ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball program in chaos

Uh, one, Iowa. And the fact that such a paltry stat is quite notable and unique says it all. It's silly to pretend that the Big Ten isn't a second rate baseball conference at best. As others said, it simply isn't as big a sport in the region, like hockey isn't in the south.

It will be interesting to see what happens with USC, UCLA, and maybe more west coast teams joining in plus the addition of NIL potentially making the conference powers more interested in poneying up to compete with So Cal.
Maryland was ranked last week and just dropped out. When you consider how diverse the baseball powers are across the country having two teams ranked early on is not shabby considering we are a pedestrian but still tough conference.

I am trying to stay in my lane here, but look at the recruit rankings for this years baseball classes. Which is the highest ranked B1G or Midwest team? Michigan at 41. Not saying there isn’t talented players in the Big, but proportionately there just isn’t enough to be much of a consistent factor In competing for a Natty.

Time to join Wisconsin and put baseball out of its misery.
Wisconsin had to do that to get rid of their athletic department debt in the 90s (along with chopping 4 other varsity teams).

With the new TV deal starting in July (and spending $800 million on a football stadium along with the previous $400-500 million on facilities in the past decade), it'd look bizarre to say the least to even consider cutting baseball given it's a tiny part of the AD budget. Not gonna happen.

But yes, the program appears to be a mess and that needs to change. It's fine if we can't compete on the national stage given that baseball is a southern/western sport these days, but it shouldn't be producing this kind of embarrassing results.

Last edited:
11.7 at a private school on top of it -- bigger disadvantage.
Which is why I speculated that I'll bet NIL bucks would go further in baseball than any other sport.

"Play at Northwestern where your NIL supplement will make up the difference of your partial scholarship and ACTUALLY give you a free ride!"

@lunker35 Do you think a little NIL money would help out a baseball player on a partial scholarship?

Last edited:
Reactions: ejcarlson70
Which is why I speculated that I'll bet NIL bucks would go further in baseball than any other sport.

"Play at Northwestern where your NIL supplement will make up the difference of your partial scholarship and ACTUALLY give you a free ride!"

@lunker35 Do you think a little NIL money would help out a baseball player on a partial scholarship?
Yes. My guess if it would. I always laugh when a parent says so and so is on a full ride to play baseball at Auburn (or wherever). That 11.7 is cut up like a pie amongst 30ish guys.

Time to start a campaign to get joe and Kim to move back from the east coast and have joe give back to his alma Mater as head of wildcat baseball. He doesn’t need the money.

I have serious concerns that we won’t win a game this year. Almost a forgone conclusion that we will lose all our B1G matchups. I really feel for the kids that stuck around after Reynolds’ departure.
It's not THAT hard to luck into a FEW wins in baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT