ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Fitzpatrick

This is a very good article and certainly not a puff piece. Goss is clearly miffed over this and I don't blame him.

Yes, I was also surprised at how strongly Goss felt about the decision. In my mind Matt was a risk to not finish all 4 years, but Goss apparently didn't think that he would leave this early.

In a recent Golfweek article, young Matt noted the difficulty he was having attempting to compete academically at Northwestern -- that he was putting lots and lots of time in on school but not getting very good results. I don't think that factor can be underestimated in his decision to leave. Our facilities may be top-notch, but if playing golf for a living is your focus I just don't see that the rigors of academics at a place like NU are a real fit.

Originally posted by Smolmania:
In a recent Golfweek article, young Matt noted the difficulty he was having attempting to compete academically at Northwestern -- that he was putting lots and lots of time in on school but not getting very good results. I don't think that factor can be underestimated in his decision to leave. Our facilities may be top-notch, but if playing golf for a living is your focus I just don't see that the rigors of academics at a place like NU are a real fit.
No doubt this was a big factor. If he was struggling, I certainly hope he let Pat know so that he could get the help that all athletes at NU have access to. If he did, and he just couldn't cut it academically, it is hard to blame him for his decision. But given Pat's statements that he was blindsided by this, it doesn't sound like that's what happened. It'll be interesting to see how Matt does at the Masters this week. Based on his performance a couple weeks ago on friday (shot an 82) it would seem that he could have gained a lot from a college career. Not to mention getting a degree in case he can't make it on tour (which is very very possible) which he and his parents said was so important.

Golf is a lot like boxing. Immerse yourself and you may improve. Lots of talented fighters all over the world!

Matt had a great run in the US Amateur featuring some really amazing short game play, but there are a lot of guys out there who hit the ball a lot farther than he does. The win there may have gone to his head a little bit. It sounds like the academics got to him. I remember my first quarter being a really hard adjustment but then it got better as I got more familiar with the rigor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT