ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic article I wish Fitz would read

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001

So many nuggets of wisdom, in terms of approach, but also what it took for coaches to be successful.

Key snippets I found interesting and/or I wish Fitz would get:

1. It can help if the coach also happened to be a really good player.

JON didn't really qualify there did he. I suppose its not a pre-requisite given what Hank did, but it may help.

2. Take the pulse of the team. Ask the players what they think.

If Fitz had done that the first time around, I bet we don't end up with JON

3. Understand what kind of coach you need for the team's particular circumstances. So White began looking at head coaches from lower levels. When Leipold received those phone calls, he was 100-6 at Wisconsin Whitewater (He'd finish 109-6 with six national titles).

We should be focusing on coaches who have had the highest level of success. National championships. Even if its at lower levels. Vs. people who have coached but failed miserably at higher (NFL) levels.

4. Forget Year Zero. Year 1 matters a great deal, so you'd better pick a coach who can find success quickly. White's interest in (Josh Heupel) began after someone pointed out that Mizzou had gone from No. 125 in the nation in total offense to top 10 in the two seasons Heupel had been employed as the OC.

Therefore, a quick turn around is absolutely possible with the right coach, and a) this should our effing bar and b) let's go get a Josh Heupel for our OC and the equivalent for our DC

5. TCU and Baylor were setting the world on fire. Those programs had similar traits to UCF. Talent-rich state, but beating big-brand schools by getting that kid who is 2 inches shorter but just as fast and running that style of offense. By "that style of offense," White meant an up tempo spread

Gee, where did that concept begin and why? And why are schools that suffer from similar recruiting gaps employing this approach for success? Go back to our roots Fitz, you dumbass.

Oh, btw, another Athletic article that I won't link referred to Saban changing his offense due to Hugh Freeze beating him up with the RPO and spread. Please Fitz, if Bama figured out that they had to switch offenses to score points to win, why do you think you can be successful with your bullshit complementary football?

So many nuggets of wisdom, in terms of approach, but also what it took for coaches to be successful.

JON didn't really qualify there did he. I suppose its not a pre-requisite given what Hank did, but it may help.

3. Understand what kind of coach you need for the team's particular circumstances. So White began looking at head coaches from lower levels. When Leipold received those phone calls, he was 100-6 at Wisconsin Whitewater (He'd finish 109-6 with six national titles).

We should be focusing on coaches who have had the highest level of success. National championships. Even if its at lower levels. Vs. people who have coached but failed miserably at higher (NFL) levels.

4. Forget Year Zero. Year 1 matters a great deal, so you'd better pick a coach who can find success quickly. White's interest in (Josh Heupel) began after someone pointed out that Mizzou had gone from No. 125 in the nation in total offense to top 10 in the two seasons Heupel had been employed as the OC.

Therefore, a quick turn around is absolutely possible with the right coach, and a) this should our effing bar and b) let's go get a Josh Heupel for our OC and the equivalent for our DC

5. TCU and Baylor were setting the world on fire. Those programs had similar traits to UCF. Talent-rich state, but beating big-brand schools by getting that kid who is 2 inches shorter but just as fast and running that style of offense. By "that style of offense," White meant an up tempo spread

Gee, where did that concept begin and why? And why are schools that suffer from similar recruiting gaps employing this approach for success? Go back to our roots Fitz, you dumbass.

Oh, btw, another Athletic article that I won't link referred to Saban changing his offense due to Hugh Freeze beating him up with the RPO and spread. Please Fitz, if Bama figured out that they had to switch offenses to score points to win, why do you think you can be successful with your bullshit complementary football?
I tried clicking the article but don’t have a subscription. Who is Dan White, and has he hired a coach with the recruiting restrictions that we and the other academically driven programs face?

I’m more curious in the process that led to Duke hiring Elko. Or what Vanderbilt did to get back to decency while we and Stanford have struggled.

Reactions: NVAcat and drewjin

Go back to Point #1.

I tried clicking the article but don’t have a subscription. Who is Dan White, and has he hired a coach with the recruiting restrictions that we and the other academically driven programs face?

I’m more curious in the process that led to Duke hiring Elko. Or what Vanderbilt did to get back to decency while we and Stanford have struggled.

Then get a subscription to The Athletic. You won't regret it.

• Haha
Reactions: phatcat
Then get a subscription to The Athletic. You won't regret it.
Yes I will. I barely have time to read WR these days. And I’m happy to be uber busy given how awful our football product has been.

Why get another subscription I don’t need and will barely be able to read?

Reactions: drewjin
Yes I will. I barely have time to read WR these days. And I’m happy to be uber busy given how awful our football product has been.

Why get another subscription I don’t need and will barely be able to read?

Don't bother then.

Put FOMO to rest.

Keep your Rock subscription, dump the horribly edited Wall Street Journal* and free up some cash for The Athletic. Definitely do it if they ever get a dedicated writer to cover NU sports.

*The WSJ screwed up editing a rebuttal article by misrepresenting the snow melt in Greenland by a factor of one billion. It destroyed the article and with it my subscription. Unbelievably bad journalism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT