ADVERTISEMENT

At the new Welsh-Ryan

Just a few minutes to tip now. I'm on press row, which is on the second deck in the northeast corner.

Because the ribbon-cutting started about 45 minutes late, I didn't get as much time as I hoped to explore. But I did post a bunch of pictures on Twitter. Check them out: @WildcatReport

Walking around, though, it's difficult to even figure out where things used to be. The bump outs on each side make such a difference in terms of the size of concourses. That's gonna be great for fans. They also have a lot more concessions areas (and the already famous potato bar) and bathrooms.

They used all of the space on the north end that used to house the locker rooms and practice facilities. So the seating areas around the court is so much wider. Seating rows are a lot less steep than they used to be -- and, of course, they're seats and not benches. They have stool seating along the rails near the main concession stand, too.

The Wilson Club for the high rollers is REALLY nice. It has glass walls so they can watch the game from inside. It's like an upscale restaurant, with a nice buffet counter with beer taps, and then a seating area with tables. Then they have a walkout area where they can sit and watch the game along the rail, outside the club.

As I said earlier, it reminds me of Wintrust Arena, DePaul's home court that opened last year. This is more like an arena, though, while that felt more like a hotel ballroom that got converted. It's VERY purple in here, too. Looks great.

As far as the media goes, it's the same old, same old: Hecky's pulled pork sandwiches and chips.

Patrick Baldwin Jr. is here, along with his parents (Pat Sr. came back home). He is LONG and thin. I saw Max Christie, too.

If this game was truly "sold out"... seems like many fans couldn't find the new arena. Did they forget to print the address of the new arena on the tix?

Reactions: lunker35
I actually would have preferred the seating bowl pitch (in 108) to be slightly steeper though this is a trivial complaint. Place is amazing. If they sold beers to the general riff-raff I would upgrade (I guess it would be a downgrade) to those "drink rail" seats.

Reactions: Sec.112
Just a few minutes to tip now. I'm on press row, which is on the second deck in the northeast corner.

The Wilson Club for the high rollers is REALLY nice. It has glass walls so they can watch the game from inside. It's like an upscale restaurant, with a nice buffet counter with beer taps, and then a seating area with tables. Then they have a walkout area where they can sit and watch the game along the rail, outside the club.

Patrick Baldwin Jr. is here, along with his parents (Pat Sr. came back home). He is LONG and thin. I saw Max Christie, too.

So are the Wilsonites going to stay in their upscale restaurant rather than sit in their seats? Maybe they should have seat fillers assigned to them.

Maybe they should have seat fillers assigned to them.
This guy is available....
59deebfa9e5be60a961d7ec054a1d4ea.jpg

Reactions: Fitz51
I actually would have preferred the seating bowl pitch (in 108) to be slightly steeper though this is a trivial complaint. Place is amazing. If they sold beers to the general riff-raff I would upgrade (I guess it would be a downgrade) to those "drink rail" seats.

Had the same thought about the pitch, but the second level overhand closes every thing in and more seating in and above the student sections closes things in.

We've joked here about the numbers but the seating felt good to me. It's the first time in a long time I've been to an NU game when my back wasn't killing me by halftime. It's going to be great when it's filled for conference games

With all of the extra space in between the seating and concessions, I wonder what they'll do with SRO. What's the capacity limit. They could get another 1,000 per level standing.

Two small things. I have arthritic knees and ankles....the elevator was really great. Think they are in all four corners. And the ushers had no idea where our seats were. First event thing.

I think they nailed it. It's perfect for NU.

Reactions: Medill '03
I'll tell you what's missing based on last night.

The new Welsh Ryan needs a "safe room" for the students "triggered" by Anthony Gaines assault on the rims.

Reactions: LansingCat
I'll be going on the media tour here shortly. I'm in the press room right now. The whole place has that new arena smell. It reminds me in size, "newness" and style of DePaul's new arena.

I'll be taking pictures and I'll post a gallery/story later.
How do you become a Gold Member? Can't find it anywhere, Rivals says they don't offer it.

How do you become a Gold Member? Can't find it anywhere, Rivals says they don't offer it.
When you become a paid member of the board it shows as a silver member. You can then do certain things like read articles on the Rock and initiate personal messages. When you have been a paid member for a year it shows you as a gold member.

When you become a paid member of the board it shows as a silver member. You can then do certain things like read articles on the Rock and initiate personal messages. When you have been a paid member for a year it shows you as a gold member.

I am paying, at least my credit card is being charge. I can read articles on the Rock, but anything marked ($) I cannot view.

I am paying, at least my credit card is being charge. I can read articles on the Rock, but anything marked ($) I cannot view.
Send Lou an email. If you are a paid member you should be able to read those articles.

the arena is top notch. when the practice facility is completed is will really showcase NU as a serious destination for high-level basketball recruits

i agree with previous statements that i hope the people who bought tickets show up though!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT