ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Revival in 2024?

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
New coach Ben Greenspan seems like a winner, can he pull a Braun after Gagg criminally let the program self-destruct under Foster?

If the baseball team is remotely competitive, that will be an outstanding achievement. They lost the best players from a team that went 10-40 in 2023. When Gragg decided to hire Foster in place of keeping Reynolds, that completely decimated the program as I think five guys left to start in the ACC or SEC. Maybe Greenspan can be the Braun of the baseball program and pull off a miracle.

If the baseball team is remotely competitive, that will be an outstanding achievement. They lost the best players from a team that went 10-40 in 2023. When Gragg decided to hire Foster in place of keeping Reynolds, that completely decimated the program as I think five guys left to start in the ACC or SEC. Maybe Greenspan can be the Braun of the baseball program and pull off a miracle.

I don't think that was why they left. Or at least the only factor. They left because they could.
You get a chance to start at those places, you go.

The REST of the guys who left ...... yeah, that was probably the factor.

I couldn't watch all of game 3 in the Tulane series, but it looked like a bullpen implosion led to another loss. Cliche to say, but the game was closer than the final score would suggest.

I think this team will be competitive -- not good maybe -- but not an embarrassment. Given what the new coaching staff inherited, that's a leap forward.

I'm eager to see them respond in future weeks.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I couldn't watch all of game 3 in the Tulane series, but it looked like a bullpen implosion led to another loss. Cliche to say, but the game was closer than the final score would suggest.

I think this team will be competitive -- not good maybe -- but not an embarrassment. Given what the new coaching staff inherited, that's a leap forward.

I'm eager to see them respond in future weeks.

I’ve always felt the potential was there for NU to field a competitive B1G Ten squad. Allen’s departure really stung as they was a definite uptick in recruiting as evidenced by so many of our former Cats playing significant roles for their new programs. Hoping the retained search firm has finally found the right guy.

NU dropped the two other games against Tulane by scores of 6-2 and 12-9. Could be a long season.

Hard to believe that actually happened. Even harder to believe Gragg is still employed after that complete shitshow.
You mean so that we would not have had to watch the endless stream of shitshows that have followed?

‘Cats win 5-1! Really enjoyed seeing the kids win. They travel to Daytona Beach this weekend for a three game series with Bethune-Cookman.

Major improvement from last year simply because all of the assistant coaches didn’t quit after the first weekend.
They quit before the first weekend last year and they didn't quit they feared for their safety. Full grown men (some with 4 decade committments to the program) with families don't just walk away unless there is something very wrong.

They quit before the first weekend last year and they didn't quit they feared for their safety. Full grown men (some with 4 decade committments to the program) with families don't just walk away unless there is something very wrong.
That is highly unacceptable. How Gagg still has his job is beyond me.

Soooo…the same “criminal” who hired Foster is responsible for hiring the savior baseball coach? Really? If you can’t give the man a sliver of credit out loud you can at least cut back on the incessant claims of incompetence.

Soooo…the same “criminal” who hired Foster is responsible for hiring the savior baseball coach? Really? If you can’t give the man a sliver of credit out loud you can at least cut back on the incessant claims of incompetence.

My understanding is that after his colossal f*ck up in hiring Foster…NU wouldn’t let him come anywhere close to the replacement hire. The search was conducted by an outside form and was signed off by a small search committee consisting of a few BOT members.

My understanding is that after his colossal f*ck up in hiring Foster…NU wouldn’t let him come anywhere close to the replacement hire. The search was conducted by an outside form and was signed off by a small search committee consisting of a few BOT members.
Smart move by NU.

Reactions: No Chores
Do you think he’s competent?

After his criminal negligence in handling the Foster situation, he should’ve been gone and we should not even be having this conversation.

On the whole, Cats baseball has done well on its swing through Texas and Louisiana. Because we have family in Lake Charles LA, wife and I caught the game tonight vs McNeese State. Cats won 12-4 but more than that -- it's truly a different team morale and level of preparation compared to the train wreck I saw last year when they played in Houston. I know: small sampling but the differences are clear. It's especially gratifying to see fellows who stuck around from 2023 and are now able to play at a higher level. Much to be proud of.

I don't know how successful NU will be in Big 10 play, but they should be safely out of the cellar.

(Just realized: this was my 1000th post on these boards. Didn't think I'd live that long. At 83 yrs, 8 months old, I'm still tickin' and it's a good feeling. Tomorrow will be a morning spent with the great-grandson who is great indeed to be with. Go Cats.

Last edited:
On the whole, Cats baseball has done well on its swing through Texas and Louisiana. Because we have family in Lake Charles LA, wife and I caught the game tonight vs McNeese State. Cats won 12-4 but more than that -- it's truly a different team morale and level of preparation compared to the train wreck I saw last year when they played in Houston. I know: small sampling but the differences are clear. It's especially gratifying to see fellows who stuck around from 2023 and are now able to play at a higher level. Much to be proud of.

I don't know how successful NU will be in Big 10 play, but they should be safely out of the cellar.

(Just realized: this was my 1000th post on these boards. Didn't think I'd live that long. At 83 yrs, 8 months old, I'm still tickin' and it's a good feeling. Tomorrow will be a morning spent with the great-grandson who is great indeed to be with. Go Cats.
Keep going strong WildcatWillie!

Jeez Willie, that's really only 12 posts a year, so let's pick it up a bit, please! I enjoy your posts from the 1940s and 1950s myself, particularly the original Rose Bowl team.

Can't wait to read the next 1000 ... and let's hope we keep Coach Greenspan around awhile.

Seems like Greenspan is a great hire by the BoT and the search firm. Wish Gagg had the balls to fire Foster earlier.

Pretty impressive season so far given that we've played Tulane, Duke, Louisville, and UTSA. We took one each from Tulane, Louisville, and UTSA. More importantly, we are beating the teams we should beat... A&M-CC, Beth-Cook, Illinois St. We should beat NIU in midweek game.

This weekend will be a good test. Nebraska has 17-5 record, but with a much easier schedule than we've played.

I like that we scheduled some traditionally good programs in the early season this year.

Agree. Curious as to @lunker35 ‘s take on the current state of the program.
I love where they’re heading and I really think we can easily compete in the B1G. We always had talent when I was there but it just never clicked and a lot of that was coaching and chemistry. Seems like Greenspan has really connected this team which is impressive considering it was thrown together. I’ve not met him and since most of the people I knew well are out I’m far less connected but I’m sure in the offseason we’ll get to know him better since he didn’t have a chance to meet any of us as he was hired so late.

I love where they’re heading and I really think we can easily compete in the B1G. We always had talent when I was there but it just never clicked and a lot of that was coaching and chemistry. Seems like Greenspan has really connected this team which is impressive considering it was thrown together. I’ve not met him and since most of the people I knew well are out I’m far less connected but I’m sure in the offseason we’ll get to know him better since he didn’t have a chance to meet any of us as he was hired so late.

He’s been impressive thus far; no doubt. Looking forward to watching his recruiting efforts after he has a season or two under his belt. Retaining talent will be just as important as bringing it in.

• Love
Reactions: lunker35
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT