ADVERTISEMENT

Bossi: Kopp will make immediate impact at NU

I think that there is a very good chance that we will be even better next year than we are now! If our top players can stay healthy, the future looks very good for the Cats.

Better next year????? Our two best players graduate and they are head and shoulders better than everyone after Law.

Reactions: willycat
Never count on FR to be better than experienced SRs playing at a high level. NU takes developmental players and hopes they grow into stars. BMac and Lindsey have. Hopefully other players already in the system develop to pickup the slack after three big contributors graduate after this year. If we have to rely heavily on FR, it's going to be a challenge.

I'm hoping for guys like Turner, Gaines, Brown, Ash, Falzon, Benson, and Rapolas to really develop between now and the start of next season. I think this would be a safer bet for maintaining consistent high play than counting on incoming FR to be standouts. If one of the four incoming FR are legitimate B1G starters, that would be remarkable and unexpected. More than one, then CCC and staff struck gold.

Never count on FR to be better than experienced SRs playing at a high level. NU takes developmental players and hopes they grow into stars. BMac and Lindsey have. Hopefully other players already in the system develop to pickup the slack after three big contributors graduate after this year. If we have to rely heavily on FR, it's going to be a challenge.

I'm hoping for guys like Turner, Gaines, Brown, Ash, Falzon, Benson, and Rapolas to really develop between now and the start of next season. I think this would be a safer bet for maintaining consistent high play than counting on incoming FR to be standouts. If one of the four incoming FR are legitimate B1G starters, that would be remarkable and unexpected. More than one, then CCC and staff struck gold.
I think Collins can coach then up on the D but NU needs help In the backcourt and the freshman will have to provide it.

Reactions: benoitdenizetl
I think Collins can coach then up on the D but NU needs help In the backcourt and the freshman will have to provide it.
It seems weird to be talking about next year already but I will be interested to see if Law's role changes dramatically when he is the oldest, most experienced player. He is a very versatile player and will be with a very different supporting cast compared to the rest of his career.

Our last 2 four stars havent lived up to expectations. Rap is sluggish and still extremely uncomfortable.

So...as long as we are talking about next year.....who will replace BMAC.....He is really the only dribble, penetrate guy on the team

There were reports that Turner has already shown he's a player. He played the most minutes last year on his former team. So that's one claim to 35 of the 95 minutes Skelly, Law and BMac leave behind.

Lathon will be handed the point guard duties and he will be surrounded on the court by program guys who know the system. He'll play it different than B Mac...not better or worse....different. That's another 30 minutes per game.

Falzon and Benson will both pick up more minutes.

Kopp and Nance will fight veterans for minutes but I doubt CCC will want too many freshman on the floor.

NU is really going to need the outside threat from Falzon and Kopp to replace Scottie.

It's hard to imagine a team without B Mac and Lindsey being better than a team with both. It's going to look very different. Can next year's team finish top 6 in the Big Ten might be a better question.

There were reports that Turner has already shown he's a player. He played the most minutes last year on his former team. So that's one claim to 35 of the 95 minutes Skelly, Law and BMac leave behind.

Lathon will be handed the point guard duties and he will be surrounded on the court by program guys who know the system. He'll play it different than B Mac...not better or worse....different. That's another 30 minutes per game.

Falzon and Benson will both pick up more minutes.

Kopp and Nance will fight veterans for minutes but I doubt CCC will want too many freshman on the floor.

NU is really going to need the outside threat from Falzon and Kopp to replace Scottie.

It's hard to imagine a team without B Mac and Lindsey being better than a team with both. It's going to look very different. Can next year's team finish top 6 in the Big Ten might be a better question.
Who do you think starts at the other guard and who's the 3rd guard? Law?

Who do you think starts at the other guard and who's the 3rd guard? Law?

Willy, the honest answer is I don't know.

I've been watching Law handle the ball in these first few games and he looks ok, but not guard-like.

AJ Turner led the ACC in assist to turnover ratio.

It could be Pardon, Law, Falzon, Turner and Lathon to start the year.

I just don't see CCC starting two frosh and Lathon has to start.

Willy, the honest answer is I don't know.

I've been watching Law handle the ball in these first few games and he looks ok, but not guard-like.

AJ Turner led the ACC in assist to turnover ratio.

It could be Pardon, Law, Falzon, Turner and Lathon to start the year.

I just don't see CCC starting two frosh and Lathon has to start.

On paper, it'll be a very balanced roster next year:

LG (1): Lathon, Brown, Ash
Wings (2,3): Law, Turner, Gaines, Kopp
PF (4): Falzon, Nance, Ivanauskas
C (5): Pardon, Benson, Young

However, what looks good on paper still has a ton of question marks and concern areas given what we've seen so far this season:

1. Brown and Ash are not showing yet an ability to run the offense and lead the team. This means if Lathon is not ready from day 1, major problem for the team.

2. Gaines needs to develop his game beyond driving the lane in order to work effectively in this system. Turner is an unknown on ballhandling and ability to operate in the offense. So, one wing is a major ?

3. Falzon still working on getting into form and needs to improve his defense. Rap and Nance still unknowns with early signs for Rap a bit concerning.

4. Can Benson develop his game to provide a real 1-2 punch at the 5? Needs to continue to develop his quickness and toughness.

So, next season is a big mystery at this point. Frankly, so is this season. Some players really need to step up and they need to figure out the D in order to compete in the B1G. Big week for this team to see what they have and where they are at.

Reactions: JournCat
Rivals national recruiting analyst Eric Bossi had some words of praise for Northwestern 2018 signee Miller Kopp.

Kopp will make immediate impact at NU, says Bossi

A little more love for Kopp from Bossi:

The Hoopfest was the second event I was able to watch Northwestern-bound Miller Kopp play in during November and I left more convinced than ever that he's got real star potential in Evanston. He shoots, he has an off the charts feel for the game and he's plain mean and nasty on the floor. It's a safe bet he finishes higher in the 2018 rankings than his current ranking at No. 98 overall.

Link: All-Thanksgiving Hoopfest Team

The Hoopfest was the second event I was able to watch Northwestern-bound Miller Kopp play in during November and I left more convinced than ever that he's got real star potential in Evanston. He shoots, he has an off the charts feel for the game and he's plain mean and nasty on the floor. It's a safe bet he finishes higher in the 2018 rankings than his current ranking at No. 98 overall.

Do you think he could handle the 2 spot?

Do you think he could handle the 2 spot?

As I reported a while ago in a story, Collins sees Kopp replacing Lindsey. So Collins thinks he can handle the 2.

Reactions: ubercat
As I reported a while ago in a story, Collins sees Kopp replacing Lindsey. So Collins thinks he can handle the 2.

In the system that Collins deploys, is there even a 2 in the traditional sense? I believe like Brad Stevens of the Celtics, he uses an interchangeable set of wings in addition to a lead guard and a big.

In the system that Collins deploys, is there even a 2 in the traditional sense? I believe like Brad Stevens of the Celtics, he uses an interchangeable set of wings in addition to a lead guard and a big.

Yep. I think the message Collins was sending is that he sees Kopp replacing Lindsey and playing with Law as a wing NEXT YEAR. When Lindsey graduates, he expects Kopp to come in and take the starting job.

Reactions: ubercat
Yep. I think the message Collins was sending is that he sees Kopp replacing Lindsey and playing with Law as a wing NEXT YEAR. When Lindsey graduates, he expects Kopp to come in and take the starting job.

Just my opinion, but I think Kopp will have a tough time beating out Turner, at least in the early days. Agree with a prior post that

Lathon
Turner
Law
Falzon
Pardon

is the most likely starting 5. With Kopp or Gaines first off the bench.

Just my opinion, but I think Kopp will have a tough time beating out Turner, at least in the early days. Agree with a prior post that

Lathon
Turner
Law
Falzon
Pardon

is the most likely starting 5. With Kopp or Gaines first off the bench.

Thoughts on Turner gettknh some minutes at the point? I think Lathon is our only true PG on the roster next year. For better or worse, I don’t think Brown is a PG. Hoping someone else can play the point. Maybe Turner can take some minutes there???

Thoughts on Turner gettknh some minutes at the point? I think Lathon is our only true PG on the roster next year. For better or worse, I don’t think Brown is a PG. Hoping someone else can play the point. Maybe Turner can take some minutes there???
Based on video I was able to find on him at BC, I wouldn't think so. He is much more of a Wing than a LG. Good shooter with length and some athleticism (not as much as Law), but didn't see the ballhandling skills to play LG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT