ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon - Anonymous coaches on NU

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
Northwestern

David Braun might go down as one of the best interim head coaches in the history of the game. What he was able to do to keep that locker room committed and the culture going after [Pat] Fitzgerald was really remarkable."

"Really curious how the [Zach] Lujan hire at offensive coordinator works out for them. SDSU ran a lot of motion and shift and did a good job tailoring to the roster, and that’s something that Northwestern has really struggled with over the last few seasons."

"This is a team in desperate need of a consistent offensive identity they can recruit to.”

- Seems pretty spot on...

Reading that first quote, I thought back to Minnesota and Maryland and cracked an unintentional smile. What a season it was.

What a job he did. “Hey newcomer, go pretend you’re a head coach — which you’ve never done.” And he continued recruit and to sell a program he hardly knew and to sell a vision to half a team that he didn’t expect to know…all while coordinating a vastly improved defense, which was actually his real job.

Just truly remarkable.

I wonder if he ever had any “what the hell did I get myself into?” moments, or if it was all “this is a great opportunity and this can be a great comeback story.”

100% totally agree on offensive identity, but we've also now had three OCs in five years with one who hasn't fielded an offense here yet.

20-30 years ago I really considered us to be Running Back U., and that was pretty cool.

It's nice to know that most Big Ten teams won't/don't sleep on us, but they also consider a loss to us to be a stunner.

Northwestern

David Braun might go down as one of the best interim head coaches in the history of the game. What he was able to do to keep that locker room committed and the culture going after [Pat] Fitzgerald was really remarkable."

"Really curious how the [Zach] Lujan hire at offensive coordinator works out for them. SDSU ran a lot of motion and shift and did a good job tailoring to the roster, and that’s something that Northwestern has really struggled with over the last few seasons."

"This is a team in desperate need of a consistent offensive identity they can recruit to.”

- Seems pretty spot on...

100% totally agree on offensive identity, but we've also now had three OCs in five years with one who hasn't fielded an offense here yet.

20-30 years ago I really considered us to be Running Back U., and that was pretty cool.

It's nice to know that most Big Ten teams won't/don't sleep on us, but they also consider a loss to us to be a stunner.

I’m choosing to take the optimist’s position that NU could really take off in 2026 once (I) Lujan has time to establish said offensive identity and recruit to it, (II) Braun has his feet under him even more as HC, and (III) the new Ryan Field becomes an actual reality.

I’m choosing to take the optimist’s position that NU could really take off in 2026 once (I) Lujan has time to establish said offensive identity and recruit to it, (II) Braun has his feet under him even more as HC, and (III) the new Ryan Field becomes an actual reality.

I share your optimism for these reasons. The thing that sucks is it's only 2024.

I like our team this year. 2025 could be a rough one because of players losses and the schedule is ridiculous. If we can win those three nonconference games this year (I know...Duke), we could have a decent season, Can't expect a late season surge like last year with Ohio State and Michigan on the bill for November.

Definitely going to have to readjust expectations since the Cats no longer get the benefit of playing in the B1GW and to give Braun and his staff time to rebuild the talent pool with players suited for their schemes (after all the defections/light recruiting classes).

Reactions: Figrating
Funny how two things are consistent event among coaches:

PJ Fleck is widely viewed as a hot-footed job-hopper.

Nebraska preseason hype remains ridiculous and unchecked
Not sure why Fleck is considered such a hot footed job hopper. Isn't this his 8th year at Minn year at Minn? And he was at WMU for 4 and it was a logical move from there when he made it.

Unfortunately that takes a lot of optimism cause we will have had an awful lot of losses in the last couple years through the portal where we have lost starters off our team and replaced with backups off other teams and have to reestablish recruiting at a higher level than we have seen so far plus it takes a while for many of them to develop

I like our team this year. 2025 could be a rough one because of players losses and the schedule is ridiculous. If we can win those three nonconference games this year (I know...Duke), we could have a decent season, Can't expect a late season surge like last year with Ohio State and Michigan on the bill for November.
Without a major influx of transfer talent, we are in big trouble in 2025.

Because he’s “back channeled” interest in a lot of jobs.
Didn’t we have a former coach rumored to every NCAA and NFL job? I guess his agent would have never backchanneled those rumors to improve his client’s bargaining position. Or perhaps we simply have a different standard when a golden boy does it…

Didn’t we have a former coach rumored to every NCAA and NFL job? I guess his agent would have never backchanneled those rumors to improve his client’s bargaining position. Or perhaps we simply have a different standard when a golden boy does it…

Fitz didn’t seek out jobs. Fleck did.

And the only really legitimate interest to Fitz was even somewhat reciprocated was from Michigan.

Fitz didn’t seek out jobs. Fleck did.

And the only really legitimate interest to Fitz was even somewhat reciprocated was from Michigan.
Hmmmmm - I recall ND, the Bears, the Packers just to start. I could swear there were others. Wonder where those rumors started? Maybe similar to the birthplace of the fleck rumors? Oh, and did PF end up with some very generous contracts during those times?

Meh - golden boy, rules are different for him. He has clearly convinced many of you of that.

Reactions: JoeWildcat
Equaling last season's record might be a stretch, as we did lose some really important pieces from last year's team.

Reactions: usopen30
Hmmmmm - I recall ND, the Bears, the Packers just to start. I could swear there were others. Wonder where those rumors started? Maybe similar to the birthplace of the fleck rumors? Oh, and did PF end up with some very generous contracts during those times?

Meh - golden boy, rules are different for him. He has clearly convinced many of you of that.

Those were media rumors, nothing more. The Michigan interest was legit. Texas was lukewarm.

Not sure why Fleck is considered such a hot footed job hopper. Isn't this his 8th year at Minn year at Minn? And he was at WMU for 4 and it was a logical move from there when he made it.
He’s a shameless self promoter who hopped jobs at the quickest optimal moment for his whole career and has openly flirted with other jobs repeatedly at MN.

He’s a shameless self promoter who hopped jobs at the quickest optimal moment for his whole career and has openly flirted with other jobs repeatedly at MN.
After 4 years at WMU (and going 13-1 in his final year) he got offered a BIG HC gig and took it. Who would not have taken that? Salary increase between 5 and ten times? Self promoting? Can say that about plenty of HCs. Flirting with other jobs? A person that doesn't keep track of what is going on in the industry is a fool. And the fact is that he has stayed at MN for now his 8th year. If he is so busy flirting with other opportunities, you would think he would have moved on by now. Even Fitz and Barnett basically flirted with other opportunities.

I get that you don't care for him and that is fine (can't say I really care for him that much either). But the rest basically feels like you trying to justify why you don't care for him

Last edited:
Reactions: 2388bb
After 4 years at WMU he got offered a BIG HC gig and took it. Who would not have taken that? Salary increase between 5 and ten times? Self promoting? Can say that about plenty of HCs. Flirting with other jobs? A person that doesn't keep track of what is going on in the industry is a fool. And the fact is that he has stayed at MN for now his 8th year. If he is so busy flirting with other opportunites, you would think he would have moved on by now. Even Fitz and Barnett basically flirted with other opportunities.

I get that you don't care for him and that is fine (can't say I really care for him that much either). But the rest basically feels like you trying to justify why you don't care for him
There are a ton of reasons not to care for him. Thinking he would not have taken an opportunity that presented itself over the last 8 years is foolish. Just maybe, he is not such a hot commodity.

Bob, you need to stick to your bailiwick of speculation on the outcome of NU’s hazing suits.

Of course, if this were true, I am sure you would access the hundreds of credible sources that confirmed all of those job offers that Fitz had. Sir Yacht doesn’t count.

There are a ton of reasons not to care for him. Thinking he would not have taken an opportunity that presented itself over the last 8 years is foolish. Just maybe, he is not such a hot commodity.
Did not say that there were not lots of reasons not to care for him. Being very rah, rah and rowing the boat are a couple of them, Beating us when he was with WMU another, But claiming he is a hot footed job hopper does not jive with the facts. Have to think he was a pretty hot commodity after going 11-2 in 2019 and he also got to 9-4 a couple times in 2021 and 2022.. Plus pretty good in bowls.

Did not say that there were not lots of reasons not to care for him. Being very rah, rah and rowing the boat are a couple of them, Beating us when he was with WMU another, But claiming he is a hot footed job hopper does not jive with the facts. Have to think he was a pretty hot commodity after going 11-2 in 2019 and he also got to 9-4 a couple times in 2021 and 2022.. Plus pretty good in bowls.
If you want to keep obtuse, whatever, but this thread is all about yet another public example of his colleagues calling him a shameless job hopper who is constantly sniffing around to job hop after job hopping his whole career, so whatever

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
What's your point? If that is what he wants to do and test the waters, why not? He resurrected 2 average teams and made them rather competitive. I mean if he had a shot at say OSU or U of M he would be a fool for not at least trying for it. Fitz had 4 good years of great football, then decided to phone it in pretty much after 2018. Unlike Fleck, Fitz got his HC job due to a tragedy and was hired on the fly. He ended up being a good coach, but ended up being a smug prick, who took the money and ran. In the process, he ruined his reputation as a coach, and I am only talking about on the field results, not the hazing stuff. The Fitzgerald mystique wore off.

What's your point? If that is what he wants to do and test the waters, why not? He resurrected 2 average teams and made them rather competitive. I mean if he had a shot at say OSU or U of M he would be a fool for not at least trying for it. Fitz had 4 good years of great football, then decided to phone it in pretty much after 2018. Unlike Fleck, Fitz got his HC job due to a tragedy and was hired on the fly. He ended up being a good coach, but ended up being a smug prick, who took the money and ran. In the process, he ruined his reputation as a coach, and I am only talking about on the field results, not the hazing stuff. The Fitzgerald mystique wore off.
Fitz lived and died based on his coordinators. He hired a beauty in Hank who carried us to glory. As we know, the other side of the ball was very inconsistent. Hank retired and he finally hired a suitable replacement only to be forced out by…hey, what’s up with that Lynch report?

Fitz lived and died based on his coordinators. He hired a beauty in Hank who carried us to glory. As we know, the other side of the ball was very inconsistent. Hank retired and he finally hired a suitable replacement only to be forced out by…hey, what’s up with that Lynch report?
All HCs do (live and die with the coordinators they have). And as you say, Fitz had righted the ship after the JON disaster with the hiring of Braun and he had last years team set up to win

I was with you till you went to took the money and ran. He had last years team set up for success. He had righted the disaster of JON. (Jake was never the problem JON was)

All HCs do (live and die with the coordinators they have). And as you say, Fitz had righted the ship after the JON disaster with the hiring of Braun and he had last years team set up to win
Speaking of his body of work, Hank’s defense of Fitz is the single thing that makes the “hazing” narrative most highly questionable. That guy must have seen everything in a long and storied career. I mean he was at Colorado during the Sal Aunese drama.

Again, the Lynch Report is in which binder on what shelf?

Jake was arguably worse than JON.
How is that? JON took us from first to last basically overnight With the same people that had been very successful the year before and was awful from start to finish. Jake gave us at least had a couple acceptable seasons. His big problem was nothing in QB pipeline when he got here. Granted he did not really improve that as much as most would like and he was likely to be sent packing after last year regardless, but he was not the immediate and continuous horror show that JON was

Last edited:
How is that? Jake took us from first to last basically overnight and was awful from start to finish. Jake gave us at least had a couple acceptable seasons. His big problem was nothing in QB pipeline when he got here. Granted he did not really improve that as much as most would like and he was likely to be sent packing after last year regardless, but he was not the immediate and continuous horror show that JON was
I don’t know who was worse, but the drop off from Hank to JON was massive while the change from McCall to Jake was negligible (the offense stunk under both).

Speaking of his body of work, Hank’s defense of Fitz is the single thing that makes the “hazing” narrative most highly questionable. That guy must have seen everything in a long and storied career. I mean he was at Colorado during the Sal Aunese drama.

Again, the Lynch Report is in which binder on what shelf?
It was announced that the Lynch report was going to be made public. She must still be working on it. Coming up on a year now.

Reactions: drewjin
I don’t know who was worse, but the drop off from Hank to JON was massive while the change from McCall to Jake was negligible (the offense stunk under both). It was passable with a good D. But the D was a disaster that even a great O could not overcome
We could live with Jake for a while but JON was a disaster from day 1

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT