ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Joseph enters the portal…

I would be absolutely floored if Skoronski ever hit the portal. He could’ve gone wherever he wanted when he picked NU and he didn’t pick NU for exclusively on-field reasons.

In fact, I think it more likely that he would come back for another season at NU rather than leaving for the NFL after three years.
I doubt he leaves either. Seems like a kid who values the NU degree.

The biggest thing about the BJo transfer is that he left without his degree. That's a shame.

I don't begrudge anyone from transferring for whatever reason as long as they got their degree.

Now if BJo transfer to Stanford, Duke, Vandy or any of the Ivy's, then that's a different story.

Per InsideNU. Disaster. A terrible defense gets worse & one of our best remaining weapons on that side of the ball evidently doesn’t expect much to improve in Evanston. 2021 an absolutely brutal year for the program after Jan 1 bowl win.

Not a big deal IMO. He thinks he’s a first rounder. He’s not . More like a FA at best. He had a shit year. Missed more tackles than made. It happens. Move on. Sky is not falling. Don’t be fooled by 2020 season. Happens at every school.

Our fans will say its all Fitz’s fault. A loss yes, a big loss…no… no different than and a 2nd team all big ten guy graduating.

Last edited:
It’s poor optics.
I agree what does it say about the team and Jon at D-Cordinator. Also, if I think back to Skowronek, NU has had a few captains transfer. I think that is telling at how frustrating Northwestern can be to play for at times. The offense has been anemic for a while and the Defense fell apart in 2021.

This thread is purely conjecture and opinion:

Brandon Joseph had an IG story yesterday about being at Exos fitness which is a high end performance for elite athletes. I assume he did performance testing recently and it wasn't good enough to be in the first 4 rounds based on the measurables and college tape and the analysts they have there. Otherwise, he would have declared for the NFL draft. I had a bad feeling yesterday when I saw the IG story. I think B Jo always was going to go pro after this season and the bad year did him in like a la Paddy Fisher a couple years ago. His next best option is to transfer. His rush defense and tackling were putrid last year based on the PFF grades (38.1 and 51.7 respectively). He's one of the best on our team but needs work in the weight room and needs to learn to tackle better. He took advantage of great linebacking play last year and he was able to get some lucky interceptions because of tips and overthrowing the LBs downfield help him pick off the QB. That Ohio State INT was amazing and that's on him and that's a freakish athletic play.

We're really thin at safety. I think we need a transfer in and maybe someone like G. Hollis moves over to safety. He's rangy and long like B Jo and fits the profile.

Best of luck to B Jo. Hope he has a fruitful season elsewhere and not in the Big Ten.
There would ubdoubedly be a scouting and film evaluation component as well. I agree with you that it is EXTREMELY likely he’s working with serious scouts and representation to prepare his NFL future and that A> his poor last season hurt their assessment of his draft stock considerably and B> this is playing a part in his decision to leave to rebuild his stock (whether that’s because he wants a different scheme fit, is looking for different coaching development, wants a different color jersey, or something else, is an open question.

I also think it’s worth noting that he has his NIL business contact info right there in his Twitter bio and he was one of our quick adopters with a fast NIL deal. If he’s particularly serious about the business of B Jo, whether that be his NFL future or his NIL paycheck tomorrow (and, to be clear, he’s RIGHT to make #1 the #1 and be serious about the business of B Jo)… well that would be a bearish data point on the early impacts of NIL on NU.

Not a big deal IMO. He thinks he’s a first rounder. He’s not . More like a FA at best. He had a shit year. Missed more tackles than made. It happens. Move on. Sky is not falling. Don’t be fooled by 2020 season. Happens at every school.

Our fans will say its all Fitz’s fault. A loss yes, a big loss…no… no different than and a 2nd tam all big ten guy graduating.
Pretty harsh but actually fair analysis. The takeaway for me is that put into the right defense (ie. Hankwitz) BJo is All American good. Put him in a sh1t defense (ie. JON) he is below average.

Pretty harsh but actually fair analysis. The takeaway for me is that put into the right defense (ie. Hankwitz) BJo is All American good. Put him in a sh1t defense (ie. JON) he is below average.

the other way to put it is if you put him in a defense that protects him, asks him to mainly do one thing and surround him with a lot of other good players who are leaders, he played well. Put him in a scheme/situation Where he was asked to step up and become a complete safety, become a leader and be the player others look up to, he fell short at least initially. He certainly has time to get better and I am confident he will/would have had he stayed at NU but the reality is that his draft stock fell because he fell short as a player when he was asked to step up. That has little to do with the scheme and much more to do with Brandon Joseph and the NFL scouts know that.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Joseph announced his intention to transfer one day after the NFL Draft Advisory Board sent out its recommendations to underclassmen who had inquired about their draft status. My guess is that Joseph was told he had a lot to work on as a football player in order to be considered a viable NFL prospect.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Joseph announced his intention to transfer one day after the NFL Draft Advisory Board sent out its recommendations to underclassmen who had inquired about their draft status. My guess is that Joseph was told he had a lot to work on as a football player in order to be considered a viable NFL prospect.
And he no longer trusts our coaches to get him there, which is sad.

And he no longer trusts our coaches to get him there, which is sad.
Sure, the same position coach who helped him develop into a freshman All American in the first place. Joseph should be pointing thumbs, not fingers. As bad as our DC was this year, coaches don’t miss tackles, players do. No NFL team is going to draft a safety who showed so little aptitude and willingness to tackle as Joseph demonstrated this year on the field. No DC or football program will change that. Brandon Joseph is the only person that can change that perception. I sincerely hope he is able to do that.

It wouldn't surprise me if Randy Bates pulls Brandon over to Pitt. Sadly, that would mean that Pitt has a defensive player and a defensive coordinator who should both be in Evanston.
Why? Bates has no connection to Joseph. Bates was long gone by the time Joseph arrived in Evanston.

I know they didn't overlap. Bates is a DC who know what $%@% he's doing, so my assumption is that he will contact Brandon.
Sure but I see no reason why Joseph would have interest in going there. My guess is he is more likely to go back home to play in Texas or maybe somewhere like ND if they end up showing interest.

by the way, PItt gave up 31 points last night in a loss to a Michigan State team that was playing without their All American RB. Nothing to brag about when it comes to defensive play.

There would ubdoubedly be a scouting and film evaluation component as well. I agree with you that it is EXTREMELY likely he’s working with serious scouts and representation to prepare his NFL future and that A> his poor last season hurt their assessment of his draft stock considerably and B> this is playing a part in his decision to leave to rebuild his stock (whether that’s because he wants a different scheme fit, is looking for different coaching development, wants a different color jersey, or something else, is an open question.

I also think it’s worth noting that he has his NIL business contact info right there in his Twitter bio and he was one of our quick adopters with a fast NIL deal. If he’s particularly serious about the business of B Jo, whether that be his NFL future or his NIL paycheck tomorrow (and, to be clear, he’s RIGHT to make #1 the #1 and be serious about the business of B Jo)… well that would be a bearish data point on the early impacts of NIL on NU.
So you state the reason for his departure is unknown, but then speculate it may be for NIL purposes which would be a bearish data point for NU.

That’s a bridge too far for me.

Then why don't you go off and post on or start another site that nobody will care to follow? The British Kitchens board could use some new threads. There you can make up BS to your heart's content.
Run off content, turn the board into a homer board supporting a loser program and see how long it lasts. Scout…

Reactions: Ryanfield124
What are you talking about??
Turk and I have both been in timeout. The homer group gets free reign around here. So be careful, don’t push too hard against the golden posters - no matter what they say. Or you will be in timeout too.

Glad you cancelled Turk.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Best of luck to Brandon. Amazing player and one that I imagine (given good health) will be playing on Sundays not too long from now. Completely understand the decision. Try to find a program with a competent DC that can showcase your sizeable athletic gifts.

Jim O’Neil; the coaching hire that keeps on giving…
Let’s go Brandon!

Guys! I’m a former disenfranchised northwestern athlete too! I started as a true freshman at Northwestern and took fifth out of 31 college teams at the University of Illinois Open in 1981! I even pulled a 3.3 GPA during the wrestling season.

I spent the spring depressed and wanted to transfer for a few years!
I ended up getting beat out my junior and senior years but my eyes, like Herman Hesse’ Magic Theatre, in Steppenwolf book were opened to the beauty and creativity of the beautiful Evanston Campus and amazing student body and staff!
Which, in my opinion are second to none!
We want players to enjoy the campus and be students first!
Coincidently, Rich Raffin , Northwestern Football 🏈 captain was a good friend and roommate of mine. He had knee surgery and his career was done as a sophomore but he was an elite engineering student and great guy!
We simply had a blast at NU, without even having one bad day for my last two years at NU!
Don’t ever forget what a beautiful place Northwestern is and what it truly stands for!
I just turned 60 last month and hope to contend for top 100 in the world in tennis 🎾! Shortly after NU, I had both shoulders torn and surgically repaired! I’m a beast! A monster 👺 and proud NU grad!

I read all of Hesse’s works while at NU! Here is the plot! Basically Harry Haller, like all men, need to embrace their feminine psyches to fully embrace life! Hesse won the Noble Prize for literature too!

book is presented as a manuscript written by its protagonist, a middle-aged man named Harry Haller, who leaves it to a chance acquaintance, the nephew of his landlady. The acquaintance adds a short preface of his own and then has the manuscript published. The title of this "real" book-in-the-book is Harry Haller's Records (For Madmen Only).

As the story begins, the hero is beset by reflections on his being ill-suited for the world of everyday, regular people, specifically for frivolous bourgeois society. In his aimless wanderings about the city he encounters a person carrying an advertisement for a magic theatre who gives him a small book, Treatise on the Steppenwolf. This treatise, cited in full in the novel's text as Harry reads it, addresses Harry by name and strikes him as describing himself uncannily. It is a discourse on a man who believes himself to be of two natures: one high, the spiritual nature of man; the other is low and animalistic, a "wolf of the steppes". This man is entangled in an irresolvable struggle, never content with either nature because he cannot see beyond this self-made concept. The pamphlet gives an explanation of the multifaceted and indefinable nature of every man's soul, but Harry is either unable or unwilling to recognize this. It also discusses his suicidal intentions, describing him as one of the "suicides": people who, deep down, knew they would take their own life one day. But to counter that, it hails his potential to be great, to be one of the "Immortals".

By chance, Harry encounters the man who gave him the book, just as they have both attended a funeral. He inquires about the magic theater, to which the man replies, "Not for everybody." When Harry presses further for information, the man recommends a local dance hall, much to Harry's disappointment.

When returning from the funeral, Harry meets a former academic friend with whom he had often discussed Oriental mythology, and who invites Harry to his home. While there, Harry is disgusted by the nationalistic mentality of his friend, who inadvertently criticizes a column Harry wrote. In turn, Harry offends the man and his wife by criticizing the wife's bust of Goethe, which Harry feels is too thickly sentimental and insulting to Goethe's true brilliance. This episode confirms to Harry that he is, and will always be, a stranger to his society.

Trying to postpone returning home, where he fears all that awaits him is his own suicide, Harry walks aimlessly around the town for most of the night, finally stopping to rest at the dance hall where the man had sent him earlier. He happens upon a young woman, Hermine, who quickly recognizes his desperation. They talk at length; Hermine alternately mocks Harry's self-pity and indulges him in his explanations regarding his view of life, to his astonished relief. Hermine promises a second meeting, and provides Harry with a reason to live (or at least a substantial excuse to continue living) that he eagerly embraces.

During the next few weeks, Hermine introduces Harry to the indulgences of what he calls the "bourgeois". She teaches Harry to dance, introduces him to casual drug use, finds him a lover (Maria) and, more importantly, forces him to accept these as legitimate and worthy aspects of a full life.

Hermine also introduces Harry to a mysterious saxophonist named Pablo, who appears to be the very opposite of what Harry considers a serious, thoughtful man. After attending a lavish masquerade ball, Pablo brings Harry to his metaphorical "magic theatre", where the concerns and notions that plagued his soul disintegrate as he interacts with the ethereal and phantasmal. The Magic Theatre is a place where he experiences the fantasies that exist in his mind. The Theater is described as a long horseshoe-shaped corridor with a mirror on one side and a great number of doors on the other. Harry enters five of these labeled doors, each of which symbolizes a fraction of his life.

Sure but I see no reason why Joseph would have interest in going there. My guess is he is more likely to go back home to play in Texas or maybe somewhere like ND if they end up showing interest.

by the way, PItt gave up 31 points last night in a loss to a Michigan State team that was playing without their All American RB. Nothing to brag about when it comes to defensive play.
I'm sure he will thrive at Texas State. Ignore my original comment.

I read all of Hesse’s works while at NU! Here is the plot! Basically Harry Haller, like all men, need to embrace their feminine psyches to fully embrace life! Hesse won the Noble Prize for literature too!

book is presented as a manuscript written by its protagonist, a middle-aged man named Harry Haller, who leaves it to a chance acquaintance, the nephew of his landlady. The acquaintance adds a short preface of his own and then has the manuscript published. The title of this "real" book-in-the-book is Harry Haller's Records (For Madmen Only).

As the story begins, the hero is beset by reflections on his being ill-suited for the world of everyday, regular people, specifically for frivolous bourgeois society. In his aimless wanderings about the city he encounters a person carrying an advertisement for a magic theatre who gives him a small book, Treatise on the Steppenwolf. This treatise, cited in full in the novel's text as Harry reads it, addresses Harry by name and strikes him as describing himself uncannily. It is a discourse on a man who believes himself to be of two natures: one high, the spiritual nature of man; the other is low and animalistic, a "wolf of the steppes". This man is entangled in an irresolvable struggle, never content with either nature because he cannot see beyond this self-made concept. The pamphlet gives an explanation of the multifaceted and indefinable nature of every man's soul, but Harry is either unable or unwilling to recognize this. It also discusses his suicidal intentions, describing him as one of the "suicides": people who, deep down, knew they would take their own life one day. But to counter that, it hails his potential to be great, to be one of the "Immortals".

By chance, Harry encounters the man who gave him the book, just as they have both attended a funeral. He inquires about the magic theater, to which the man replies, "Not for everybody." When Harry presses further for information, the man recommends a local dance hall, much to Harry's disappointment.

When returning from the funeral, Harry meets a former academic friend with whom he had often discussed Oriental mythology, and who invites Harry to his home. While there, Harry is disgusted by the nationalistic mentality of his friend, who inadvertently criticizes a column Harry wrote. In turn, Harry offends the man and his wife by criticizing the wife's bust of Goethe, which Harry feels is too thickly sentimental and insulting to Goethe's true brilliance. This episode confirms to Harry that he is, and will always be, a stranger to his society.

Trying to postpone returning home, where he fears all that awaits him is his own suicide, Harry walks aimlessly around the town for most of the night, finally stopping to rest at the dance hall where the man had sent him earlier. He happens upon a young woman, Hermine, who quickly recognizes his desperation. They talk at length; Hermine alternately mocks Harry's self-pity and indulges him in his explanations regarding his view of life, to his astonished relief. Hermine promises a second meeting, and provides Harry with a reason to live (or at least a substantial excuse to continue living) that he eagerly embraces.

During the next few weeks, Hermine introduces Harry to the indulgences of what he calls the "bourgeois". She teaches Harry to dance, introduces him to casual drug use, finds him a lover (Maria) and, more importantly, forces him to accept these as legitimate and worthy aspects of a full life.

Hermine also introduces Harry to a mysterious saxophonist named Pablo, who appears to be the very opposite of what Harry considers a serious, thoughtful man. After attending a lavish masquerade ball, Pablo brings Harry to his metaphorical "magic theatre", where the concerns and notions that plagued his soul disintegrate as he interacts with the ethereal and phantasmal. The Magic Theatre is a place where he experiences the fantasies that exist in his mind. The Theater is described as a long horseshoe-shaped corridor with a mirror on one side and a great number of doors on the other. Harry enters five of these labeled doors, each of which symbolizes a fraction of his life.

Wrassler, like Hesse, is a writer!

Reactions: NUCat320

Corbi, don’t let facts get in the way. MSU scored 31 but one TD was a pick 6. Pitt defense also had a scoop and score. Their defense balled all night but just ran out of gas. Sound familIar? Pitt was on 3rd string QB and the didn’t not score a 2nd half point (punted on 4 straight possessions). I was extremely impressed with pitt defense. The one area they could use help is the secondary.

Corbi, don’t let facts get in the way. MSU scored 31 but one TD was a pick 6. Pitt defense also had a scoop and score. Their defense balled all night but just ran out of gas. Sound familIar? Pitt was on 3rd string QB and the didn’t not score a 2nd half point (punted on 4 straight possessions). I was extremely impressed with pitt defense. The one area they could use help is the secondary.

I"ll take your word for it because I didn't watch the whole game yesterday. I have watched Pitt play several times this year and love the talent on the team. Very talented on both sides of the ball with several NFL caliber prospects every year. Given that, I am surprised at how many points their defense seems to give up including last night. Notwithstanding the details you provided, the defense failed to hold a comfortable second half lead against a MSU team that was missing by far their most talented offensive weapon. Considering that NU fielded the worst defense I have seen in a long time and gave up 38 points to this same MSU team with their All American RB, I still would not consider Randy Bates' performance last night to be anything to brag about.

Last edited:
Then why don't you go off and post on or start another site that nobody will care to follow? The British Kitchens board could use some new threads. There you can make up BS to your heart's content.
Sounds familiar. He tried that already several years ago and the crickets drove him flat earth crazy.

This thread is purely conjecture and opinion:

Brandon Joseph had an IG story yesterday about being at Exos fitness which is a high end performance for elite athletes. I assume he did performance testing recently and it wasn't good enough to be in the first 4 rounds based on the measurables and college tape and the analysts they have there. Otherwise, he would have declared for the NFL draft. I had a bad feeling yesterday when I saw the IG story. I think B Jo always was going to go pro after this season and the bad year did him in like a la Paddy Fisher a couple years ago. His next best option is to transfer. His rush defense and tackling were putrid last year based on the PFF grades (38.1 and 51.7 respectively). He's one of the best on our team but needs work in the weight room and needs to learn to tackle better. He took advantage of great linebacking play last year and he was able to get some lucky interceptions because of tips and overthrowing the LBs downfield help him pick off the QB. That Ohio State INT was amazing and that's on him and that's a freakish athletic play.

We're really thin at safety. I think we need a transfer in and maybe someone like G. Hollis moves over to safety. He's rangy and long like B Jo and fits the profile.

Best of luck to B Jo. Hope he has a fruitful season elsewhere and not in the Big Ten.
NU is thin in a lot of spots, QB for instance and that includes the coaching staff.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I'm about through with major-college football and the continual online streams of negativity from multiple fan bases. Things that used to be fun just aren't as much fun any more.
My sentiments exactly. Between the transfer portal, meaningless verbal commitments, NILs, and toxic anonymous fan message boards, none of this is fun anymore.

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
Yeah I thought the Pitt D played very well too and really battled, was impressed. 3 sacks and 2 turnovers, including a DTD. If they had an average offense they would have won that game - not criticizing their O so much as their hands were a bit tied being down to the 3rd string QB, not anyone's fault just a fact of the game.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Run off content, turn the board into a homer board supporting a loser program and see how long it lasts. Scout…

Last time we did that (and it was so much fun), Turk came crawling back to the Homer board because nobody liked his "content" on Scout. Then nobody liked his crapola on Facebook, either except the sycophants. All that make-believe and BS to try to hurt the program and others out of some twisted need for attention.

Turk is afraid of Fitz, Fitz knows that, and it drives Turk to do acts of mental illness.

Turk needs help. Covid and JON have made him even worse.

Bring back Colby!

Our fans will say its all Fitz’s fault. A loss yes, a big loss…no… no different than and a 2nd team all big ten guy graduating.
Many analysts had Joseph as a Day 2 pick if he were to declare.

Now the feedback he received may line up more with your take than the draft community and there are definitely areas in his game he needs to improve upon (applies to all collegiate players), but “FA” at best? C’mon that’s just hyperbole/sour grapes.

Joseph’s production and ball skills are enough that someone would grab him on Day 3. Safety is a commodity that is still generally undervalued in the pros. A forward thinking team like Baltimore, Cleveland or the Chargers would have snatched up BJo in the late rounds.

This is no small loss. Can the ‘Cats overcome it? Sure; it’s hard to imagine the defense being any worse than 2021, but you need someone like Joseph to compete with the big boys of the conference…and that’s where the program strives to be.

Last edited:
O'Neil was hired to tweak an already good defense when Hankwitz retired. Instead he installed a new system that was 70% new according to his own words. So he tried to fix something that wasn't broken, and proceeded to field the worst defense since the Dark Ages. Whatever happened to 1) players 2) formations 3) plays? Start with your All American safety, put him in the formations where he can be impactful, and call the right plays. Joseph was set up to fail in JON's defense.

Many analysts had Joseph as a Day 2 pick if he were to declare.

Now the feedback he received may line up more with your take than the draft community and there are definitely areas in his game he needs to improve upon (applies to all collegiate players), but “FA” at best? C’mon that’s just hyperbole/sour grapes.

Joseph’s production and ball skills are enough that someone would grab him on Day 3. Safety is a commodity that is still generally undervalued in the pros. A forward thinking team like Baltimore, Cleveland or the Chargers would have snatched up BJo in the late rounds.

This is no small loss. Can the ‘Cats overcome it? Sure; it’s hard to imagine the defense being any worse than 2021, but you need someone like Joseph to compete with the big boys of the conference…and that’s where the program strives to be.
That's my sense of it. You're already in a hole, why dig it deeper?

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Last time we did that (and it was so much fun), Turk came crawling back to the Homer board because nobody liked his "content" on Scout. Then nobody liked his crapola on Facebook, either except the sycophants. All that make-believe and BS to try to hurt the program and others out of some twisted need for attention.

Turk is afraid of Fitz, Fitz knows that, and it drives Turk to do acts of mental illness.

Turk needs help. Covid and JON have made him even worse.

Bring back Colby!
I wasn’t proposing scout, I was pointing to scout as an example. And it’s also why there are no alternatives. Super small fan base shrinking daily means no chance to support multiple fan boards. But run enough vocal contributors combined with crappy teams and this place will become a ghost town. Maybe you all don’t agree, maybe you all don’t care — but if it happens, the dying posts will be vitriol pointed at me cuz I called it and it supposedly brought me joy. But even then, no anger will be directed to the staff or those around here that took no steps to change even our direction.

Anybody lament old coach Roy? I don’t. He plotted his own destiny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT