a way that it seems he is not aware of his size. Keeps abusing putting his head down, trying to get in the paint, like he is about to bully his defender.

Game ball to Langborg: 18 points, 6 assists, 7 boards, 1 steal, 0 turnovers. And even though he missed a free throw when we really wanted one, it was his only miss on seven attempts.

I didn't watch Langborg at all last season, but figured we were getting a spot up shooter. I have been pleasantly surprised with his ability to take it to the basket and his overall game.

Reactions: drewjin and Zootcat
I know he did some JC before Nebby, does Tominaga have any more eligibility? Will be glad to see him gone (though we did hold him relatively in check last night).

Reactions: drewjin
I know he did some JC before Nebby, does Tominaga have any more eligibility? Will be glad to see him gone (though we did hold him relatively in check last night).
I wonder what Tominaga's rep is around the league with other players. Boo and Berry were clearly mocking him last night with their three-point celebrations. Wasn't sure if guys really don't like him. Yet at the end, Tominaga was quick to shake Coach Collins' hand and hug Big Matt as the clock wound down, so it seemed like there was some mutual respect.

I wonder what Tominaga's rep is around the league with other players. Boo and Berry were clearly mocking him last night with their three-point celebrations. Wasn't sure if guys really don't like him. Yet at the end, Tominaga was quick to shake Coach Collins' hand and hug Big Matt as the clock wound down, so it seemed like there was some mutual respect.
I'm not a big fan of mocking another player this way, but I guess all's fair in love & basketball.

I've noticed quite an uptick in weird celebrations in college basketball lately, particularly after made threes. It is what it is.

• Sad
My man big plums is now one of those dudes that exemplify putting up a "quiet" stat line. So often you don't even realize it until you see the numbers of how much he contributed.
He had a couple sequences back-to-back on offense and defense that were excellent, just a great glue guy and his midrange jumper is real nice.

Barnhizer has played well. 12 points, 8 rebounds, couple of assists, and great defense. The pass to Martinelli from the top of the key was a beauty.
This is "the pass" I've been looking for for two years.
Get inside position 10 feet from the basket and lob it over the top.
Everybody does that except NU, until Barnhizer to Martinelli last night.

Could do that with Hunger and Nicholson, ya know.

Nebraska didn't even guard Matt and the ball never went in to him. Not once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT