ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten starting 10/21 and eligible for playoff

TejasCat

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2010
latest rumor from a source that has had correct info all along

@SirYacht

BREAKING: B1G Presidents have a principal agreement to start the Big Ten season October 21st or sooner and they WILL be part of the College Football Playoff, per source.

Reactions: NJCat
Honestly, mind as well. With the way things are going in the US, not playing isn’t going to help any. It’s like barring PRC nationals from flying into the US, but letting US citizens who may be infected fly in from China, Or continuing to let anyone fly in from Europe. Or it’s like 80% of the people wearing masks, but 20% deciding not to. Either you lock everything down, or you don’t. If you go half assed, well, you get 6m infections and counting.

Then again, maybe I’m just wanting to watch me some Wildcat football. Especially since with a new OC, and a new HM B1G QB transfer, I think we will contend for the league title and be a part of that College Football Playoff.

Honestly, mind as well. With the way things are going in the US, not playing isn’t going to help any. It’s like barring PRC nationals from flying into the US, but letting US citizens who may be infected fly in from China, Or continuing to let anyone fly in from Europe. Or it’s like 80% of the people wearing masks, but 20% deciding not to. Either you lock everything down, or you don’t. If you go half assed, well, you get 6m infections and counting.

Then again, maybe I’m just wanting to watch me some Wildcat football. Especially since with a new OC, and a new HM B1G QB transfer, I think we will contend for the league title and be a part of that College Football Playoff.
Hopefully we play the buckeyes. Half their team already declared so i think they will only suit up 40 five stars.

Meanwhile, back to reality. Iowa has several outbreaks related to college campuses like Iowa and Iowa State. Iowa State is supposed to be hosting a game with thousands of fans- but no worries. All fans attending will be wearing masks and maintaining social distancing- right?

The word “delusional” some how comes to mind. Here in San Diego we are experiencing spikes among students at San Diego State. Reference my previous post that contained an article about research pointing to the futility of trying to limit interaction among college students and the results we are seeing in the breakouts on campuses across the country. There might be hope having games with no fans in the stands. But having games with thousands of fans like Iowa State is hosting is insane at this point.

Reactions: rmndcat

Meanwhile, back to reality. Iowa has several outbreaks related to college campuses like Iowa and Iowa State. Iowa State is supposed to be hosting a game with thousands of fans- but no worries. All fans attending will be wearing masks and maintaining social distancing- right?

The word “delusional” some how comes to mind. Here in San Diego we are experiencing spikes among students at San Diego State. Reference my previous post that contained an article about research pointing to the futility of trying to limit interaction among college students and the results we are seeing in the breakouts on campuses across the country. There might be hope having games with no fans in the stands. But having games with thousands of fans like Iowa State is hosting is insane at this point.
So there arent any hospital admissions or kindly inform us of the science?
Pssst. Over here.......didnt you know that the flu and mono affects these kids worse?

Cmon maaaan. Enough of the dopey "Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my".

Again, out of a 1000 at iowa or iowa st, please go away and do your research then report back cuz nobody that is smart will buy your rotten cookies!
Turk needs to declare half of you brain dead because fans wanna know!
(Edit: if a bunch of 85 yo nursing home peeps were going to play football or someone with diabetes, R A and a half dozen other things, then Id say that we shouldnt play. Stop the madness and follow science like Trump!)

Pssst. Over here.......didnt you know that the flu and mono affects these kids worse?

Again, out of a 1000 at iowa or iowa st, please go away and do your research then report back cuz nobody that is smart will buy your rotten cookies!
(Edit: if a bunch of 85 yo nursing home peeps were going to play football or someone with diabetes, R A and a half dozen other things, then Id say that we shouldnt play. Stop the madness and follow science like Trump!)
Turk , I'm sorry but your stupidity is showing, greatly!

I guess I’m not sure which of the multiple “personalities” you are posting under to reply to. The article points to red zones in Iowa, mainly their college towns where there are significant outbreaks. The article refers to warnings coming from the state agency/commission overseeing and tracking the virus across Iowa. The have recommended masks, social distancing and limits of groups of ten or less. Iowa State is ramping up to hold a home game with thousands of fans. I know it’s difficult for you to bring yourself out from under the bridge you and your other identities occupy. Having games with fans makes no sense, esp with Iowa leading the nation in rates of infections. Maybe have a more in-depth conversation sometime with yourself and other multiple identities to figure this out. Keep trading and responding to the emails you post to each other.

• Haha
Reactions: willycat

So your stance is basically "**** it, let's roll the dice!"

Please put this offensive nonsense on the Rant Board where it belongs. In fact, much of this thread belongs on the Rant Board to the extent that it contains political commentary.

"Offensive?" How and to whom?

Turk , I'm sorry but your stupidity is showing, greatly!
You need a new schtick or a thesaurus. Here are some different words for stupid so that we don’t have to read this same post over and over again.
Note: I am kind of fond of puerile.

dull
dumb
foolish
futile
ill-advised
irrelevant
laughable
ludicrous
naive
senseless
shortsighted
simple
trivial
dummy
loser
rash
thick
unintelligent
brainless
dazed
deficient
dense
dim
doltish
dopey
gullible
half-baked
half-witted
idiotic
imbecilic
inane
indiscreet
insensate
meaningless
mindless
moronic
nonsensical
obtuse
out to lunch
pointless
puerile
simpleminded
slow
sluggish
stolid
stupefied
thick-headed
unthinking
witless

I, too, am offended that there has been no federal response to this pandemic and that college football is prioritized over society.
Reading comprehension, obviously, is not one of your strengths. Please come to grips with the fact that there are a lot of smart people in the world who don't agree with you and head over to the Rant Board where this stuff belongs.

Reading comprehension, obviously, is not one of your strengths. Please come to grips with the fact that there are a lot of smart people in the world who don't agree with you and head over to the Rant Board where this stuff belongs.
I think sarcasm detection is not one of your strengths (it’s not one of mine either on message boards). But to get this back on Big Ten football:

Kirk Cousins, former MSU and current NFL QB, claims he’s not concerned and that “if he dies, he dies”. On a scale of 1 to 10 of concern, with the 10 being the most concerned, he’s a “0.00001”. Is this the stance that you think all players should have?

Reactions: nugnrfan82
I think sarcasm detection is not one of your strengths (it’s not one of mine either on message boards). But to get this back on Big Ten football:

Kirk Cousins, former MSU and current NFL QB, claims he’s not concerned and that “if he dies, he dies”. On a scale of 1 to 10 of concern, with the 10 being the most concerned, he’s a “0.00001”. Is this the stance that you think all players should have?

In fairness to Cousins, for the typical college and NFL player demographic (young and healthy), a season of football is probably more likely to kill you, damage your body, or shorten your life than catching COVID-19. Of course the dangers of football (to health and body) + COVID-19 simultaneously increase overall risk as they're compounding risks if a season is played.

That's my take-away anyway from the USS Teddy Roosevelt where 1,200 sailors (generally young and healthy like football players) tested positive and only one passed away (40-year old).

The biggest problem with playing a season is the logistics behind what happens when a player or two, three or four on a team of 100 tests positive on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Can you play a game Saturday?

Also, how does Northwestern play at Iowa if Illinois requires a 14 day quarantine for Illinois residents who travel to Iowa and back? There would need to be some exceptions made by governors, etc. and its unclear the governors would be on the same page.

Reactions: No Chores
latest rumor from a source that has had correct info all along

@SirYacht

BREAKING: B1G Presidents have a principal agreement to start the Big Ten season October 21st or sooner and they WILL be part of the College Football Playoff, per source.

For what it's worth

Reactions: corbi296
In fairness to Cousins, for the typical college and NFL player demographic (young and healthy), a season of football is probably more likely to kill you, damage your body, or shorten your life than catching COVID-19. Of course the dangers of football (to health and body) + COVID-19 simultaneously increase overall risk as they're compounding risks if a season is played.

That's my take-away anyway from the USS Teddy Roosevelt where 1,200 sailors (generally young and healthy like football players) tested positive and only one passed away (40-year old).

The biggest problem with playing a season is the logistics behind what happens when a player or two, three or four on a team of 100 tests positive on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Can you play a game Saturday?

Also, how does Northwestern play at Iowa if Illinois requires a 14 day quarantine for Illinois residents who travel to Iowa and back? There would need to be some exceptions made by governors, etc. and its unclear the governors would be on the same page.
I generally agree and thought we would play football regardless due to the gladiator mentality of players and coaches. And I wouldn’t be shocked if a majority of even NU players agreed with him.

I shared an article about two HS players that were killed last year due to game injuries and no one blinked. It’s a violent, tough sport.

But the difference between the USSTR and any football team: there are no linemen or any obese players on that ship, and I bet those sailors are better conditioned than the vast majority of football players. The Indiana OL was fighting for his life - and given how many massive CFB players there are, it is scary to think what will happen if a bunch of 350 pound guys catch it.

Your other questions are valid and currently unanswerable - and any Governor who prioritizes college football being played over general population safety needs to be removed from office that day.

If the B1G had committed to a bubble of some sort - however difficult it would be to pull off - then we’d be in a different situation. But we didn’t so now I’ll wait until 2021 to cheer on my Cats if needed.

Reactions: NUCat320

Is the abnormally high rate of heart abnormalities and myocarditis cases in people (including athletes) who have had COVID (including those who were asymptomatic or had light symptoms) not a concern to you?

You make a good point about the players being young and generally healthy (with a few exceptions of pre-existing conditions).

The main concern, of course, would be the coaching staff and auxiliary support personnel. Hankwitz, Long, Fitz's dad, etc. are not spring chickens and definitely in the risk category. I guess if they diligently wear masks and employ good sanitizing procedures, they can be relatively safe.

Is the abnormally high rate of heart abnormalities and myocarditis cases in people (including athletes) who have had COVID (including those who were asymptomatic or had light symptoms) not a concern to you?

Not compared to general disrepair a season of football does to your brain, organs and body (knees, back, neck, shoulders, etc.)

By playing football at the college or NFL level, you should expect to shorten your life as well as the quality of life in later years. That's not the case for all, but its a case for the majority. If you're not willing to accept that risk, you ought not play football at the higher levels.

Of course, I also think playing a season = fewer players catching COVID than otherwise. College football players playing football will catch COVID at a lower rate than the general student body given the protocols in place (inside the complex) as well as the incentive to social distance when not in the complex. That's an opinion, but I understand the mind of an 18-22 year old college football player who desperately wants to play football.

You make a good point about the players being young and generally healthy (with a few exceptions of pre-existing conditions).

The main concern, of course, would be the coaching staff and auxiliary support personnel. Hankwitz, Long, Fitz's dad, etc. are not spring chickens and definitely in the risk category. I guess if they diligently wear masks and employ good sanitizing procedures, they can be relatively safe.

Of course, outside practice with coaches/staff keeping a 6+ feet distance would have to be a protocol. Easier said than done I guess. Outside + 6 feet of distance = pretty hard to catch COVID with our without a mask.

Not compared to general disrepair a season of football does to your brain, organs and body (knees, back, neck, shoulders, etc.)

By playing football at the college or NFL level, you should expect to shorten your life as well as the quality of life in later years. That's not the case for all, but its a case for the majority. If you're not willing to accept that risk, you ought not play football at the higher levels.

Of course, I also think playing a season = fewer players catching COVID than otherwise. College football players playing football will catch COVID at a lower rate than the general student body given the protocols in place (inside the complex) as well as the incentive to social distance when not in the complex. That's an opinion, but I understand the mind of an 18-22 year old college football player who desperately wants to play football.
I get it, but there's something to be said about known vs. unknown risks.

Everything you cite above is largely a known risk (even if some crazies will deny the whole CTE aspect). Additionally, you'll remember that the NCAA and NFL already paid out settlements with respect to CTE in the process of it becoming a known risk. I think that's what you're looking at here: if season goes on, people test positive for COVID and later develop heart problems, you're going to see lawsuits (with a higher than average chance of succeeding) to get the NCAA and/or member schools to payout on this.

In my opinion, this is what is driving the postpone/cancel decisions (along with a non-zero threat of a successful union case). I don't actually disagree that in a rigorously controlled environment facilitated by football, fewer players would get COVID than if they were just in the general student population; however, the "rigorously controlled" part of it gets into a lot of time/manner/place facts regarding employment...there's only so far you can push that factual envelope before you get a viable employment claim.

Everyone's walking on eggshells with this stuff, and I'm sympathetic to it. There's enough health and legal risk here to tread lightly.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

A while back, I discovered the average life expectancy of a NFL linemen is about 52 years and the average NFL player was in the high 50s. It justifies the decision of a stud like Mulroe to walk away and not pursue the league after college.

I don’t have the source on that anymore and it’s dated info; I’d be curious to see if anyone tracks that at all anymore. It also showed that 82% of NFL players were divorced, unemployed, or bankrupt only a couple of years after they were done playing.

There’s no need to drop that average any further, and certainly not cause potentially awful health outcomes for fans, students, or coaches.

Recent studies show follow-on risks for recovered Covid19 people, in the 40-50 age bracket.

A sample study by the Journal of American Medical Association conducted in Frankfurt, Germany found 78% of the recovered Covid-19 respondents developed heart-related problems. These were healthy individuals, aged 40 to 50 before the novel coronavirus infection. A study by the UK’s Edinburgh University, in 69 countries across six continents, found heart abnormality in 55% patients while 15% patients showed severe abnormalities. All such recovered cases never had had related issues in the past.​

Agreed! Illinois has a self quarantine tule with 55 states,and last I checked, we only had 52 states!

I get it, but there's something to be said about known vs. unknown risks.

Everything you cite above is largely a known risk (even if some crazies will deny the whole CTE aspect). Additionally, you'll remember that the NCAA and NFL already paid out settlements with respect to CTE in the process of it becoming a known risk. I think that's what you're looking at here: if season goes on, people test positive for COVID and later develop heart problems, you're going to see lawsuits (with a higher than average chance of succeeding) to get the NCAA and/or member schools to payout on this.

In my opinion, this is what is driving the postpone/cancel decisions (along with a non-zero threat of a successful union case). I don't actually disagree that in a rigorously controlled environment facilitated by football, fewer players would get COVID than if they were just in the general student population; however, the "rigorously controlled" part of it gets into a lot of time/manner/place facts regarding employment...there's only so far you can push that factual envelope before you get a viable employment claim.

Everyone's walking on eggshells with this stuff, and I'm sympathetic to it. There's enough health and legal risk here to tread lightly.

All fair points. Universities are risk-averse. If you're playing or coaching football, you're not risk-averse.

I think that's the divide.

I'm not advocating for throwing caution to wind and just turning the season back on. I appreciate the logistical/legal impossibilities even if I think having a season is ultimately safer than not having a season for your typical college football player based on what I think I know. Of course unknown unknowns are the rub.

I do know we cannot continue to shrink-wrap ourselves or our young people forever. Of course, that doesn't mean throwing caution to the wind either.

A while back, I discovered the average life expectancy of a NFL linemen is about 52 years and the average NFL player was in the high 50s. It justifies the decision of a stud like Mulroe to walk away and not pursue the league after college.

I don’t have the source on that anymore and it’s dated info; I’d be curious to see if anyone tracks that at all anymore. It also showed that 82% of NFL players were divorced, unemployed, or bankrupt only a couple of years after they were done playing.

There’s no need to drop that average any further, and certainly not cause potentially awful health outcomes for fans, students, or coaches.

I remember seeing similar numbers. It's one of the factors that drove my decision to leave the NFL before they kicked me out. That + league minimum salary for a 3-year contract... ;) I'm willing to take risk. Just needed more reward.

I would not want to be the first AD that has to explain to his President that they have to pay millions of dollars to settle a wrongful death lawsuit in 5-10 years when a player dies earlier than expected from myocarditis or another "COVID-adjacent" long-term health issue. You know those lawsuits are coming and, no matter whether or not the ailment can actually be traced to playing college football, there will most likely be large sums of dollars paid in settlements.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT