ADVERTISEMENT

Article on NU signee from Dalton, Ga.

Scan through pics to see Kyric McGowan and family with Dalton coaches. Dalton is one of the great football traditions and programs in Georgia. They lost in state semis this year to Valdosta, one of the winningest HS programs in the nation.

http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/s...cle_7aff99fa-28c7-5890-9e28-cee6252addbe.html

If you're familiar with the program or got a chance to see Kyric play this year, would appreciate any comments you've got. I think he looks pretty explosive on senior tape, but is shorter and thicker than I might have guessed.

Looks like our class was around 15th nationally and 6th in the SEC. Fans are really grumbling. The lineman from Jackson, Tenn., Trey Smith, was rated #1 recruit by at least one service. But we lose a lot of players. I'm not optimistic.

Living in Chattanooga, we hear about Dalton (20 minutes away) all the time. But I just don't follow things the way I used to, so I don't know anything about this player. Dalton had been struggling for the last few years but had a great year this past season. They got to host Valdosta, which had to make a five-hour drive from the bottom of the state to the top, in a state playoff game but lost.

Don't want to jinx NU as far as NCAAs in basketball, so I'm not saying anything! :)

Looks like our class was around 15th nationally and 6th in the SEC. Fans are really grumbling. The lineman from Jackson, Tenn., Trey Smith, was rated #1 recruit by at least one service. But we lose a lot of players. I'm not optimistic.

Living in Chattanooga, we hear about Dalton (20 minutes away) all the time. But I just don't follow things the way I used to, so I don't know anything about this player. Dalton had been struggling for the last few years but had a great year this past season. They got to host Valdosta, which had to make a five-hour drive from the bottom of the state to the top, in a state playoff game but lost.

Don't want to jinx NU as far as NCAAs in basketball, so I'm not saying anything! :)
We have quite a debate on recruiting rankings going on here on the pay board. They are an imperfect measure at best, but very generally correlate with with what we see on the field. There are a few factors that make NU an exception to some of the forces that govern recruiting rankings, but the question is not so much whether NU would benefit from better prospects, but whether or not our recruiters do a good job of bringing them in. It's pretty much Groundhog Day.

Reactions: ubercat
Thanks for the links, BillVol.

Just from that short video clip Kyric seems like a very well spoken young man. The type of student-athlete that NU tends to attract. Equally impressive is the fact that he's sporting my cap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT