ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic Article Ranking BB Coaches

The responsibility of determining the strategy and focus of the team, cultivating a team culture, motivating the players, building the team, and managing player rotations typically falls upon the head coach. Assistant coaches, on the other hand, are usually in charge of providing individualized coaching and guidance to the players in order to develop their fundamental skills. The defensive wizard 🧙‍♂️is particularly exceptional at teaching the fundamental aspects of defense, such as proper positioning and active hands. These elements make up a significant portion of playing fundamental defense. The players constantly hear the defensive wizard 🧙‍♂️emphasizing the importance of being in the right place at the right time, and they witness the bright orange fruit that proper positioning bears. Collins deserves recognition for prioritizing players who excel in defense over those who lack defensive skills in his rotations. Additionally, he should be commended for securing the services of the defensive wizard🧙‍♂️. All these factors serve as evidence that defensive excellence is a key focus in teams led by Collins.
Agreed, but Collins himself said that he did some soul searching and got back to basics.
Maybe that meant "We need to play tougher."
I don't want to credit Gragg for that!

And I think BMac and Talor Battle scrimmaging with the team probably helped too, especially for Boo Buie getting into the paint.

Better staff, better camaraderie, better results.

It doesn’t really work like that since I don’t think it is adjusted for strength of schedule. We finished 4th in the conference and, as I said, much higher than KSU. In 2012-2013, KSU finished 1st in the Big 12, and they finished 84th, if that helps illustrate the point. We had a few very good defensive teams pre-Lowery. Under Lowery, I doubt KSU finished higher than 41st more than a couple of seasons, if that.
Yeah, I get it. And I am not saying you are wrong. I see your point. I was just trying to state there are arguments to be made on both sides. Including just concluding, by the end of this season that it was all a fluke. Probably not. I hope not!

Also want to ask for TKFH to use more 🧙‍♂️ emojis!

🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️

Yeah, I get it. And I am not saying you are wrong. I see your point. I was just trying to state there are arguments to be made on both sides. Including just concluding, by the end of this season that it was all a fluke. Probably not. I hope not!

🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️
I like PPD’s nickname for Lowery. It’s very fitting.

🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️🧙‍♂️
2LXpfmR.jpg

I know these types of coaches are not common. That means your argument that NU should have them is specious. You just won’t acknowledge (you ignore, ironically) that NU faces limitations in recruiting, and thus all of your arguments are “self-serving”. Overcoming these limitations and defying all reasonable odds of success are reasons why I give so much credit to CCC. You just still can’t admit the undeniable fact that the odds are stacked against us…troubling.
Every school faces limitations. And talk about self serving: if failure, everything else to blame, if successful - all CCC! This philosophy despite no change in outside factors from year to year. So last year is all CCC but all the other years, not his fault. Pick a lane.

Guess I missed our offensive juggernaut throughout the season. Maybe one of the stat guys can list our O and D rankings under CCC?

Maybe the stats guys can list all those good Carmody years?

After the O and D rankings throughout the CCC period, sure. I’ll be using those to bolster the earlier argument.

I picked up a new follower. Apparently Lou enjoys my posts! Does he follow any of you?

Wtf are you even talking about? What time is it there in Thailand?

Why don’t you read the posts in this thread instead of bitching about CCC like he stole your girlfriend? Some well thought out responses from The kid, Gato, PWB, and Clairification that recognize both strengths and weaknesses of CCC over recent years.

Can’t wait for another season of your drivel when you expect us to finish 2nd in the B1G again because of our great talent and defensively wizard 🧙‍♂️ on the sidelines.
12 hours time difference - this is an amazing place.

Sorry, forgot about your ADD. Here ya go. And I look forward to another great NUMBB season, chirping with you about what’s really going on with the games and listening to you you and SD heap PF level praise on your next PF level demigod.

But as long as we are winning, you can credit whatever you want for the big leap in improved D compared to prior years. Kinda like PF is really what made the D great during those Hank years but admissions dragged it down otherwise…

Oh, and if it gets to be too much, remember Ignore is your friend but Ignore2 simply tells it how it is :) Time to go dive again

The responsibility of determining the strategy and focus of the team, cultivating a team culture, motivating the players, building the team, and managing player rotations typically falls upon the head coach. Assistant coaches, on the other hand, are usually in charge of providing individualized coaching and guidance to the players in order to develop their fundamental skills. The defensive wizard 🧙‍♂️is particularly exceptional at teaching the fundamental aspects of defense, such as proper positioning and active hands. These elements make up a significant portion of playing fundamental defense. The players constantly hear the defensive wizard 🧙‍♂️emphasizing the importance of being in the right place at the right time, and they witness the bright orange fruit that proper positioning bears. Collins deserves recognition for prioritizing players who excel in defense over those who lack defensive skills in his rotations. Additionally, he should be commended for securing the services of the defensive wizard🧙‍♂️. All these factors serve as evidence that defensive excellence is a key focus in teams led by Collins.
Ok - can agree as long as we can agree that failing to do these things and the subsequent head coach also are on that same head coach.

This is my main point. I can live with giving ultimate credit to CCC for the success but he also takes the responsibility for the failures because the responsibility of determining the strategy and focus of the team, cultivating a team culture, motivating the players, building the team, and managing player rotations typically falls upon the head coach.

Why is that such a hard thing? Dude is human. PF is human. They have flaws. It’s ok.

It doesn’t really work like that since I don’t think it is adjusted for strength of schedule. We finished 4th in the conference and, as I said, much higher than KSU. In 2012-2013, KSU finished 1st in the Big 12, and they finished 84th, if that helps illustrate the point. We had a few very good defensive teams pre-Lowery. Under Lowery, I doubt KSU finished higher than 41st more than a couple of seasons, if that.
How about this - can anyone point me to a website that maintains team rankings for O and D over the years? I’ll compile a chart.

Every school faces limitations. And talk about self serving: if failure, everything else to blame, if successful - all CCC! This philosophy despite no change in outside factors from year to year. So last year is all CCC but all the other years, not his fault. Pick a lane.
Not the same limitations at all…you just don’t / won’t allow yourself to get it.

And you forget so quickly that I was THE one saying that our team was actually performing better each year despite what guys like you said. CCC was never perfect, but he never deserved the kind of ridicule and blame that guys like you heaped on him. Read @clarificationcat once more - how 8-12 and 12-8 are so close. That’s my lane. Yours is going into oncoming traffic.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Not the same limitations at all…you just don’t / won’t allow yourself to get it.

And you forget so quickly that I was THE one saying that our team was actually performing better each year despite what guys like you said. CCC was never perfect, but he never deserved the kind of ridicule and blame that guys like you heaped on him. Read @clarificationcat once more - how 8-12 and 12-8 are so close. That’s my lane. Yours is going into oncoming traffic.
It’s just Bob’s schtick. He try’s to paint anyone that supports CCC or PF as blind to any flaws they have or have had. The facts are most supports also acknowledge those flaws and have said so many times. His refusal to recognize that there are admissions hurdles that NU faces that no other team in the conference faces shows his refusal to accept anything that might undermine his illogical arguments. He has cute names like enablers and apologists for anyone that doesn’t see things his way.

Ok - can agree as long as we can agree that failing to do these things and the subsequent head coach also are on that same head coach.

This is my main point. I can live with giving ultimate credit to CCC for the success but he also takes the responsibility for the failures because the responsibility of determining the strategy and focus of the team, cultivating a team culture, motivating the players, building the team, and managing player rotations typically falls upon the head coach.

Why is that such a hard thing? Dude is human. PF is human. They have flaws. It’s ok.

It’s just Bob’s schtick. He try’s to paint anyone that supports CCC or PF as blind to any flaws they have or have had. The facts are most supports also acknowledge those flaws and have said so many times. His refusal to recognize that there are admissions hurdles that NU faces that no other team in the conference faces shows his refusal to accept anything that might undermine his illogical arguments. He has cute names like enablers and apologists for anyone that doesn’t see things his way.
Yet, time and again, y’all choose to ignore the most rational component of my post. And that’s ok - can lead horse to water…

Another forgotten post from way above - hopefully it doesn’t matter. Lowery is here. CCC is here. And hopefully the D led Cats continue to thrive - so really doesn’t matter who any of us choose to give the credit.

Hopefully Lowery does not leave for a HC gig. Not CCC sign somewhere else because that more likely leads to a drop off and I rather enjoy a winning program than be proven right (or wrong, though that’s rare so highly unlikely :p )

Now - go hit pick the bits you need to flail over cuz in your DC / Marvels world, you need an enemy and you think it’s me. Carry on smart folk.

Show me one post that SD acknowledges a CCC flaw. Just one.

According to Ken Pomeroy, these are Kansas State's records and defensive ratings during the Bruce Weber / Chris Lowery years. The year is when the season ended (so March of 2022, etc).

2013 27-8 #52
2014 20-13 #16
2015 15-17 #68
2016 17-16 #25
2017 21-14 #33
2018 25-12 #21
2019 25-9 #3
2020 11-21 #40
2021 9-20 #100
2022 14-17 #66

CC being relegated to where he is is largely self-inflicted.

While the 2 Tourney appearances are incredible highs, they were separated by 6 years of not even coming close to the post season.

A good coach doesn't have such wide fluctuations, much less such an extended period of futility.

CC, himself, has stated that he didn't do a good coaching job the season after the 1st Tourney appearance, and the successive years of failure was largely due to his infatuation with building the team around a stretch 4, going away from the template of team composition that he first found success with.

Think CC has learned from his errors and that we'll see more consistent success from here on out.

While the 2 Tourney appearances are incredible highs, they were separated by 6 years of not even coming close to the post season.

A good coach doesn't have such wide fluctuations, much less such an extended period of futility.

CC, himself, has stated that he didn't do a good coaching job the season after the 1st Tourney appearance, and the successive years of failure was largely due to his infatuation with building the team around a stretch 4, going away from the template of team composition that he first found success with.

Think CC has learned from his errors and that we'll see more consistent success from here on out.
Everyone has errors / wishes they could have done things differently. (Dan Hurley yelled incessantly at his players and refs and finally realized last year that it was not productive). Just because CCC was humble enough to admit it doesn’t mean it should count against him more than others.

I can’t keep saying how we kept improving in those down years, but I will note it again. And an infatuation with stretch 4 - says who? Missed open shots, lay ups and free throws are more what explained our inability to finish higher in the BIG.

I will actually be very pleasantly surprised if we maintain consistent success, as no coach has achieved that in 90 years and I’ve mentioned the inherent disadvantages that won’t seem to go away.

And FWIW - CCC is a MUCH better coach than Ed Cooley, a Tier 2.

^ Where did I ever say his mistakes count more than for others?

The mistakes CC made were not all too dissimilar to those made by Fitz (scheme/hiring of assistants, team composition, recruiting strategy, etc.), but generally, haven't seen CC repeatedly making the same mistakes, so have high hopes to see more sustained success for the future.

I can’t keep saying how we kept improving in those down years, but I will note it again. And an infatuation with stretch 4 - says who? Missed open shots, lay ups and free throws are more what explained our inability to finish higher in the BIG.

I will actually be very pleasantly surprised if we maintain consistent success, as no coach has achieved that in 90 years and I’ve mentioned the inherent disadvantages that won’t seem to go away.

Maybe CC trying to run the O thru Kopp and then Nance rings a bell?

There were also Falzon, Rap and Beran - all bigs (and among the highest rated recruits) who supposedly were adept at hitting the 3, but really weren't and didn't bring enough of other things to the table.

And while the highs weren't as high, the program did see some sustained success when it went to 4 straight NITs (would have been 5 but for all the injuries and Cobb's suspension).

Not even expecting to make the post season every year.

Out of a 4 yr cycle, 1 Tourney and 2 NIT appearances will do just fine (can miss a year due to injuries, having a young team).

Last edited:
He tries zone (a few times; certainly not more than a few minutes in a few games) and is unsuccessful and that makes it “bad years”?
This is your idea being critical? Yes, I’ll take last word. You proved my point precisely.

According to Ken Pomeroy, these are Kansas State's records and defensive ratings during the Bruce Weber / Chris Lowery years. The year is when the season ended (so March of 2022, etc).

2013 27-8 #52
2014 20-13 #16
2015 15-17 #68
2016 17-16 #25
2017 21-14 #33
2018 25-12 #21
2019 25-9 #3
2020 11-21 #40
2021 9-20 #100
2022 14-17 #66
How about the ones for NU during CCC? Must be a reason nobody wants to post them…

^ Where did I ever say his mistakes count more than for others?

The mistakes CC made were not all too dissimilar to those made by Fitz (scheme/hiring of assistants, team composition, recruiting strategy, etc.), but generally, haven't seen CC repeatedly making the same mistakes, so have high hopes to see more sustained success for the future.

Maybe CC trying to run the O thru Kopp and then Nance rings a bell?

There were also Falzon, Rap and Beran - all bigs (and among the highest rated recruits) who supposedly were adept at hitting the 3, but really weren't and didn't bring enough of other things to the table.

And while the highs weren't as high, the program did see some sustained success when it went to 4 straight NITs (would have been 5 but for all the injuries and Cobb's suspension).

Not even expecting to make the post season every year.

Out of a 4 yr cycle, 1 Tourney and 2 NIT appearances will do just fine (can miss a year due to injuries, having a young team).
All fair points. With the thread being about CCC’s ranking, I just wanted to emphasize that other coaches make mistakes and some
may not be so open about them. I also didn’t agree with “infatuation” about the stretch 4 - it is a key position / trend these days and I don’t fault him for recruiting it. He also went with his best guys he had (Nance, Koop) even if they were (not surprisingly) quite as talented overall as other teams’ players.

This is your idea being critical? Yes, I’ll take last word. You proved my point precisely.
Due to your conclusion being based on lack of information, I will reply despite my last word offer. I’ve many times said CCC is not perfect, and I’ve openly criticized his inability to prevent the kick and drive by other teams, leading to 3-point daggers going against us. I’ve also agreed with others on our poor zone play. But I got really amped up defending CCC when guys like you wanted him fired. Someone needed to have the gumption to take a long-term view realizing NU’s limitations and stay the course and believe in a talented individual and not be a macho “you’re fired” guy and not make a message board type (over)reaction when we all are easily frustrated by losing close games. And I did the work years ago to find and present data that proved we were still a good team amd we’re making progress, and you are asking others in this very thread where to even look for data. Go throw a laughing face on that. You were wrong about Collins. Own it. He should be ranked way higher than he is and loved by our fan base.

Due to your conclusion being based on lack of information, I will reply despite my last word offer. I’ve many times said CCC is not perfect, and I’ve openly criticized his inability to prevent the kick and drive by other teams, leading to 3-point daggers going against us. I’ve also agreed with others on our poor zone play. But I got really amped up defending CCC when guys like you wanted him fired. Someone needed to have the gumption to take a long-term view realizing NU’s limitations and stay the course and believe in a talented individual and not be a macho “you’re fired” guy and not make a message board type (over)reaction when we all are easily frustrated by losing close games. And I did the work years ago to find and present data that proved we were still a good team amd we’re making progress, and you are asking others in this very thread where to even look for data. Go throw a laughing face on that. You were wrong about Collins. Own it. He should be ranked way higher than he is and loved by our fan base.
1. Find a quote. We have archives. Last time you claimed to be critical, we saw your idea of critical. (You won’t, doesn’t exist.)
2. I get we won’t agree. What makes your cred even better is that you whole heartedly attack the mainstream media professional, whose livelihood is dependent upon his knowledge of something you monitor as a pastime. Not only is he wrong, per you, but very, very wrong.

Own it?
1. I loved the public dress down. It worked.
2. I love that ccc was man enough to accept that his performance did suck and changes were necessary. Where or how lowery became an assistant coach, none of us actually know. Could have been ccc. Could have been Gagg. Could have been Ryan. But CCC embraced Lowery and let him do his thing. Credit for that.
3. CCC seems to be a good recruiter. Developer, keeper of talent, line up strategist - not so much. I hope we get another guy on the staff with an innovative O system. A modern Carmody ( his O schemes were good, D - not so much….) Then I hope CCC gives that freedom again and we reach another level.

It would be awesome if CCC made NU a pipeline for assistant coaches. Finding young fresh schematic minds and riding them to success. I bet CCC would improve his weak spots in the process.

Anywho - I’ll sit and wait for your excuse on why you won’t find a historic quote showing your ability to be critical - cuz we know your next post will be to attack me and do anything to distract from the fact there is zero evidence of you ever being critical of St Chris.

This is an insane take. Particularly, when Northwestern and all its disadvantages are taken into consideration.

This is an insane take. Particularly, when Northwestern and all its disadvantages are taken into consideration.
Yeah, I don't know if it's "insane" but it doesn't take into account just how low the margin of error is at NU.

The good teams in CBB are overwhelmingly led by either upperclassmen, NBA prospects, or a mix of both. We completely whiffed on the classes of 2016 and 2017 (Anthony Gaines, Barret Benson, Isiah Brown, Rap). This made it so that the years those guys would be upperclassmen were basically lost causes (teams led by non-NBA freshmen and sophomores) and then we had to deal with the transfer of those players that were tired of losing in empty arenas. Yes, you can argue that Collins should have recruited better or developed more of those players, but:

- It's only four players - bigger schools have freshmen classes bigger than that since they are just able to churn through non-starters or are sending guys to the NBA
- The recruiting limitations put in place by academic standards at NU limits who they could get in the first place
- When guys transfer or don't work out, we have a way harder time recruiting transfers to play to stop the gap
- We don't (or didn't, depending on how you view Boo/Chase) have the NIL operation that makes us sensitive to poaching

TL;DR - institutional limitations make any missteps extremely amplified at NU and are way harder to get out of.

And to UpsetAlert's point - we had really good back to back classes in 2019 and 2020 (Buie, Audige, Beran, Berry, Nicholson) which resulted in last year's run, and why I'm hopeful for this year and next year (because the 2020 guys + Barnhizer are eligible to come back).

A table for people who like (and respect) meaningful statistics...
This is Ken Pomeroy's ratings and methodology.
There were about 350-355 teams in the rankings, depending on the year.
If you are ranked 1, then you are the best.
KSU is Kansas State, when Bruce Weber was head coach and Chris Lowery was assistant.

SeasonNU RecordNU OffNU DefNU LuckKSU RecordKSU OffKSU DefKSU Luck
2022-2322-128822117
2021-2215-161017333114-175766344
2020-219-15132373319-20226100117
2019-208-2313115033411-2117740348
2018-1913-192041934825-998365
2017-1815-17969032625-12782131
2016-1724-12593213521-144233256
2015-1620-12718717817-1610125298
2014-1515-1710015116115-1712068158
2013-1414-192882310120-1312516185

I think we can all agree that Kansas State was much better at defense than offense, regardless of how good they were overall.

NU had a 5 year run of "terrible luck" between the two NCAA appearances. Also NU has never been particularly lucky. (In Ken Pom's world, "luck" means actual wins vs expected wins. So a team ranked about 176 in luck is winning about as many games as their overall performance expects)

Lastly, NU under Chris Collins has played better defense than offense, in general.

Reactions: TheC
All the disadvantages that still allowed them to make NIT repeatedly and that guy got fired. Another guy gets to NCAA twice but still folks have some midget syndrome.

KSU is Kansas State, when Bruce Weber was head coach and Chris Lowery was assistant.

2022-2322-128822117

I think we can all agree that Kansas State was much better at defense than offense, regardless of how good they were overall.

NU had a 5 year run of "terrible luck" between the two NCAA appearances. Also NU has never been particularly lucky. (In Ken Pom's world, "luck" means actual wins vs expected wins. So a team ranked about 176 in luck is winning about as many games as their overall performance expects)

Lastly, NU under Chris Collins has played better defense than offense, in general.
I’m surprise by these stats. I really didn’t expect NU to have the D rankings as high as they were. That’s most curious.

Of course you didn’t because it was all Coach Lowry. There was this guy named Chase who could play a little defense.
Never said he couldn’t. In fact, big fan of chase on D. But I’m holding out belief that we will still be a defense oriented team this year.

2022-2322-128822117

Trying to remember what was the team in 2019-2020. Seems like such an outlier in terms of our defense. Was that the year we lost Law and Pardon and had a bunch of freshmen?

Trying to remember what was the team in 2019-2020. Seems like such an outlier in terms of our defense. Was that the year we lost Law and Pardon and had a bunch of freshmen?
Correct, that was the Pat Spencer team, featuring sophs Kopp and Nance, along with frosh Boo, Young and Beran. Gaines was the best defender but got hurt and ended up redshirting.

Correct, that was the Pat Spencer team, featuring sophs Kopp and Nance, along with frosh Boo, Young and Beran. Gaines was the best defender but got hurt and ended up redshirting.
Also a team that played an absurd amount of bad zone defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT