ADVERTISEMENT

Belichick calls out Carr in post gamer presser

I'd have to expect with what AC has done in the preseason for NEPats that even if he gets cut by one team- another will sign him and grab his talents ASAP. Wouldn't he look great in a Bears uniform catching passes from Tribisky?

Reactions: DopeTonic
I'd have to expect with what AC has done in the preseason for NEPats that even if he gets cut by one team- another will sign him and grab his talents ASAP. Wouldn't he look great in a Bears uniform catching passes from Tribisky?
I wonder if that might be the best thing for him. Even if he makes the Pats 53 man roster, he will probably be inactive all season unless there are a couple injuries. The Pats are just loaded. However, if he gets picked up by a team with poor WR depth, he might work his way up to the 3rd or 4th receiver and catch some balls this year.

Reactions: rmndcat
A receiver in the NFL is only as good as the team around him. If the QB is average and the scheme is geared differently his place on a team with a weak WR corps may NOT be ideal. His talents would be wasted if the team around him is inefficient and insufficient for him to function at his high level. On the hand, being cut from the Pts would seem unlikely since Belechik rarely praises those he lets go. His time on the NE Pats may be on the practice squad, but, if not, then he WILL be picked up elsewhere.

A receiver in the NFL is only as good as the team around him. If the QB is average and the scheme is geared differently his place on a team with a weak WR corps may NOT be ideal. His talents would be wasted if the team around him is inefficient and insufficient for him to function at his high level. On the hand, being cut from the Pts would seem unlikely since Belechik rarely praises those he lets go. His time on the NE Pats may be on the practice squad, but, if not, then he WILL be picked up elsewhere.
With the growth he showed last year, a year on the practice squad could advance him further. I'm not sure if a practice squad is just filler and cannon fodder or truly developmental.

He would have to get through waivers for the Pats to put him on the practice squad. Based on the tape he's put out there and praise he's earned from Belicheck, I don't know that he would make it through waivers and some other team would take a flyer to carry him on their 53-man this season.

One item of note: If any player anywhere in the NFL gets shelved to his current team's practice squad after the NFL preseason, he literally gets put on open waivers with unrestricted free agent status where-upon ANY OTHER TEAM interested in adding this prospect's route running savvy, receiving accumen and disregard for his body to make the acrobatic catching attempt while his cover DB is draped all over him will get first dibs before the Pats do. AC's recognized quality WR reputation at the professional level could lead to an all-out bidding war among interested NFL franchises. That means AC will see BIG $$$ thrown in his direction if the Pats choose to roll the dice in an attempt to "hide" him on their 10-man practice squad (good for him). I can't fathom that either the Pats' front office and/or Belichick could ever be stupid or arrogant enough to allow AC, as the 2017 season's preseason equivalent of a Julian Edelman-like WR prospect, to become available to other teams, especially rivals, via the waiver wire. The NFL franchise in Foxboro just doesn't do that, period - end of story. If Belichick, who holds a Fitz-like reputation for playing his player personnel cards close to his vest, is tooting AC's horn, that means the Pats are VERY interested in retaining his services. Count on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mickbula
Guys get picked off practice squads by other teams all the time. And it is not like there are not a lot of injuries in the NFL. He will get his chance at NE or elsewhere

says he was one of four player who were on the field for a lot of plays and looked good.

Pulling for AC to make the roster.

Here is the effusive, over the top BB quote:

“I thought that Kony and Kidder, O’Shaughnessy, Carr, guys like that that played a high number of snaps did some very positive things,” Belichick said. Like everybody, there are things that could have been better and that they need to work on, but I thought they showed up positively a number of times.”

WOW! That's some high praise coming from him.

Go AC!!

As with TS, some of us show NU syndrome in doubting an NU WR can make an NFL team and start. It's not easy to impress Belichick.

As for career opportunities, while AC is catching Brady, he knows the pass is gonna be catchable and in sharing time with the Pat's WRs, he should save his body.

But I'd love to see him on the Broncos or even the Bears, as would Trevor or Mitch.

Reactions: rmndcat
One item of note: If any player anywhere in the NFL gets shelved to his current team's practice squad after the NFL preseason, he literally gets put on open waivers with unrestricted free agent status where-upon ANY OTHER TEAM interested in adding this prospect's route running savvy, receiving accumen and disregard for his body to make the acrobatic catching attempt while his cover DB is draped all over him will get first dibs before the Pats do. AC's recognized quality WR reputation at the professional level could lead to an all-out bidding war among interested NFL franchises, which means AC will see BIG $$$ thrown in his direction if the Pats choose to roll the dice in an attempt to "hide" him on their 10-man practice squad. I cannot fathom that the Pats' front office and/or Belichick could ever be stupid or arrogant enough to allow AC, as the 2017 season's preseason equivalent of a Julian Edelman-like WR prospect, to ever become available to other teams via the waiver wire. The NFL franchise in Foxboro just doesn't do that, period - end of story. If Belichick, who holds a Fitz-like reputation for playing his player personnel cards close to his vest, is tooting AC's horn, that means the Pats are VERY interested in retaining his services. Count on it.

Slight clarification: In order to be put on the practice squad in the first place, a player has to make it through waivers unclaimed. If a player is claimed on waivers, he must be added to the claiming team's 53-man roster, though it is extremely unlikely that claimed players sign for more than the minimum salary because they have literally zero leverage. If a player goes unclaimed, he can then be signed to the practice squad; if another team wants to sign that player off the practice squad, he must be added to the 53-man roster and collect a minimum of three game checks (though it's again uncommon for players signed off practice squads to be paid much more than the minimum because they still don't have a ton of leverage, seeing as all NFL teams passed on them during the waiver process and most guys are just looking for a shot to make an active roster).

The way Carr has been playing so far, I doubt he would go through waivers unclaimed. Some NFL team with poor WR depth and/or injuries would likely take a flyer to see what he could do as a 5th or 6th wideout and special teams guy. This would eliminate the "bidding war" you describe above, but would at least ensure that AC has a chance to be on an active NFL roster.

If the Pats were planning on stashing him, I doubt they would be talking him up as much. He'll either be on the Pats 53 man roster or be picked up by another team. New England is such an ideal fit for AC, I hope he makes it there. Another team may not have a scheme that fits him so well and may not appreciate all the little things that will make him a contributor as an NFL WR.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT