ADVERTISEMENT

B1G West

FanatiCat

May 29, 2001
So Iowa is going to win it most likely. However what if they lost to both Illinois (definitely possible) and Nebraska (not likely). They would end at 5-4 and we have 5 other West teams at 3-4.

Assuming if Iowa lost out -

We win out, Iowa would have tiebreaker.
Illinois wins out (includes beating Iowa next week and us following week), I think they’d be in?
Minnesota wins out they’d be in but they’re not beating OSU next week.
Nebraska wins out (includes beating Iowa final game), they’d be in?
Wisconsin wins out, Iowa has tiebreaker.

West title is really not meaningful anyway as it will just add another L to whoever plays OSU/Mich in Indy.

So Iowa is going to win it most likely. However what if they lost to both Illinois (definitely possible) and Nebraska (not likely). They would end at 5-4 and we have 5 other West teams at 3-4.

Illinois wins out (includes beating Iowa next week and us following week), I think they’d be in?

West title is really not meaningful anyway as it will just add another L to whoever plays OSU/Mich in Indy.
Huh

If there is a 3-way tie than Western Division record is the tie breaker. Maybe we could win?

More realistically, I think we win out to finish 7-5 and in second place, with Iowa winning at least one more game. Here is the current B1G West standings:

CONFOVERALL
W-LW-L
Iowa5-28-2
Northwestern3-45-5
Nebraska3-45-5
Wisconsin3-45-5
Illinois3-45-5
Minnesota3-45-5
Purdue2-53-7

^
What he said.

I know that ifs and buts and salted nuts make for dry conversation, but if Bryant stays healthy, we beat Nebby and Iowa and are looking at the B1G Title game against the Michiganz (which would not be very fun, I think).

But I will be thrilled with 7-5, Braun getting the gig, and a decent bowl after the crapshow Schill and Ggarg engineered this summer.

^
What he said.

I know that ifs and buts and salted nuts make for dry conversation, but if Bryant stays healthy, we beat Nebby and Iowa and are looking at the B1G Title game against the Michiganz (which would not be very fun, I think).

But I will be thrilled with 7-5, Braun getting the gig, and a decent bowl after the crapshow Schill and Ggarg engineered this summer.
In fairness though, Iowa lost their starting QB as did Wisconsin. Injuries are part of the game.

Reactions: ricko654321
Man, am I going to miss this division.
I don't think the abolition of divisions will last long. I most certainly could be wrong...the new "Division Champions" brag might be easily replaced with "Playoff Berth" banners...but the whole point of divisions in my opinion is to give out more trophies and appease fan bases.

Texas A&M is already willing to go $100M in debt over stuff like this.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
If there is a 3-way tie than Western Division record is the tie breaker. Maybe we could win?
NU would win a 3-team tiebreaker with Iowa and Minnesota only. (Note this situation requires Minnesota to win in Columbus this Saturday).

Iowa wins a 3-team tiebreak with NU and Wisconsin, or NU and Nebraska.

I believe Minnesota wins the potential 4-team tiebreak with NU, Iowa, and Nebraska.

Reactions: Darren72
Wait, I'm confused.

If it's a tie amongst several teams is the tie breaker

Head To Head?
Big Ten West Record?
Overall Big Ten Record?
Overall Record (including non-conference games)?

I can't find an answer online.

I don't think the abolition of divisions will last long. I most certainly could be wrong...the new "Division Champions" brag might be easily replaced with "Playoff Berth" banners...but the whole point of divisions in my opinion is to give out more trophies and appease fan bases.

I agree, but I am sure it will be "pods" or something. The addition of Oregon and Washington messes up the numbers, but adding USC and UCLA to the West while pushing Purdue over to the East actually would have made the divisions at least SOMEWHAT balanced:

East
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan State
Purdue
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana

West
USC
UCLA
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota

You could maybe still try to do this with Washington and Oregon in a(n even more balanced) West division, but unfortunately I think it means either you guys or my Illini get shipped off to the East ... no thanks!

Reactions: Eurocat
Wait, I'm confused.

If it's a tie amongst several teams is the tie breaker

Head To Head?
Big Ten West Record?
Overall Big Ten Record?
Overall Record (including non-conference games)?

I can't find an answer online.
I forget the official answer, honestly. However, head to head is definitely the first tie breaker. If there are more than two teams tied, it goes to each teams record vs. the other tied teams. I believe the next one is record against Big Ten West opponents.

More realistically, I think we win out to finish 7-5 and in second place, with Iowa winning at least one more game. Here is the current B1G West standings:

CONFOVERALL
W-LW-L
Iowa5-28-2
Northwestern3-45-5
Nebraska3-45-5
Wisconsin3-45-5
Illinois3-45-5
Minnesota3-45-5
Purdue2-53-7
What looms large is Purdue. A loss to them and we sink to the bottom. Let’s take care of business this week.

Agreed. Sitting buried at No. 12 or whatever is meaningless. Even as ordinary - I won't say bad - as play is in the West Division, there still is a fair amount of interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheffielder

I imagine the B1G has been rightfully embarrassed by the last several years (all of them? Who knows - never watched them) of East blowouts. It reflects poorly on the conference to have boring, not-so-interesting teams playing in that primetime slot.

Perhaps the divisions get named for all-time great coaches, like the award trophies (which will get renamed next year, I guess). Legends and Leaders, but better:
Tressel
Paterno
Fitzgerald
Sarkisian

I forget the official answer, honestly. However, head to head is definitely the first tie breaker. If there are more than two teams tied, it goes to each teams record vs. the other tied teams. I believe the next one is record against Big Ten West opponents.
That is my understanding as well. NU cannot win a head-to-head tiebreaker against Iowa, of course. But if NU, Iowa, and Minnesota all tie at 5-4, the head-to-head is even (each team having won once and lost once). Then it’s division record.

By contrast, if NU, Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska all finish 5-4, a comparison of records would eliminate Iowa and NU (who would be 1-2 in games among the tied teams) versus Minnesota and Nebraska (who would be 2-1 in games among the tied teams). (And then Minnesota would win that tiebreak).

Reactions: ricko654321
I imagine the B1G has been rightfully embarrassed by the last several years (all of them? Who knows - never watched them) of East blowouts. It reflects poorly on the conference to have boring, not-so-interesting teams playing in that primetime slot.

Perhaps the divisions get named for all-time great coaches, like the award trophies (which will get renamed next year, I guess). Legends and Leaders, but better:
Tressel
Paterno
Fitzgerald
Sarkisian
Hear me out, but if we do Legends and Leaders…?

• Haha
Reactions: rmndcat
For English teachers, it would be... You're fired. But they are probably the only ones.

Duh! Although I could claim the misuse was intentional in light of the question - and that the reply was evidently from an engineer.

What's the difference between a female track team and a band of intelligent pygmies?

I am really hating asking what the answer is because it will either be self-evident or inappropriate. I will bite since I am on a role with stupid replies. What's the answer?

BIG championship game could be ugly. I'm not rooting for that, although with Minnesota playing at Columbus Saturday, it appears to be no chance of that.

Duh! Although I could claim the misuse was intentional in light of the question - and that the reply was evidently from an engineer.
I actually considered that you might have done it on purpose. I'm ok continuing to believe that!

I also was trying to make the joke that we all make that mistake constantly.

That is my understanding as well. NU cannot win a head-to-head tiebreaker against Iowa, of course. But if NU, Iowa, and Minnesota all tie at 5-4, the head-to-head is even (each team having won once and lost once). Then it’s division record.

By contrast, if NU, Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska all finish 5-4, a comparison of records would eliminate Iowa and NU (who would be 1-2 in games among the tied teams) versus Minnesota and Nebraska (who would be 2-1 in games among the tied teams). (And then Minnesota would win that tiebreak).
Yes, exactly - there is a theoretical (emphasis on theoretical) path for us to get to Indy - it involves us and Minny winning out, while Iowa loses out (and Wisconsin would have to beat Neb next week before losing to Minn to close the season). Then we would get in over Iowa and Minnesota on a secondary tiebreak after the initial tiebreak is H2H 1-1, then division record narrows it down to us vs. Minnesota, then we beat Minnesota H2H.

The main problem with this scenario though isn't even us winning 2 games to close the season, or Illinois + Nebraska beating Iowa... it's that it would require Minnesota to win @OSU this upcoming Saturday. Let's face it, we aren't going to Indy.

Getting to 7-5 would likely get us to a much better slate of potential bowls though, given the likely logjam of teams at both 7-5 and 6-6 in our conference at season's end. So there's still plenty to play for both this Saturday the final game at Ryan Field, and next Saturday against our in-state rival down in Champaign. Winning B1G games is hard. Let's do it twice more (or failing that, at least once more!).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT