ADVERTISEMENT

+/- for the FUN against FAU

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
I cut the last 39 seconds, when we subbed a lot and shot a few free throws, leading 74-61. Barnhizer played the whole game.

PlayerMinutesNU PtsFAU PtsRaw +/-Player +/-Game +/-
Langborg416858+10+6.54+8.54
Barnhizer447461+13+1.68+4.28
Smith, Blake121813+5+3.00+4.00
Buie437457+17-0.14+3.26
Hunger295236+16-2.86+0.34
Preston152025-5-0.9-1.90
Martinelli396455+9-7.31-5.51

Ryan Langborg earns the game ball, with major contributions from Boo Buie and Brooks Barnhizer.
Blake Smith only played 12 minutes, but we were +5 and he grabbed 6 rebounds, including 3 on the offensive end.
Not a great game for Nick Martinelli, who struggled to find his inside scoring against the big Russian (Goldin).
Goldin never left the paint because Hunger didn't hit anything from outside.
But the whole team played hard and Martinelli battled defensively.
NU was much better with Hunger at the 5 than with Preston.

Couple little things... Barnhizer clearly wanted to take the shot at the end of regulation. He's a winner.
I still can't believe Langborg went up to challenge (and block) a 30 foot attempt at the end of regulation in a tie game.
Refs call that a foul almost no matter what happens. Gutsy, maybe even crazy, but it worked!
Then he scored 12 points on 4 shots and 2 free throws in OT.
His perfectly arranged hair was on fire and he was grinning from ear to ear. Pretty awesome to see.

I am glad Langborg contested the 3. Stood out to me in the moment. They were not calling a whole lot and far too many times at the end of games shooters bet on (correctly) an unobstructed look.

Reactions: drewjin
The Langborg contest made sense because of the angle he got. He was able to cleanly come across the play with no risk to swiping into Davis.

Reactions: drewjin
Not much talk about Blake Smith today but he was really good. Glad that’s reflected above.
We were counting his rebounds. ZHe was ready to play. Still not ready to shoot but the D is there

We were counting his rebounds. ZHe was ready to play. Still not ready to shoot but the D is there
There were a few times where Boo appeared to look Blake’s way, then realize it was Blake who was open on the wing, and either keep the dribble or look elsewhere. I think he can touch the ball more on ‘O’, though he was also charged with two turnovers today.

Regardless of his offensive presence, he was aggressive and visible and awesome on defense. Considering most of his run came in the 19-20 first half, that +5 is just huge.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Not much talk about Blake Smith today but he was really good. Glad that’s reflected above.
I saw the Smith family in the concourse after the game -- at least I assumed that's who they were, since they were all in #43 jerseys -- and congratulated them on Blake's great game. They were appreciative and really pumped up.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
I saw the Smith family in the concourse after the game -- at least I assumed that's who they were, since they were all in #43 jerseys -- and congratulated them on Blake's great game. They were appreciative and really pumped up.

The fact that the kid got into Northwestern on his own merit says they have a lot to be proud of.
I wonder what percentage of players can say that.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
They showed his family a lot on TV in one of the previous games, seemed like really nice parents and a cool younger brother.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT