ADVERTISEMENT

The rotation without Ty Berry

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
Here's a look at what NU lineups have been able to accomplish this season when Ty Berry was not on the court...
I am using 17 games... all the Big Ten games plus Dayton, Mississippi State, DePaul and Arizona State.
This includes the entire book on how Clayton has been used...

CenterPFSFSGPGMinutesNU PtsOpp PtsNU PaceOpp Pace
NicholsonMartinelliBarnhizerLangborgBuie9114115262.166.9
HungerMartinelliBarnhizerLangborgBuie35695379.461.1
PrestonMartinelliBarnhizerLangborgBuie23454277.071.9
NicholsonMartinelliBarnhizerClaytonBuie10222484.992.6
HungerMartinelliBarnhizerClaytonBuie424------
PrestonMartinelliBarnhizerClaytonBuie123------
NicholsonBarnhizerLangborgClaytonBuie477------
HungerBarnhizerLangborgClaytonBuie8141468.368.3
PrestonBarnhizerLangborgClaytonBuie353------
NicholsonMartinelliLangborgClaytonBuie100------
HungerMartinelliLangborgClaytonBuie494------
PrestonMartinelliLangborgClaytonBuie9141165.451.4
any of the 3MartinelliBarnhizerLangborgClayton1061625.367.5

Most importantly, the starting lineup is -11 for the season. Thats a reminder of the old, painful Nance/Beran days. Okay probably not that grim, but not good.
We have been better with Hunger at the 5 with the current (non-Berry) starters.

The sample sizes for Clayton are almost all very small. Not a lot of game time was given to developing Plan B (what if one of my 5 non-centers gets hurt?).

What we see is that Clayton has been able to sub in for Martinelli and Langborg without giving up too much ground.
The minutes he has played for Barnhizer have been productive.
The minutes Clayton has played for Buie, we have not been able to score.

With so little data on Clayton, its a bit of a crapshoot.

Meanwhile, Luke Hunger stands ready, willing and able to sub in for anybody who weighs 20 lbs less than he does.

The real interpretation is that when Berry AND Buie aren't playing, NU's offense goes in the tank. That...makes sense. Granted, it's only 10 minutes all season, but that number will of course be going up soon.

The time that Boo gets a rest will have to be even more strategic than it currently is. Barnhizer has already said (maybe jokingly) that he wants to play all 40. Waiting for Boo to say the same. These guys just have to make it six more weeks. Easy for me to say from my comfy schmumfy coach.

Thanks for putting this together PWB.

The real interpretation is that when Berry AND Buie aren't playing, NU's offense goes in the tank. That...makes sense. Granted, it's only 10 minutes all season, but that number will of course be going up soon.

The time that Boo gets a rest will have to be even more strategic than it currently is. Barnhizer has already said (maybe jokingly) that he wants to play all 40. Waiting for Boo to say the same. These guys just have to make it six more weeks. Easy for me to say from my comfy schmumfy coach.

Thanks for putting this together PWB.
The good(?) news is that Buie plays about 36 minutes per game, so there isn't much time when he isn't on the floor for us to have to look for scoring from other places. And even without Berry, I feel that Langborg and Barnhizer are guys that can create a little bit on their own - not nearly as good as Boo, but they both have some ability to create.

I don't have a good feeling about this one tonight, but I feel we will still win several games this year. Berry is a huge loss, but we have enough other good players that it's not "kiss the season goodbye" time. It just makes the road tougher.

I think this may now shift to, if Mart or Lang are on, we are in good shape. If not….

We have two road games this week. If we can take one, we are in great shape. If not, then still a tough road to plow. (Snowboard trip so snow cliches)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT