ADVERTISEMENT

BC and UT fans speak out on Coach Jake on Reddit

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
A smattering of Reddit posts on Coach Jake, FWIW. The first two are from the thread announcing his recent hire:

GoBostonCollege
I would not be too thrilled if I were a Northwestern fan. This guy was propped up by talent and the offensive rankings are deceptive. His offense was predictable, bland and atrocious against the two talented teams we played. I am glad both he and Addazio are gone.

Some more context:

BC had a top 15 offensive line (4 lineman made an all ACC team and one was honorable mention), arguably a top 3 RB in all of NCAA football (AJ Dillon), deceptively good WRs and TEs, and this offense was still maddening to watch. Yes, the defense on this team was absolute garbage, but there were at least 2 games that a good offensive coordinator would have been able to win simply because of the talent on this offensive unit. Some of the offensive game plans that were thrown out were simply inexcusable.

Furthermore, second half adjustments were never really made and if the original game-plan fell flat, BC was 100% going to lose the game. And this is to say nothing of any clutch offensive drives late in the game, which were non-existent.

So in sum, unless you are going to put together a line that has 5 players that will be playing in the NFL and a top running back talent in the nation, I would expect a middling, bland offense out of coach Jake at Northwestern. Enjoy!

baugamania
We had him at Tennessee for Butch's first two years.

He inherited a stacked OL but few skill position players in 2013. We went 5-7, and the offense was poor. Freshman Josh Dobbs took over late due to injuries to Justin Worley, Nathan Peterman, and Riley Ferguson. What irked me about him was how often he called jet sweeps and WR screens. That felt like 70% of the offense.

In 2014, pretty much the entire OL graduated or declared for the draft, so we returned around 8 starts (a player who played some in 2012 had been injured in 2013 IIRC). They struggled early until once again injuries forced Dobbs into action. He was a totally different player, leading us to a big finish (7-6 after bowl).

He left after that for the Bucs. Mike DeBord drastically improved the scoring the next year.

Take all that for what it's worth. He's "just ok".

These are reactions from UT fans when he left UT 4 years ago:

Mythic514
His play calling, in my opinion (and I see the same criticism from a lot of other fans), was pretty lackluster, especially toward the end of games. Florida and Georgia games immediately come to mind. I was also a bit worried that he was unable to get any improvement from the O-Line (although I don't really blame him for that...it was a REALLY young line). But considering the weapons he had on offense, especially in the receivers, I thought he didn't really utilize them to their best potential enough. We had a good end of season on offense, but I think most of that is attributable to Dobbs, and less so to Bajakian, considering our spark came when he began to start.

I am interested to see who we get as a replacement. My main concern is how this will affect our recruiting so close to NSD. I am not too worried, but it's hard to imagine this isn't a major point of concern with some of our offensive recruits.

danimal_deg
I think he made the absolute best out of a bad situation. Losses on an already poor offensive line, a quarterback switch, multiple wide receiver injuries, and a collectively inexperienced team kept the offense from clicking until the end of the year. The loss of Bajakian will be understated by everyone, but it should not be taken lightly.

nickknx865
I don't like the idea of him leaving, but I don't think it'd be a huge loss in terms of offensive playcalling if he did leave.

Brometheus-Pound
Shit. I can't say I'm really upset given that Jake's offense was dumbfounding at times, but did this have to happen within a month of NSD? Even if he wasn't a top recruiter, instability still hurts.

LakerBaker
Don't be a prideful douche, the play calling was bad. No offense for most of the season. Did better with Dobbs, but not a great coach. The replacement will be much better.

NOTPattyBarr

Bajakian was really up and down play calling wise. He had some games he had that were almost unbearably bad even for UT fanatics. But he had a couple moments (like the 2nd half of the 2013 Georgia game) where he seemed to always have the perfect play called for the perfect situation.

Honestly, I was still on the fence about him. His play calling seemed bad at times, but also he never really had a team that was built to be super successful on offense though. In 2013 we were basically unexperienced at WR, TE, and QB. In 2014 we had to replace all of our OL. Only one of the guys had ever started before.

I was waiting until 2015 until I made my mind up about him as a coordinator. Oh well.

boxjellyfishing
Bajakian's playcalling was hot garbage at times. His ability to make adjustments was extremely poor. I never felt like he was calling plays for the quality of players he had on the field, it always felt like he was calling plays for the players he wanted.

Take it for FWIW, but I guess this confirms why I don't see this as a homerun hire.

I'll end on a more positive note:

2019 SP+ Offense Rank Defense Rank
Boston College 37 112
Northwestern 122 27

This I guess is what gives me some hope. It couldn't be worse than with McCall. And maybe we'll even be much better (at least if we get 5 NFL Caliber OL and a top 3 Back). How good would we be with the #37 offense and the #27 defense?

Reactions: drewjin
Thanks for the research on fans' comments. I hope we aren't getting McCall 2.0. A conservative and unimaginative offense would be maddening to watch again.

Buck up (in a good way, not a dOSU way).

McCall could never dream of sniffing a #37 offense. This isn't going to be the offensive version of Mike Hankwitz, but as long as Coach Hank is on board, we don't need a true complement on the other side. We just need someone who is moderately competent, which I think Bajakian could be and let Hank and the D do the rest. At the very least, he's a guy who will go vertical which I have been screaming for NU to do for the past decade, especially now with a Ferrari in the garage. At the very least, he knows and hopefully appreciates HJ, the kids gets a fresh start, preferably with an offense that isn't impossible to learn, and we are on our way.

I know why Corbi thinks McCall the O was complementary to Hank's D. It comes down to his political beliefs - you see, he doesn't believe in expanding the pie. 99.9 (Hank) + 0.1 (McCall's O) = 100. That's complementary football in his book. Well, now let's see what 99 + say 50 can do for us.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
A smattering of Reddit posts on Coach Jake, FWIW. The first two are from the thread announcing his recent hire:

GoBostonCollege
I would not be too thrilled if I were a Northwestern fan. This guy was propped up by talent and the offensive rankings are deceptive. His offense was predictable, bland and atrocious against the two talented teams we played. I am glad both he and Addazio are gone.

Some more context:

BC had a top 15 offensive line (4 lineman made an all ACC team and one was honorable mention), arguably a top 3 RB in all of NCAA football (AJ Dillon), deceptively good WRs and TEs, and this offense was still maddening to watch. Yes, the defense on this team was absolute garbage, but there were at least 2 games that a good offensive coordinator would have been able to win simply because of the talent on this offensive unit. Some of the offensive game plans that were thrown out were simply inexcusable.

Furthermore, second half adjustments were never really made and if the original game-plan fell flat, BC was 100% going to lose the game. And this is to say nothing of any clutch offensive drives late in the game, which were non-existent.

So in sum, unless you are going to put together a line that has 5 players that will be playing in the NFL and a top running back talent in the nation, I would expect a middling, bland offense out of coach Jake at Northwestern. Enjoy!

baugamania

He inherited a stacked OL but few skill position players in 2013. We went 5-7, and the offense was poor. Freshman Josh Dobbs took over late due to injuries to Justin Worley, Nathan Peterman, and Riley Ferguson. What irked me about him was how often he called jet sweeps and WR screens. That felt like 70% of the offense.

In 2014, pretty much the entire OL graduated or declared for the draft, so we returned around 8 starts (a player who played some in 2012 had been injured in 2013 IIRC). They struggled early until once again injuries forced Dobbs into action. He was a totally different player, leading us to a big finish (7-6 after bowl).

He left after that for the Bucs. Mike DeBord drastically improved the scoring the next year.

Mythic514
His play calling, in my opinion (and I see the same criticism from a lot of other fans), was pretty lackluster, especially toward the end of games. Florida and Georgia games immediately come to mind. I was also a bit worried that he was unable to get any improvement from the O-Line (although I don't really blame him for that...it was a REALLY young line). But considering the weapons he had on offense, especially in the receivers, I thought he didn't really utilize them to their best potential enough. We had a good end of season on offense, but I think most of that is attributable to Dobbs, and less so to Bajakian, considering our spark came when he began to start.

I am interested to see who we get as a replacement. My main concern is how this will affect our recruiting so close to NSD. I am not too worried, but it's hard to imagine this isn't a major point of concern with some of our offensive recruits.

danimal_deg
I think he made the absolute best out of a bad situation. Losses on an already poor offensive line, a quarterback switch, multiple wide receiver injuries, and a collectively inexperienced team kept the offense from clicking until the end of the year. The loss of Bajakian will be understated by everyone, but it should not be taken lightly.

nickknx865
I don't like the idea of him leaving, but I don't think it'd be a huge loss in terms of offensive playcalling if he did leave.

Brometheus-Pound
Shit. I can't say I'm really upset given that Jake's offense was dumbfounding at times, but did this have to happen within a month of NSD? Even if he wasn't a top recruiter, instability still hurts.

LakerBaker
Don't be a prideful douche, the play calling was bad. No offense for most of the season. Did better with Dobbs, but not a great coach. The replacement will be much better.

NOTPattyBarr

Bajakian was really up and down play calling wise. He had some games he had that were almost unbearably bad even for UT fanatics. But he had a couple moments (like the 2nd half of the 2013 Georgia game) where he seemed to always have the perfect play called for the perfect situation.

Honestly, I was still on the fence about him. His play calling seemed bad at times, but also he never really had a team that was built to be super successful on offense though. In 2013 we were basically unexperienced at WR, TE, and QB. In 2014 we had to replace all of our OL. Only one of the guys had ever started before.

I was waiting until 2015 until I made my mind up about him as a coordinator. Oh well.

boxjellyfishing
Bajakian's playcalling was hot garbage at times. His ability to make adjustments was extremely poor. I never felt like he was calling plays for the quality of players he had on the field, it always felt like he was calling plays for the players he wanted.

Take it for FWIW, but I guess this confirms why I don't see this as a homerun hire.

Boston College 37 112
Northwestern 122 27

This I guess is what gives me some hope. It couldn't be worse than with McCall. And maybe we'll even be much better (at least if we get 5 NFL Caliber OL and a top 3 Back). How good would we be with the #37 offense and the #27 defense?
Geez, can we at least let the man be announced before we start posting comments by disgruntled fans? Give the man a chance before we conclude he is average at best.

Relax, I conclude nothing. Just sharing the views of people who have witnessed his work before. FWIW. We don't have to wait for his announcement to look up information on the guy. Why is there a rule about that? What's wrong with wanting to know as much as possible about a guy who is supposed to be taking over our offense imminently?

If you forced me to give a score out of 10 for the hire, it's a 5. In other words, I'm truly on the fence. It means I'll be interested to see how he does this fall, and then I'll begin to form a clearer opinion. In other words, your request to give him a chance is graciously granted.

Now, if it were to be established that he would start Colter over Siemian, then we can rightfully conclude that his hiring was a grave, grave mistake.

GoBostonCollege

Some more context:

baugamania

Mythic514

danimal_deg

nickknx865

Brometheus-Pound

LakerBaker

NOTPattyBarr

boxjellyfishing

Boston College 37 112
Northwestern 122 27

The people with the most negative opinions also seem to have a VAST overestimation of the talent of their own team. The BC guy in particular.

GoBostonCollege

Some more context:

baugamania

Mythic514

danimal_deg

nickknx865

Brometheus-Pound

LakerBaker

NOTPattyBarr

boxjellyfishing

Boston College 37 112
Northwestern 122 27

Did you see who was on some of his offenses? Guy had a load of talent along the OL on different teams and had a struggling offense. Certainly extremely unimaginative and not convincing enough to make us forget McCall. But, Mr Fitzgerald is stubborn and simply can't attract anyone who wants to have a progressive offense.

Some things never change. Not worth season tickets since the whole parking thing is a scam now.

That said, our schedule blows next year, and my high school team can win at least 4 of these games, so I'm reasonably certain I will be going to a FloridAlum bowl party.

Did you see who was on some of his offenses? Guy had a load of talent along the OL on different teams and had a struggling offense. Certainly extremely unimaginative and not convincing enough to make us forget McCall. But, Mr Fitzgerald is stubborn and simply can't attract anyone who wants to have a progressive offense.

Some things never change. Not worth season tickets since the whole parking thing is a scam now.

That said, our schedule blows next year, and my high school team can win at least 4 of these games, so I'm reasonably certain I will be going to a FloridAlum bowl party.
By most measures, the guy has had a “struggling” offense (as we understand it) exactly once while being an OC.

Reactions: Zupicky

GoBostonCollege

Some more context:

baugamania

Mythic514

danimal_deg

nickknx865

Brometheus-Pound

LakerBaker

NOTPattyBarr

boxjellyfishing

Boston College 37 112
Northwestern 122 27

I think it's worth noting that coaches can (and should, if they're doing their job) evolve over time as well. In other words, even if we take the above comments as the gospel, the challenges that a coach faced in, say, 2013, aren't necessarily indicative of what we'll be getting today. Granted, you don't 100% change your philosophy, but I imagine that Coach Jake has learned a thing or two along the way. (Isn't that why we wanted a coach with some OC experience for the new hire?)

By most measures, the guy has had a “struggling” offense (as we understand it) exactly once while being an OC.
This was perhaps his best year. He possibly had 5 OL that will be playing in the NFL. Not sure who did the recruiting there but they did a great job with the OL. Plus his RB just declared for the NFL draft.

I'm not interested in his offense against Richmond and suck schools, but when you look at what his offense did against ranked schools, it was actually lousy.

Against Notre Dame and Clemson, in both games, his offense was stymied with the pass and total offense of around 150 yards per game. McCall actually did better with similar opponents.

His offense at Tennessee was a complete disaster. With studs and 7 OL declared for the NFL. Probably was a big reason why the coach got whacked. Again, less than 6 yards per play, which is the par benchmark. And the ACC is officially an awful football conference. We would have finished with at least 6 wins there. Just awful in football.

Look, is he better than McCall? We can assume so but McCall is a -5. This guy may be a -4, based on results. So don't be overly enthused that he is the next Kevin Wilson. It's who Fitz wants. A dud who dabbles with tight ends in an age of outside receivers.
Look, a TE friendly offense isn't bad if you can recruit 4 star OL and real TE's but it still isn't going to be 'wow' or anything modeling the successful offenses of this century.

Be prepared for more of the same next year, other than we have a awful schedule so we should at least get to 6 wins.

This was perhaps his best year. He possibly had 5 OL that will be playing in the NFL. Not sure who did the recruiting there but they did a great job with the OL. Plus his RB just declared for the NFL draft.

I'm not interested in his offense against Richmond and suck schools, but when you look at what his offense did against ranked schools, it was actually lousy.

Against Notre Dame and Clemson, in both games, his offense was stymied with the pass and total offense of around 150 yards per game. McCall actually did better with similar opponents.

His offense at Tennessee was a complete disaster. With studs and 7 OL declared for the NFL. Probably was a big reason why the coach got whacked. Again, less than 6 yards per play, which is the par benchmark. And the ACC is officially an awful football conference. We would have finished with at least 6 wins there. Just awful in football.

Look, is he better than McCall? We can assume so but McCall is a -5. This guy may be a -4, based on results. So don't be overly enthused that he is the next Kevin Wilson. It's who Fitz wants. A dud who dabbles with tight ends in an age of outside receivers.
Look, a TE friendly offense isn't bad if you can recruit 4 star OL and real TE's but it still isn't going to be 'wow' or anything modeling the successful offenses of this century.

Be prepared for more of the same next year, other than we have a awful schedule so we should at least get to 6 wins.
I'm not trying to predict next year and it's very clear that this is a guy that will stylistically keep within what Fitz wants, so you're right that anyone who thinks this guy is the next Kevin Wilson (not sure why anyone would pine for the days of that asshole) is very much wrong.

His offense at UT improved year over year in points scored, yards per game, and SP+. He's had one year over the course of being an OC in which the offense didn't improve year over year. Butch Jones was fired from UT in 2017...Bajakian went to the NFL in 2015, so not sure what you're talking about.

A quick search shows that in 2013 UT had 1 G drafted and in 2014 they had an OT. Then they didn't have another draft pick until 2017. So, again, not sure what you're talking about.

I would gladly take a bet with respect to all 5 of BC's OL from this year playing >3 games in the NFL.

Reactions: FitzFan
One comment which I hope is not true is that he was not a good recruiter. NU needs all the recruiting firepower possible, especially on offense. Anyway, let’s see what happens. We’ll be able to draw our own conclusion in 2-3 years....

Good grief. The ink is still trying in the employment contract and the online missives are already in launch mode. Some days I just don’t want to Internet (but I must).
The Turk M.O. is to rile up the masses and make up $&#@ to fit the narrative. Truth is he has no idea if this hire will be a good one. None of us do. Luckily, most are willing to give the man a chance before hurling insults.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
The people with the most negative opinions also seem to have a VAST overestimation of the talent of their own team. The BC guy in particular.
EXACTLY this.

No idea if this guy will be great, good, or terrible, but I'm not about to take the word of BC fans who still think they should be Matt Ryan/Tom O'Brien good, or UT fans who think if you ain't cheatin' then you ain't tryin'.

More than anything, as a fan I am just truly thankful that Fitz finally saw a need to make a change. If this guy is bad I do not think he will be here for 10 years.

GoBostonCollege

Some more context:

baugamania

Mythic514

danimal_deg

nickknx865

Brometheus-Pound

LakerBaker

NOTPattyBarr

boxjellyfishing

Boston College 37 112
Northwestern 122 27

Wow. I hope Fitz reconsiders based on this new information!

Reactions: NUCat320
The Turk M.O. is to rile up the masses and make up $&#@ to fit the narrative. Truth is he has no idea if this hire will be a good one. None of us do. Luckily, most are willing to give the man a chance before hurling insults.
Definition of insanity. Yea, let's keep running a 1980s offense and look, we actually found someone who does.
No insults, it's called evidence. You guys want to include stats against peewees like Richmond and sisters of the poor then fine. You want to crown him, then crown him. But I compared evidence against schools that were ranked. Um,we have a lot of those in the Big Ten. And against quality opponents, his offenses barely squeezed by 150 yards per game with only token TD's. Those der the facs maam.

Does that mean he won't do good against Big Ten ranked teams either, no. But it is a good indicator. McCall 2.0, based on the evidence and offensive schemes. Running TE offenses in an outside wide culture. Not good!

The comments here make me question the value of a Northwestern education. Anyway, simple question before relegating Coach Jake (Thank goodness I don't need to remember the spelling of his last name.) to the dung heap one day into his career with NU. Were the blog snippets representative or were there others less negative, or God forbid, positive comments? Somehow I think I know the answer to that question. The other question I should ask but won't is why should NU bloggers care about random BU bloggers who more likely than not are clueless?

Last edited:
The comments here make me question the value of a Northwestern education. Anyway, simple question before relegating Coach Jake (Thank goodness I don't need to remember the spelling of his last name.) to the dung heap one day into his career with NU. Were the blog snippets representative or were there others less negative, or God forbid, positive comments? Somehow I think I know the answer to that question. The other question I should ask but won't is why should NU bloggers care about random BU bloggers who more likely than not are clueless?
There was a lot of positive on Reddit. Clearly not enough was posted on here, but I feel good about this hire based on what I’ve read. Reddit swings both ways but there was a ton of talk about it.

Reactions: ricko654321

1. They were representative. I tried to add every single post that had any real perspective. Some of the comments above are not wholly negative (at least one was easily neutral, several lamented over his leaving, although mainly because of impact on NSD, and one was I think saying Jake was undervalued). Unfortunately, none were overwhelmingly positive either.

I will say this - most of the reddit posts above were UT fans, because only one thread was on the current hire and there were only two comments there (one BC). The bulk of the rest were UT posts were upon reaction to his leaving 4 years ago. Jake objectively didn't do a fantastic job at UT (weakest performance of his career, outside of the top 50 and declined from #9 to #67 when he first took over), so the comments were naturally negative to neutral/slightly positive. Shouldn't be a surprise. I noted earlier, if you peruse the BC Boards, their comments are markedly more positive, so while the lone BC post on reddit was negative, I don't think it is representative of most BC fans according to their fan forums.

2. Your guess on the answer to the question was wrong (no one should be surprised).

3. No one is saying we should care. It's just content from the internet - and as caveated, take it FWIW. I happen to care a bit about what previous fans who have a basis to judge Jake's work have to say, because I'm quite curious what to expect. Do with what you read on the internet including on this board what you will at your own risk.

There was a lot of positive on Reddit. Clearly not enough was posted on here, but I feel good about this hire based on what I’ve read. Reddit swings both ways but there was a ton of talk about it.

Of course all of the NU fans posting were positive. Many simply because he wasn't McCall. Everything is relative.

What I tried to accomplish from the exercise was to attempt to glean some 411 from those who have seen his body of work and had a view, since NU fans are a blank slate. What I shared earlier was from before the official announcement and I tried to capture only the comments from those BC and UT fans that I could find (I would have included WMU and Cincinnatti too if there were any).

This said, there are a couple additional comments upon the official announcement which are much more positive:

cardeez
FWIW, I was always pleased with him at Tennessee.

mountaingoatbungee
I liked what he did. There were times when you could tell Addazio overruled him and that’s when the bad shit happened.

In any case, there was no intended bias with what I did. I found the comments interesting and decided to share them. I also added that while I would love to see top 20 caliber offenses like we have had in the past, #37 is far better than #120, and I also add that over his career as an OC, Bajakian has averaged over 420 yards of offense and 31 ppg. I think we will all take that after this year's (and this decade's) putrid performance.

Give Hank 31 ppg to defend, and I bet we win more games than we ever did with the so called "complementary offense" of Mick McCall.

Last edited:
Of course all of the NU fans posting were positive. Many simply because he wasn't McCall. Everything is relative.

What I tried to accomplish from the exercise was to attempt to glean some 411 from those who have seen his body of work and had a view, since NU fans are a blank slate. What I shared earlier was from before the official announcement and I tried to capture only the comments from those BC and UT fans that I could find (I would have included WMU and Cincinnatti too if there were any).

This said, there are a couple additional comments upon the official announcement which are much more positive:

cardeez
FWIW, I was always pleased with him at Tennessee.

mountaingoatbungee
I liked what he did. There were times when you could tell Addazio overruled him and that’s when the bad shit happened.

In any case, there was no intended bias with what I did. I found the comments interesting and decided to share them. I also added that while I would love to see top 20 caliber offenses like we have had in the past, #37 is far better than #120, and I also add that over his career as an OC, Bajakian has averaged over 420 yards of offense and 31 ppg. I think we will all take that after this year's (and this decade's) putrid performance.

Give Hank 31 ppg to defend, and I bet we win more games than we ever did with the so called "complementary offense" of Mick McCall.
Tennesee fans think they are a Natty contenders each and every year. They complain about everything.

1. They were representative. I tried to add every single post that had any real perspective. Some of the comments above are not wholly negative (at least one was easily neutral, several lamented over his leaving, although mainly because of impact on NSD, and one was I think saying Jake was undervalued). Unfortunately, none were overwhelmingly positive either.

I will say this - most of the reddit posts above were UT fans, because only one thread was on the current hire and there were only two comments there (one BC). The bulk of the rest were UT posts were upon reaction to his leaving 4 years ago. Jake objectively didn't do a fantastic job at UT (weakest performance of his career, outside of the top 50 and declined from #9 to #67 when he first took over), so the comments were naturally negative to neutral/slightly positive. Shouldn't be a surprise. I noted earlier, if you peruse the BC Boards, their comments are markedly more positive, so while the lone BC post on reddit was negative, I don't think it is representative of most BC fans according to their fan forums.

2. Your guess on the answer to the question was wrong (no one should be surprised).

3. No one is saying we should care. It's just content from the internet - and as caveated, take it FWIW. I happen to care a bit about what previous fans who have a basis to judge Jake's work have to say, because I'm quite curious what to expect. Do with what you read on the internet including on this board what you will at your own risk.
A few quick searches suggest that a fair amount of BC fans liked Bajakian. See the links below:

https://247sports.com/board/59454/Contents/mike-bajakian-to-northwestern-139980293/

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2019/12/7/21000087/bajakian-out

https://bcheights.com/2019/12/08/northwestern-eyeing-boston-college-oc-mike-bajakian/

I think it's worth noting that coaches can (and should, if they're doing their job) evolve over time as well. In other words, even if we take the above comments as the gospel, the challenges that a coach faced in, say, 2013, aren't necessarily indicative of what we'll be getting today. Granted, you don't 100% change your philosophy, but I imagine that Coach Jake has learned a thing or two along the way. (Isn't that why we wanted a coach with some OC experience for the new hire?)
Except he was just at BC

Because they(the NU bloggers) are also clueless and like the company

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT