ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic Article: Inside Illinois recruiting

coachcoccia

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2019
Really interesting article from the athletic (subscription required).A panel of high school coaches discuss recruiting in the state.

A couple of notes:
- The love for Olin Kreutz's son is real "After that, I do love (James) Kreutz as a pure football player..he’s probably the best guy I’ve seen." "He’s aggressive as shit. He’s got good size, long arms.

Hopefully he get's a PWO offer.

- Jack Lausch QB from Brother Rice got a ton of love. Not sure if he's a BIG10 Qb but he's a really good athlete.

-As far as recruiters go both Fitz and Springer got some love but a lot of coaches mentioned is Don Dobes from Dartmouth. Local guy too. Would be an interesting addition to the staff.

- I leave with this comment from a coach about our selectivity:
"Coach 4: The most impressive thing is that some of my best players, Fitz couldn’t even have. He’d say no way they could get n academically. And I’m like, “Holy shit, the kid’s going to Tulane and can’t get in at Northwestern?” And obviously, it hurts us because we have so many regular students that apply to Northwestern, so they’re probably more selective for local schools. But they’re really impressive. He’s handicapped big-time, it seems to me. When you talk about grades, that’s the first thing he talks about. If I say this kid’s not a student, he says we don’t want him. That’s crazy, that they could win with that selection."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News