ADVERTISEMENT

Blake Smith scholarship

I’m not sure what else needs to be said. I’m looking forward to the video. Thanks Blake, you deserve it.
Definitely needs to be a good article on his story. It’s a good one, and he has the most potential that I can ever remember from a walk-on at NU.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
I’m not sure what else needs to be said. I’m looking forward to the video. Thanks Blake, you deserve it.
Pay Me GIF

As much as I love what Smith has done for NU; I’m hopeful there’s a way NU can preserve that scholarship slot for someone else. We have some big shoes to fill next season. Perhaps he stays as a walk-on, but has an NIL payday to offset the cost of tuition ala Josh Priebe at Michigan?

As much as I love what Smith has done for NU; I’m hopeful there’s a way NU can preserve that scholarship slot for someone else. We have some big shoes to fill next season. Perhaps he stays as a walk-on, but has an NIL payday to offset the cost of tuition ala Josh Priebe at Michigan?
Terrible idea. Give him a scholarship for his efforts. We need him to develop fulltime.

If Priebe didn’t get a full scholarship plus NIL costs, then he got hosed.

Interesting strategy. I like it. Although Smith wouldn’t get the scholarship “feel-good” in name, it would be a virtual scholarship, with a “real one” down the road.

As much as I love what Smith has done for NU; I’m hopeful there’s a way NU can preserve that scholarship slot for someone else. We have some big shoes to fill next season.
I would not be surprised if a couple-three scholarships are available when the transfer portal opens in basketball.........

Could do Smithand a Big. Not sure if MN is coming back and if he does, how effective he will be. Not sure about Hunger contributions going into next year at either end.

If someone transfers, that opens another spot, but seems most of the players on the team now want a degree from NU.

Could do Smithand a Big. Not sure if MN is coming back and if he does, how effective he will be. Not sure about Hunger contributions going into next year at either end.

If someone transfers, that opens another spot, but seems most of the players on the team now want a degree from NU.

The more defections mean we’ll need proven commodities to replace them. Scholarships spots will be coveted, I don’t see a way one goes to Smith (at least next year). There are creative ways to cover the cost of his tuition though. Would be curious as to how much is being covered currently by financial aid/need based grants. We had a kicker a few years back whose tuition was virtually covered in its in entirety by non-athletic scholarships/need based aid.

Reactions: ballerog711
The more defections mean we’ll need proven commodities to replace them. Scholarships spots will be coveted, I don’t see a way one goes to Smith (at least next year). There are creative ways to cover the cost of his tuition though. Would be curious as to how much is being covered currently by financial aid/need based grants. We had a kicker a few years back whose tuition was virtually covered in its in entirety by non-athletic scholarships/need based aid.
Ridiculous! Stop trolling the board with the narrative that Smith doesn’t deserve a full scholarship.

Give him the scholly and then let him earn NIL money to stay motivated.

We have to stop being tightwads if we want to stay a competitive basketball program.

Priebe is a walk on at Mich?

• Love
Reactions: IGNORE2
if he’s playing 15 minutes a game as a consistent contributor it would be very weird to not give him a scholarship next year. Chris can find a spot in the 13, he’s playing more than Clayton or Mullins right now.

Disagree. He’s earned it, so give it to him. Got to do right by players already in the program.

if he’s playing 15 minutes a game as a consistent contributor it would be very weird to not give him a scholarship next year. Chris can find a spot in the 13, he’s playing more than Clayton or Mullins right now.

At the expense of a highly regarded grad transfer? Don’t see it happening. I’m not disparaging his contributions and certainly think there are creative ways to cover his cost of attendance…just not via on the 13.

Reactions: Max_Power
At the expense of a highly regarded grad transfer? Don’t see it happening. I’m not disparaging his contributions and certainly think there are creative ways to cover his cost of attendance…just not via on the 13.
How about we all agree that we cross that bridge when we get there.

Let’s hit the grad transfer market hard and depending how it shakes out, award Blake a (well-deserved) scholarship either as one of the 13 or some other way.

1. Boo
2. Langborg
3. Preston
4. Berry
5. Nicholson
6. Barnhizer
7. Martinelli
8. Hunger
9. Mullins
10. Clayton
11. Barkley
12. Strauss
13. Open

1. Berry
2. Nicholson
3. Barnhizer
4. Martinelli
5. Hunger
6. Mullins
7. Clayton
8. Barkley
9. Strauss
10. Ciaravino
11. Windham
12. Grad Transfer - PG
13. Grad Transfer - Big

Unless there’s an unexpected transfer from 7, 8, or 9 - I don’t see a path for a scholarship for Smith. Sorry.

How about we all agree that we cross that bridge when we get there.

Let’s hit the grad transfer market hard and depending how it shakes out, award Blake a (well-deserved) scholarship either as one of the 13 or some other way.
Our biggest need is a point guard who can take some of Boo’s minutes. Everything else has to take that into account.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I will be amazed if Smith doesn’t get scholarship. The culture is so important and it’s about supporting each other.

I think some are putting way too much emphasis on the “scholarship”. It’s a new age of college athletics. Keep things the same, give him an NIL stipend, sign another grad transfer and all is well.

I think some are putting way too much emphasis on the “scholarship”. It’s a new age of college athletics. Keep things the same, give him an NIL stipend, sign another grad transfer and all is well.
Are there advantages/disadvantages to the NIL route to cover the cost of a grad transfer instead of Smith?

1. Berry
2. Nicholson
3. Barnhizer
4. Martinelli
5. Hunger
6. Mullins
7. Clayton
8. Barkley
9. Strauss
10. Ciaravino
11. Windham
12. Grad Transfer - PG
13. Grad Transfer - Big

Unless there’s an unexpected transfer from 7, 8, or 9 - I don’t see a path for a scholarship for Smith. Sorry.
Collins typically plays a 7-8 man rotation. Smith will get a scholarship, as in the list above he is # 6 ahead of Mullins.

Really? Who is he taking one away from then? Are we not bringing in two grad transfers?
That’s for Collins to decide. Two grad transfers is not a given, while a transfer out is also a possibility. Smith is in the top six, I don’t see how he doesn’t get a scholarship.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Wouldn't it be great if Smith followed the Hearn path for us? He's a sophomore. iirc, Hearn spent a ton of time before his junior year fixing his three point shot and turning into the hero he became.

Smith with a 34% three, about another 15 pounds of muscle, and this year of experience could be quite a strong piece for next year's team and a leader by his senior year. I'd say find him a full ride. If it's a scholly, that's ideal but get there.

One of the things I see in this team is how much everyone seems strongly bonded to each other, the coaches, and the fans. That's how you keep guys in this age of the portal. And winning, winning always helps.

That’s for Collins to decide. Two grad transfers is not a given, while a transfer out is also a possibility. Smith is in the top six, I don’t see how he doesn’t get a scholarship.

Of course…up to CCC. Will respectfully disagree that two grad transfers is not a given though. An absolute must IMHO.

Priebe didn’t get a full scholarship? What

Word is that he came in as an in-state grad transfer for one semester and received a hefty NIL payment to offset the in-state tuition. Major loophole that is being exploited by the larger state schools. Not what the NCAA intended, but they are helpless to do anything at this time.

Word is that he came in as an in-state grad transfer for one semester and received a hefty NIL payment to offset the in-state tuition. Major loophole that is being exploited by the larger state schools. Not what the NCAA intended, but they are helpless to do anything at this time.
That is such BS.

Terrible idea. Give him a scholarship for his efforts. We need him to develop fulltime.

If Priebe didn’t get a full scholarship plus NIL costs, then he got hosed.
If you don’t have schollie money, no training table and other benefits that are limited to scholarship athletes.

I would not be surprised if a couple-three scholarships are available when the transfer portal opens in basketball.........
One of the freshmen wasn’t on the bench last night. Saw only Straus and barkley.

1. Boo
2. Langborg
3. Preston
4. Berry
5. Nicholson
6. Barnhizer
7. Martinelli
8. Hunger
9. Mullins
10. Clayton
11. Barkley
12. Strauss
13. Open

1. Berry
2. Nicholson
3. Barnhizer
4. Martinelli
5. Hunger
6. Mullins
7. Clayton
8. Barkley
9. Strauss
10. Ciaravino
11. Windham
12. Grad Transfer - PG
13. Grad Transfer - Big

Yes exactly. Collins will look for a grad transfer PG first and foremost and then best available — ideally a big since I’m not sold on Hunger.

But I don’t think you can discount the possibility that someone transfers or doesn’t elect to come back for a fifth year.

In-state tuition is like $17k for UMich for a year…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT