ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance Question

DarthCat

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
It is possible to see the home attendance stats for all division 1 programs somewhere? I am curious as to what is happening at Duke and, especially, Stanford.

Some "rough" numbers I have heard. Please let me know where I am off or wrong:

NU Undergraduates: 8,200
Percentage of NU Student Body from Chicago Area: 20%
NU Graduates from the Chicago Area graduating each year: 8,200 x .25 x .20 = 410

In my own experience, of all the people I graduated with from my fraternity, almost all of them went back to from where they came. For every one who stayed 5 years after graduating, and was from outside Chicago, another one from Chicago left the area for opportunities elsewhere.

Using my percentages, and assuming that 1) 100% of the 410 NU alumni coming out each year become regular game attendees, and 2) that each brings a date, that's 820 new additions added to the attendance figures each year. At that rate, in 50 years, we still wouldn't have enough alumni coming out and living in the Chicago area to sell out the stadium.

Even if you were to change my percentages to 40% from Chicago area, that's still only 820 graduates added to the pool each year and 1,640 added in to account for their dates. In this case, it's still almost 30 years to have enough grads coming out and living around Chicago to fill up the stadium. Again, this is 100% graduate participation.

Compare this to say, Iowa.

Iowa Undergraduates: 21,000
Percentage of Iowa Student Body from Iowa Area: 70%
Iowa Graduates from Iowa graduating each year: 21,000 x .25 x .70 = 3,675

Again, if they bring dates, that's 7,350 people added to the pool each year. That's less than 10 years to churn out new alumni to completely fill the place.

These numbers don't even take into consideration that as a 'state school', Iowa plays to and draws fans from their entire state population, as do all state schools, regardless whether the fan went there or not.

If this kind of logic holds true, I would fully expect to see that despite their success, Stanford, Vanderbilt and Duke all struggling to sell out.

"At that rate, in 50 years, we still wouldn't have enough alumni coming out and living in the Chicago area to sell out the stadium."

Not to be grim, but how does your model account for alumni death rates?

Looks like in a season where they've been ranked, Top 10 at times, superstar players in Hogan and McCaffrey and in the NFP conversation, attendance reflects that with an average attendance of 49,314/50,000, 98%.

Wonder if they could fill a 70 thousand capacity stadium?

Duke's attendance, even in a competitive year, is abysmal.

It is possible to see the home attendance stats for all division 1 programs somewhere? I am curious as to what is happening at Duke and, especially, Stanford.

Some "rough" numbers I have heard. Please let me know where I am off or wrong:

NU Undergraduates: 8,200
Percentage of NU Student Body from Chicago Area: 20%
NU Graduates from the Chicago Area graduating each year: 8,200 x .25 x .20 = 410

In my own experience, of all the people I graduated with from my fraternity, almost all of them went back to from where they came. For every one who stayed 5 years after graduating, and was from outside Chicago, another one from Chicago left the area for opportunities elsewhere.

Using my percentages, and assuming that 1) 100% of the 410 NU alumni coming out each year become regular game attendees, and 2) that each brings a date, that's 820 new additions added to the attendance figures each year. At that rate, in 50 years, we still wouldn't have enough alumni coming out and living in the Chicago area to sell out the stadium.

Even if you were to change my percentages to 40% from Chicago area, that's still only 820 graduates added to the pool each year and 1,640 added in to account for their dates. In this case, it's still almost 30 years to have enough grads coming out and living around Chicago to fill up the stadium. Again, this is 100% graduate participation.

Compare this to say, Iowa.

Iowa Undergraduates: 21,000
Percentage of Iowa Student Body from Iowa Area: 70%
Iowa Graduates from Iowa graduating each year: 21,000 x .25 x .70 = 3,675

Again, if they bring dates, that's 7,350 people added to the pool each year. That's less than 10 years to churn out new alumni to completely fill the place.

These numbers don't even take into consideration that as a 'state school', Iowa plays to and draws fans from their entire state population, as do all state schools, regardless whether the fan went there or not.

If this kind of logic holds true, I would fully expect to see that despite their success, Stanford, Vanderbilt and Duke all struggling to sell out.
Don't know why these facts come as a surprise to you, since this subject has been discussed repeatably on these boards. Want to see a Div.1 program with abysmal attendance, well then don't need to look any farther then the self proclaimed #1 program in Illinois... NIU. Without researching the numbers, I don't think that they averaged 15,000 per game and that's from a school that has about 30,000 students

Don't know why these facts come as a surprise to you, since this subject has been discussed repeatably on these boards. Want to see a Div.1 program with abysmal attendance, well then don't need to look any farther then the self proclaimed #1 program in Illinois... NIU. Without researching the numbers, I don't think that they averaged 15,000 per game and that's from a school that has about 30,000 students
Right under 16,000 per game. Capacity a tad over 50%.

for whatever rezon, it seems to me that attendance has been down, generally, at most sporting events. other than longtime sth. nascar is completely trashed. nfl i et is down. it didnt look like STL had 75% full yesterdayagainst the bears. private college teams in big markets dont have a chance. boston college the U NU etc.
maybe it is the new sports packages on TV. plus all the damn time outs now in football and its a fairly boring venue unless you have exciing offenses. That said, W/R seems like the perfect fit as our BB program offers exciting play and possible sellouts. tickets are much more modest.

Looks like in a season where they've been ranked, Top 10 at times, superstar players in Hogan and McCaffrey and in the NFP conversation, attendance reflects that with an average attendance of 49,314/50,000, 98%.

Wonder if they could fill a 70 thousand capacity stadium?

Duke's attendance, even in a competitive year, is abysmal.
Stanford used to seat 75,000-plus before they remodeled and had a lot of trouble filling those seats. I think their stadium size (and ours, for that matter) is about right for a small private school. Rice is a huge capacity stadium (from the olden days, just like Stanford's was) and it really looks empty for their games even when they get a decent crowd (which isn't too often).

With the cost of sporting events today, I'm amazed attendance is as high as it is. Take a family to an event at many places now and you're out a couple of hundred bucks before you've even accounted for travel, parking, expenses etc. If you're following a team that is continuously noncompetitive or even one that is fairly decent, it's a lot of money to shell out.

With the cost of sporting events today, I'm amazed attendance is as high as it is. Take a family to an event at many places now and you're out a couple of hundred bucks before you've even accounted for travel, parking, expenses etc. If you're following a team that is continuously noncompetitive or even one that is fairly decent, it's a lot of money to shell out.

In addition to your excellent point about cost, pretty much every game is on TV now. The advent of HD TV and huge screens makes watching a game at home so much better than going in person. The in-game atmosphere can't be replicated at home, but in terms of watching the game, people have realized it is just better at home.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Right under 16,000 per game. Capacity a tad over 50%.
Well I was close but still embarrassing for a program that took out newspaper ads touting themselves as the best FB school in Illinois. The IHSA High School playoffs will probably draw better crowds.

maybe we need more than dates, then? maybe a fitz PSA for our fanbase to get going on the baby making? that seems like the easiest way to create some new wildcat fans!

Am i the only person that likes not being able to fill the stadium? I've never once had to worry about whether I can buy a ticket. Even if a friend wants to go last minute, I can get my hands on one easily. When I have go with a group and we didn't all package tickets together, we just move back enough and sit together. If my friends show up late or can't make it, I can text 1/2 a dozen people I know are at the game and just sit with them. If I want away tickets, I can get them... I've gotten a group of 13 tickets TOGETHER at Penn State. If I want extra single game tickets for friends, I've gotten 8 for Ohio State, 5 for Nebraska... no problems.

Season tickets aren't a financial burden either. I buy a single season ticket. I forgot what it was, but 200-300 range seems about right. Let's compare that to this other school that packs an 80,000 person stadium. For someone my age, you have to DONATE $500 to gain the right to buy tickets. For someone my parents age, you have to DONATE $2,500 (not sure if that's per ticket or you get a package with that). Then the tickets are I believe 85 bucks each. I would be talking $1100 for 1 ticket for 7 home games. Look, that's not going to make me go broke, but that's a lot a money. Put another way, the difference in the price of Notre Dame tickets + donation and Northwestern tickets handles the flight to the bowl game... with some left over for hotel, ticket, and fun. Even worse, let's say you're a family of 4 with the 2500 donation and can buy 4 tickets at 85 dollars. That's close to 5000 for season tickets for a family of 4.

I don't ever want NU to be like that.

Am i the only person that likes not being able to fill the stadium? I've never once had to worry about whether I can buy a ticket. Even if a friend wants to go last minute, I can get my hands on one easily. When I have go with a group and we didn't all package tickets together, we just move back enough and sit together. If my friends show up late or can't make it, I can text 1/2 a dozen people I know are at the game and just sit with them. If I want away tickets, I can get them... I've gotten a group of 13 tickets TOGETHER at Penn State. If I want extra single game tickets for friends, I've gotten 8 for Ohio State, 5 for Nebraska... no problems.

Season tickets aren't a financial burden either. I buy a single season ticket. I forgot what it was, but 200-300 range seems about right. Let's compare that to this other school that packs an 80,000 person stadium. For someone my age, you have to DONATE $500 to gain the right to buy tickets. For someone my parents age, you have to DONATE $2,500 (not sure if that's per ticket or you get a package with that). Then the tickets are I believe 85 bucks each. I would be talking $1100 for 1 ticket for 7 home games. Look, that's not going to make me go broke, but that's a lot a money. Put another way, the difference in the price of Notre Dame tickets + donation and Northwestern tickets handles the flight to the bowl game... with some left over for hotel, ticket, and fun. Even worse, let's say you're a family of 4 with the 2500 donation and can buy 4 tickets at 85 dollars. That's close to 5000 for season tickets for a family of 4.

I don't ever want NU to be like that.

Definitely an understandable point of view . . . but what if the doomsday scenario that you outline helps the Cats to win more? What if a packed house leads to more false start penalties on the other team, or helps with recruiting, or whatever other benefits it might bring? Does that affect your preference?

Definitely an understandable point of view . . . but what if the doomsday scenario that you outline helps the Cats to win more? What if a packed house leads to more false start penalties on the other team, or helps with recruiting, or whatever other benefits it might bring? Does that affect your preference?
I think there's a happy medium of passionate fans that can get loud and support the team without going to donations for the right to buy tickets.... So basically, I want 5000 visiting fans (by rule) 38,000 NU fans standing and being loud and 4,000 empty seats available for my use.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT