ADVERTISEMENT

Audige ranked 79th best prospect in the 2023 NBA Draft by Sam Vecenie and The Athletic

European deals can also include a nice apartment or casa, plus wheels. Think Chase moving on is the right choice for him, and CC reloaded pretty well.
Just the fact that you used the word "reloaded" when referring to Nortwestern basketball shows how things have changed.

Its great to see NU continuing to bring in talented players and showing real signs that we can be consistently competitive in the Big Ten.

The recruiting world has changed dramatically and most of our Big Ten brethren are (or will be) throwing money at their teams, so we will have to contend with that, but hopefully we can continue to capitalize on our undisputed position as the most prestigious school in the conference to attract the athletes that fit our profile.

Last edited:
European deals can also include a nice apartment or casa, plus wheels. Think Chase moving on is the right choice for him, and CC reloaded pretty well.
There is almost no way Chase leaving is the right choice FINANCIALLY, which doesn't mean it isn't the right choice OVERALL.

Reactions: ricko654321
There is almost no way Chase leaving is the right choice FINANCIALLY, which doesn't mean it isn't the right choice OVERALL.
If he were my kid, (despite my purple colored blood) ,I'd encourage him to leave. He's coming off a great season where he was a difference maker with a lot of eyes watching him. If he were to come back and the Cats don't make the NCAA's, he's in a less promising position and a year older. From a risk/reward perspective, he's making the right choice.

If Audige can figure out what happened when he caught fire offensively, then he's got a decent chance to succeed as a pro.. There is a big difference between potential and performance. We really only saw that great offensive player a few games a year, but that potential seems to be there.

Maybe he'll work with somebody who can help him flip the "on" switch and he'll take his game to another level. Its certainly not impossible.

I think of Jordan Goodwin, who started all 4 years at Saint Louis University, playing in the Atlantic 10. He's 6'3", 205 lbs. Averaged 14+ points per game and a stellar 10+ rebounds per game in his last 2 college seasons. Only shot about 30% from 3. 4 assists, 3 turnovers, 2 steals per game. Went undrafted in the 2021 draft, as projected.... "Good defender, good athlete, needs work on his offensive shot selection and consistency..." He played a year in the G-League, improved his offense and played 17+ minutes per game for the Wizards this past season.

If he were my kid, (despite my purple colored blood) ,I'd encourage him to leave. He's coming off a great season where he was a difference maker with a lot of eyes watching him. If he were to come back and the Cats don't make the NCAA's, he's in a less promising position and a year older. From a risk/reward perspective, he's making the right choice.
Making or not making the NCAAs wouldn’t have a material impact on his prospect status one way or another. The overwhelming variable for Chase’s capability to have a professional basketball career in America is his three point shooting. If he can improve it drastically, he has a pretty reasonable shot of being a 3 and D option. That assumes he has the ability to play good enough defense in the NBA, which we’re all taking for granted but isn’t a foregone conclusion. If he cannot… that’s it.

He can work on his shooting stroke in college while also banking several hundred thousand dollars rather than just starting his pro attempt a year earlier out the guaranteed money. But again, maybe he’s just ready to be done, ready to start climbing the ladder, etc.

An example, John Shurna makes $400K. An established, seasoned pro, in the 6th best team in the best league in the world outside the NBA.
I have to admit, I have never figured out how the euro leagues work so this is interesting news to me. I thought Shurna and his team just won a championship and moved up a tier or something.

And $400k sounds like a great income for an athlete in his 30s who isn't in the NBA.

Reactions: ricko654321
I have to admit, I have never figured out how the euro leagues work so this is interesting news to me. I thought Shurna and his team just won a championship and moved up a tier or something.

And $400k sounds like a great income for an athlete in his 30s who isn't in the NBA.

And some fans of the team -- OK, like 10 of them on Twitter -- refer to him as "Padre Shurna."

Each country has its own league. Shurna plays in the ACB/Spanish League, which, NBA excluded, is the best league in the world. His team, Gran Canaria, finished 6th and was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by Real Madrid. League just ended this afternoon, when Barcelona beat Real Madrid 3-0 in the finals.

On top of competing in the domestic league, the top teams of each country play in international leagues. There are tiers or, if you prefer to see it that way, divisions:

Tier 1 - EuroLeague - Real Madrid won it
Tier 2 - EuroCup - Gran Canaria won it
Tier 3 - Basketball Champions League
Others - Adriatic (balkans) league, there might be others I am not aware

The access to these leagues is something I don't know enough to explain. It depends on previous seasons, as well as how well you do in your domestic leagues. Shurna's team won the EuroCup and that, regardless of how they did domestically, gives them the right to play in the EuroLeague next year.

Last edited:
I am sometimes amazed at how much better guys get once they are in the league. They improve more and faster once they turn pro. Making basketball his full-time job could have this effect for Chase. I think Chase has the tools. He is incredibly athletic. He has the desire and work ethic. He just needs to clean up his offensive game. I think that can be coached and improved with hard work. He won't make the NBA this year, but it wouldn't surprise me if he works his way onto a roster in the next few years.
I certainly hope so. But the obvious gap for Chase to improve is become a much more consistent shooter, and just way more efficient on offense generally. That's not an easy thing to fix. The bright spot is he was an 83% FT shooter on high volume last year - NBA scouts often look to that as an indicator of shooting touch, and whether a player can develop into higher % from distance (potentially with less difficult / less contested looks than what Chase was getting in college). If he can shoot 40%+ from 3 then he's a great 3-and-D wing, a role that every NBA team wants to have at least 2 of. But he's a long way from that right now. I'm not a shooting coach, but I'd think some type of small adjustment in form with a little more height on the shot is his best chance to get there.

Good luck Chase - we are all cheering for you!

Reactions: eastbaycat99
Not surprisingly, Chase didn’t get drafted last night. Hope he gets an invite to play on some NBA team’s summer league team. If he shows well there it will give him a better shot at a G League and/or overseas contract.

Overseas usually pays better, depending upon the country and league. And often includes housing, car, and in some European countries the teams pay the player’s taxes.

G league average salary last year was $40.5K. However, if you‘re in the G league you have the chance to be called up to an NBA team during the season. With the NBA rookie minimum salary being approximately $13.6K per game in 23/24, even a 10 day contract will get you around $68K. More the longer you’re team.

I wish him nothing but success. It will be fun to follow his career.

Reactions: JournCat
Not surprisingly, Chase didn’t get drafted last night. Hope he gets an invite to play on some NBA team’s summer league team. If he shows well there it will give him a better shot at a G League and/or overseas contract.

Overseas usually pays better, depending upon the country and league. And often includes housing, car, and in some European countries the teams pay the player’s taxes.

G league average salary last year was $40.5K. However, if you‘re in the G league you have the chance to be called up to an NBA team during the season. With the NBA rookie minimum salary being approximately $13.6K per game in 23/24, even a 10 day contract will get you around $68K. More the longer you’re team.

I wish him nothing but success. It will be fun to follow his career.
I thought someone might pick him up for a two-way contract by this morning, but so far...crickets.

I don't think it was advice that led him to stay in the draft. This was his decision. He knew he wasn't going to get drafted. He also knew that, financially, coming back to Northwestern was the practical choice. IMO, Chase was just done with college after five years and wanted to move on with his life. I don't hold that against him. I wish things had worked out better for him, but he'll start his pro career somewhere next season. Best of luck to him.

I don't think it was advice that led him to stay in the draft. This was his decision. He knew he wasn't going to get drafted. He also knew that, financially, coming back to Northwestern was the practical choice. IMO, Chase was just done with college after five years and wanted to move on with his life. I don't hold that against him. I wish things had worked out better for him, but he'll start his pro career somewhere next season. Best of luck to him.
Spot on. Think he was ready to start his life in Europe or playing ball somewhere else. Dude is like 30 - okay to move on.

More surprised at how surprised the team/people around the program was with him turning pro.

Reactions: NUCat320
For those who weren't watching....

2023 NBA Draft full results​

First Round
11. Orlando Magic — G Jett Howard, Michigan
15. Atlanta HawksG Kobe Bufkin, Michigan
17. Los Angeles Lakers — G Jalen Hood-Schifino, Indiana
18. Miami Heat — F Jaime Jaquez Jr., UCLA
23. Portland Trail Blazers — F Kris Murray, Iowa
28. Utah Jazz — F Brice Sensabaugh, Ohio State

Second Round
32. Denver Nuggets (via IND) — G Jalen Pickett, Penn State
41. Charlotte Hornets — G Amari Bailey, UCLA
46. Atlanta Hawks — G Seth Lundy, Penn State
53. Minnesota Timberwolves — G Jaylen Clark, UCLA
57. Golden State Warriors (via WAS) — F Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana​

I was pleased that Jalen Pickett was selected sooner than expected. From Siena to Penn State to the NBA champs. They must have wanted a guy who has proven his value on the court.

Along those lines, Trayce Jackson-Davis almost didn't hear his name called...

Another illustration of how bad Michigan coaching was. Their center transferred to Kansas and they had 2 players drafted in the first 15, and they didn't even make the tournament. 😂
But somehow they did manage to beat NU twice...... ;)

But somehow they did manage to beat NU twice...... ;)
Yep, just goes to show you that in the Big Ten you cannot take a night off even against inferior opponents. Hopefully Howard remains at Michigan. He's a second rate coach.

Spot on. Think he was ready to start his life in Europe or playing ball somewhere else. Dude is like 30 - okay to move on.

More surprised at how surprised the team/people around the program was with him turning pro.
24, actually. Another reason he didn’t get drafted.

Reactions: DaCat
For those who weren't watching....

2023 NBA Draft full results​

First Round​

11. Orlando Magic — G Jett Howard, Michigan

15. Atlanta HawksG Kobe Bufkin, Michigan

17. Los Angeles Lakers — G Jalen Hood-Schifino, Indiana

18. Miami Heat — F Jaime Jaquez Jr., UCLA

23. Portland Trail Blazers — F Kris Murray, Iowa

28. Utah Jazz — F Brice Sensabaugh, Ohio State

Second Round​

32. Denver Nuggets (via IND) — G Jalen Pickett, Penn State​

41. Charlotte Hornets — G Amari Bailey, UCLA​

46. Atlanta Hawks — G Seth Lundy, Penn State​

53. Minnesota Timberwolves — G Jaylen Clark, UCLA​

57. Golden State Warriors (via WAS) — F Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana​

I was pleased that Jalen Pickett was selected sooner than expected. From Siena to Penn State to the NBA champs. They must have wanted a guy who has proven his value on the court.

Along those lines, Trayce Jackson-Davis almost didn't hear his name called...
Our (Denver’s) GM is also from PSU. Has had his eye on Jalen all year.
The NBA champion Nuggets have 7 of their top 8 players under contract for next season, including all 5 starters. They’re shooting for multiple championships while the greatest player on the planet (Nikola Jokic) is in his prime.

They were looking for players in the draft who could contribute NOW. Not development projects.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT