ADVERTISEMENT

+/- for the Negation in Nebraska

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
The Wildcats rallied from a double digit deficit but failed to capitalize on several chances to take the lead, then stumbled down the stretch in Lincoln, falling to the Cornhuskers 75-69.

PlayerMinutesNU PtsNEB PtsRaw +/-Player AdjustGame +/-
Barnhizer376671-5+12.65+11.65
Nicholson275047+3+5.0+5.6
Langborg386671-5+3.1+2.1
Martinelli173132-1+1.65+1.45
Clayton202-2-0.05-0.45
Hunger131928-9-1.6-3.4
Buie376967+2-11.7-11.3
Berry284457-13-9.0-11.6

Ty Berry and Boo Buie both had bad games. NU was still +2 when Buie was on the court, but -13 when Ty Berry was on the court.
When Ryan Langborg and Ty Berry were out there together, NU got beat 53-41 in about 23 minutes.
When Buie was on the bench we got beat 8-0.
The starting lineup (Hunger/Barnhizer/Berry/Langborg/Buie) got outscored 13-9 in about 6.5 minutes.
The old starters (Nicholson) played to a 28-28 draw over 17 minutes.
The top lineup for NU was Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Buie/Langborg who won 19-11 in about 7.5 minutes.
Collins played Nicholson/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie/Langborg for the last 9 minutes of the game.
Barnhizer was phenomenal and Nicholson was good, but Berry had a turnover and 4 missed 3-pointers, without scoring.
Immediately prior to that, with Berry sitting and Martinelli playing, NU had outscored Nebraska 14-9 to get back in the game.

My early contention was play MN, Mart, BB, Boo and the hotter of Berry/Lang. I wonder how that would look.

Reactions: GatoLouco
My early contention was play MN, Mart, BB, Boo and the hotter of Berry/Lang. I wonder how that would look.
I think thats a good 3rd option.
We need to play bigger in many Big Ten games.

Nicholson/Barnhizer/Berry/Langborg/Buie
Hunger/Barnhizer/Berry/Langborg/Buie
Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie (can also use this to rest Buie or Berry)

Hunger needs to step up. Only 8 points he last 4 games, totaling 40 minutes If he is getting minute to add points, he needs to start making plays.

Only 3 defensive rebounds last 4 games, 7 in total.

8 fouls.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I think thats a good 3rd option.
We need to play bigger in many Big Ten games.

Nicholson/Barnhizer/Berry/Langborg/Buie
Hunger/Barnhizer/Berry/Langborg/Buie
Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie (can also use this to rest Buie or Berry)
Game against Nebraska was also an example of how it could have yielded good results to have used Hunger at the 4 in the pre-season. Nebraska, driven by injury, went big. Hunger is slow, but I am fairly confident he was fast enough to keep up with fabulous hair Josiah.

Game against Nebraska was also an example of how it could have yielded good results to have used Hunger at the 4 in the pre-season. Nebraska, driven by injury, went big. Hunger is slow, but I am fairly confident he was fast enough to keep up with fabulous hair Josiah.
That's thinking outside the box, NU should not be afraid to try it

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Hunger was getting toasted on the pick and roll and seemed to be wandering around a bit. I don't think Preston would have had that problem. Would have loved to see Hunger at the 4 with Preston at the 5. Hunger has that skill set and Preston is far more likely to be in the right place anchoring the defense. But I'm sort of giving up on seeing that frontcourt... (there's a history of Nance with Beran that has crushed me - we just cannot make ourselves go with a big lineup)

But Nicholson played 27 minutes... He needs to be out there with Martinelli and Barnhizer against Nebraska. The Huskers lost to Rutgers because they are not a good rebounding team. Thats their biggest weakness. Exploit it!

Reactions: IGNORE2
Hunger was getting toasted on the pick and roll and seemed to be wandering around a bit. I don't think Preston would have had that problem. Would have loved to see Hunger at the 4 with Preston at the 5. Hunger has that skill set and Preston is far more likely to be in the right place anchoring the defense. But I'm sort of giving up on seeing that frontcourt... (there's a history of Nance with Beran that has crushed me - we just cannot make ourselves go with a big lineup)

But Nicholson played 27 minutes... He needs to be out there with Martinelli and Barnhizer against Nebraska. The Huskers lost to Rutgers because they are not a good rebounding team. Thats their biggest weakness. Exploit it!
I agree with your assessments here. But the thing about Hunger at the 4 or something wild like that is not to make it a part of our regular way of playing. It is to solve an immediate issue. It could have stopped the Nebraska exploit of the switches that cost us so many points.

Since we never tried it, I would not have tried it last weekend anyway.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT