ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten moving west?

While the whole academic arm to the B1G is nice and all, simply adding Stanford wouldn't, so to speak, expand the pie when it comes to research $$.

ND is not a big research school, but there's no question that the B1G would take ND over Stanford (plus, schools like UCLA and Washington are big when it comes to research in their own right).

Hopkins is also a huge research school and I'm sure there is some cooperation with JHU being a member in one sport, but probably not much of an impact for NU when it comes to research (if anything, NU and JHU are competing for the same research $$).

Olympics sports have about zero impact on these decisions.

Even men's basketball has little impact which is why Kansas and possibly Dook (another big research school) in the future will be looking from the outside.

But the Bay area cares about Stanford sports as much as the Chicagoland area cares about Northwestern sports.

If anything, more people in the region care more about Cal sports, but if push comes to shove, think the B1G would take Stanford over Cal (can't see them taking both schools from the Bay area) unless maybe UCLA really pushes for Cal.
I’d argue the Bay Area cares even less about Stanford than the Chicagoland area. I lived in SF for 6 years and did not hear a peep about Stanford sports.

I’d argue the Bay Area cares even less about Stanford than the Chicagoland area. I lived in SF for 6 years and did not hear a peep about Stanford sports.

While that may be true, pretty sure more Stanford grads stay in the area as opposed to NU grads (maybe I know too many Stanford grads).

With basically the B1G and SEC being the 2 "super conferences" (likely ending up with 20 or more schools), they will be able to dictate the playoff format.

Personally, think a 6 team format makes a lot of sense with the B1G and SEC both guaranteed 2 teams with the conf champs getting a bye (need to have something worth playing for when it comes to the B1G and SEC championships) with the 2 other slots being open, including to the B1G and SEC (so theoretically, one conference can have 4 teams in the playoffs).

An alternative to this would be the B1G and SEC basically separating themselves from the other conferences like the Premier League in English football.

Then, you would have a playoffs within each conference and then have the 2 conf. champs play in the college equivalent of the SB.
The 2 big conferences don’t need the other guys. Champs play each other, title decided

If they add more, outside of ND, Washington amd Oregon are really the only two that make sense. This round of alignment isn’t about population for TV networks, it is about making the most big time matchups for your TV partner to air. It’s why the SEC went to a state they already had for Texas.
This isn’t a coincidence this leaked and came out as the Big Ten is in negotiations with the other networks.

I think there is little question that it doesn’t end with USC & UCLA; that move makes everyone else in the PAC 12, Big 12, and ACC potentially available. The time would be now to at least scoop up anyone else they want.

Baylor? **** that idea. That would be horrendous.
I could be wrong on Baylor as my ears, as well as my eyes, my feet and the rest of my body are not what they used to be. LOL

Why? You have no interest in watching UCLA or USC at Ryan Field?
As non-conference opponents it wouldn't bother me. I long for the old school Big Ten. I thought Penn State was a fit, but these other additions have transformed it from a regional conference to a economic cooperative. The tradition is gone.

We now get to see Spartans vs Trojans! This will hearken back to the days of Homer

Reactions: NJCat
We now get to see Spartans vs Trojans! This will hearken back to the days of Homer
I thought about this yesterday, but I wasn't sure if the Spartans are from the same region of Greece as the Greeks that fought Troy.

I thought about this yesterday, but I wasn't sure if the Spartans are from the same region of Greece as the Greeks that fought Troy.
Menelaus was the Spartan king that joined the other Greeks when they sailed for Troy. He wasn’t as central of a figure as Achilles or Odysseus but the Spartans were there.

Reactions: rmndcat
Menelaus was the Spartan king that joined the other Greeks when they sailed for Troy. He wasn’t as central of a figure as Achilles or Odysseus but the Spartans were there.

In Greek mythology, Menelaus was a king of Mycenaean Sparta. According to the Iliad, Menelaus was a central figure in the Trojan War, leading the Spartan contingent of the Greek army, under his elder brother Agamemnon, king of Mycenae. Prominent in both the Iliad and Odyssey, Menelaus was also popular in Greek vase painting and Greek tragedy, the latter more as a hero of the Trojan War than as a member of the doomed House of Atreus.

In Greek mythology, Menelaus was a king of Mycenaean Sparta. According to the Iliad, Menelaus was a central figure in the Trojan War, leading the Spartan contingent of the Greek army, under his elder brother Agamemnon, king of Mycenae. Prominent in both the Iliad and Odyssey, Menelaus was also popular in Greek vase painting and Greek tragedy, the latter more as a hero of the Trojan War than as a member of the doomed House of Atreus.
I can't believe you dropped all this knowledge for free for us proletariat to read!

Helen was his wife, so he was a key part of story.

I like MD and RU. I loved in Balt for seven years. I've been to both FB stadiums and MD Bball. But anyone that pretends that SC and UCLA aren't upgrades from that is delusional. And Nebraska is just annoying
Ah, yes the old if-you-don’t-agree-with-me-you’re-delusional argument. Solid and unassailable.

Why? You have no interest in watching UCLA or USC at Ryan Field?
Honestly? I have no interest in watching USC at all. Four quarters plus one half of that monotonous fight song and I’m ready to be institutionalized. Don’t allow that band anywhere near the Midwest.

The end game is a new division that leaves behind the NCAA and makes it own rules on NIL/transfers. Will have 36 to 40 teams who only play each other. Big money from TV and big money to players. Notre Dame and North Carolina will join the North. Florida State and Clemson will join the South. Pity to our rivals at Stanford and Duke. Northwestern emerges as the top academic option in the top athletic division and as the natural rival to Notre Dame.
In other words, it won't be college football anymore?

I think the addition of USC then demands a trophy game between USC and MSU. I would be surprised if mock-ups haven't already been made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT