ADVERTISEMENT

Braun’s future

Baz=Heisman

Feb 11, 2023
He has to admit his mistake and fire Lujan. It’s clear he’s not ready for prime time. But regardless of what happens… he gets next year due to the magical 2023 season. However, if he struggles again next year he’s getting fired before the new stadium. His buyout is $100,000 and we can lure a good coach now with our facilities.

Hiring Braun was incredibly short sighted, but I just don’t think anyone could work enough magic to take this program anywhere besides the bottom 1/3rd of the B1G

He has to admit his mistake and fire Lujan. It’s clear he’s not ready for prime time. But regardless of what happens… he gets next year due to the magical 2023 season. However, if he struggles again next year he’s getting fired before the new stadium. His buyout is $100,000 and we can lure a good coach now with our facilities.
You still think ANYBODY cares about facilities? You’re living in 1999. Players get paid actual money, coaches get tens of millions. A start if the art stadium that isn’t even filled with home fans is a tertiary factor. A decent practice facility is just table stakes. These guys aren’t here to play school, go get some damn ATHLETES.

You still think ANYBODY cares about facilities? You’re living in 1999. Players get paid actual money, coaches get tens of millions. A start if the art stadium that isn’t even filled with home fans is a tertiary factor. A decent practice facility is just table stakes. These guys aren’t here to play school, go get some damn ATHLETES.
He meant luring a coach with facilities, not kids. The stadium being ready in 2 years will be helpful for a new coach and it’s got to be a $800 million symbol that NU will invest in keeping the program competitive in the B1G.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
He meant luring a coach with facilities, not kids. The stadium being ready in 2 years will be helpful for a new coach and it’s got to be a $800 million symbol that NU will invest in keeping the program competitive in the B1G.
So the adult who is an expert in the industry is going to be star struck by the facilities when the 17 year olds aren’t?

I know exactly what he meant. It’s a dumb take. We need to stop pretending anybody cares about this stuff any more. The only message our facilities send is “we won’t voluntarily drop this sport.” If that’s your top line message it’s a BAD JOB.

Go watch pro sports exclusively if you don’t want to watch student-athletes. This shit is so tiring. Let’s maintain the college experience and have some standards.

Reactions: catswin94
It's a bit of a lost season, but I don't think we need to panic.

Pretty clear though that we're not consistently competitive right now.

Watching top 25 Vanderbilt compete with Texas right now. They still have actual academic standards in that they won’t let in any player who meets bare minimum qualifications, but their standards are lower than NU’s.

Sure hasn’t ruined THEIR academic reputation
LOL dude, you’re a clown. We have a WAY better recent history than Vandy. Kudos to them for this season but give me a break.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
So the adult who is an expert in the industry is going to be star struck by the facilities when the 17 year olds aren’t?

I know exactly what he meant. It’s a dumb take. We need to stop pretending anybody cares about this stuff any more. The only message our facilities send is “we won’t voluntarily drop this sport.” If that’s your top line message it’s a BAD JOB.
I just said that the $800MM stadium is a symbol of support and investment, not that a coach will think it looks cool.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Because he sucks. I don’t get the cult like following about him. 2019-2022 were horrid (minus 2020).
Have you seen the clip of him hugging Sullivan after the game? Beaming with pride. Reminded me of when I spoke with Barnett in 2000 at a CU Boosters luncheon the Friday after NU beat Wisconsin in Madison in 2OT. I barely had introduced myself as a NU alum and his eyes widened and he said, “Did you SEE that game on Saturday?!” and went on about how all his recruits had played.

Reactions: stpaulcat
Go watch pro sports exclusively if you don’t want to watch student-athletes. This shit is so tiring. Let’s maintain the college experience and have some standards.
Get real!!!!!!!! Money trumps everything else in America. It is a huge source of revenue for the big universities. The money also usually brings in a lot of income to the local economies, so those people get involved as well. Seriously now, the top recruits don't give a shit about academic standards as they know what they are there for and that is to win football games and hopefully learn the trade to be ready for the next level. The players at all the top Division 1A schools rarely go to class, they have tutors. The schools let standards slide to keep players eligible or to sign recruits. This practice has been going on before I was born (1970). Hell for the 1980 Rose Bowl, the professors gave all of the USC players As on their finals, as the were playing OSU in the Rose Bowl for the natty( I was there). You want to keep high academic standards, become a fellow fan of a team in the Pioneer League in the FCS division. No athletic scholarships, true student athletes. And guess what, it is competitive and the play is just a good. I attended Univ of Dayton, which is in the Pioneer League for grad school. The football was just as entertaining as in the B1G or MAC. If you want to be competitive in the B1G you better get with the program, with the portal, NIL, and the fact that the other universities ignore academic standards when big money is involved. Doing the same thing and going forward in the B1G is akin to going into a boxing match with one arm tied behind your back. NU had Fitz and the new practice facility and recruiting didn't really get any better did it? Times have changed my friend, and I am not all that enthused about it, but it is reality. The NU football program will never challenge for a B1G title or even make a bowl game with the new expanded, more competitive environment if it doesn't bend the rules so to say.

Last edited:
LOL dude, you’re a clown. We have a WAY better recent history than Vandy. Kudos to them for this season but give me a break.
Things change, and rapidly as well. The fact that we had to replace Fitz with a FCS coach is a bit telling about how coveted the HC position is if Braun doesn't pan out. I hope the NU administration is willing to pay big bucks to the next HC if Braun is dumped.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
Things change, and rapidly as well. The fact that we had to replace Fitz with a FCS coach is a bit telling about how coveted the HC position is if Braun doesn't pan out. I hope the NU administration is willing to pay big bucks to the next HC if Braun is dumped.
Relax. We will. I have it on good authority that if Braun struggles next year he’s out and we will have big $ to spend on a HC.

Relax. We will. I have it on good authority that if Braun struggles next year he’s out and we will have big $ to spend on a HC.
Will we have some money to spend on players and an attendance process that allows transfers and recruits to be admitted in a timely fashion? Without some of that any coach will continue to be behind on talent from the jump every year. We won’t rearrange coaching deck chairs out of this, not consistently.

Reactions: gocatsgo2003
I hope you are right bud. Too much has been invested into the program for it to fail at this point. Our next HC needs to be in the mold of Barnett or my uncle. Guys that could turn programs around and keep it clean for the most part. The main reason I like NU is that they kept their high standards, but it seems the game might force them to lower them. I hope that isn't going to happen. The only real draw to get some really good recruits is to get a HC with a great rep that the kids would want to play for him since he knows how to win. Our current HC and OC are out to lunch. I highly doubt that things will get better under this regime. It will be interesting to see how many recruits bail after the season if we end up with 7-9 losses.

At the very least there have to be some very tough conversations with Lujan this offseason (if not sooner). The personnel isn’t there, but the scheme and playcalling aren’t doing anyone any favors either.

Ask Pat Ryan Sr to cut a large check to TrueNU. I don’t think he wants to do it, prefers monuments with his name on them even if filled with subpar rosters.

Reactions: phatcat
Watching top 25 Vanderbilt compete with Texas right now. They still have actual academic standards in that they won’t let in any player who meets bare minimum qualifications, but their standards are lower than NU’s.

Sure hasn’t ruined THEIR academic reputation

No they don’t.

Have you seen the clip of him hugging Sullivan after the game? Beaming with pride. Reminded me of when I spoke with Barnett in 2000 at a CU Boosters luncheon the Friday after NU beat Wisconsin in Madison in 2OT. I barely had introduced myself as a NU alum and his eyes widened and he said, “Did you SEE that game on Saturday?!” and went on about how all his recruits had played.

A coach being happy for one of his players after both went through a very tough time? The horror!

I hope you are right bud. Too much has been invested into the program for it to fail at this point. Our next HC needs to be in the mold of Barnett or my uncle. Guys that could turn programs around and keep it clean for the most part. The main reason I like NU is that they kept their high standards, but it seems the game might force them to lower them. I hope that isn't going to happen. The only real draw to get some really good recruits is to get a HC with a great rep that the kids would want to play for him since he knows how to win. Our current HC and OC are out to lunch. I highly doubt that things will get better under this regime. It will be interesting to see how many recruits bail after the season if we end up with 7-9 losses.

That investment has mostly been one guy, who hasn’t expressed any interest to date about getting on board with NIL in a meaningful way.

Suspect Purdue attempts to follow IUs recepie for instant relevance. Intrastate rivalry will demand it. We will be the lone school sticking to the ''right way" Our hole will get deeper and pressure to leave conference will grow.

Suspect Purdue attempts to follow IUs recepie for instant relevance. Intrastate rivalry will demand it. We will be the lone school sticking to the ''right way" Our hole will get deeper and pressure to leave conference will grow.
I think it’s less about the right way and more about our trustees not knowing anything about building a successful modern football program.

How many times in the past 30 years has it been declared "Northwestern will NEVER be competitive in the modern Big Ten!" only to be proven wrong rather quickly? 4? 5?

We're having a bad season because we lost a bunch of talent, we don't have a QB with a pulse, and what talent we have left is largely injured. Yes, NU needs to get more active in the portal and yes, NU needs to dive more aggressively into handing out NIL money, but we're not doomed, we're not going to get kicked out of the conference, and people (including recruits) are in fact going to be impressed with our new stadium. Chris Collins is operating under the same limitations and he seems to be doing just fine.

This season was likely going to be a rough one due to the talent deficiency on O, albeit not helped by the roster decisions (is Lausch just a less experienced version of Sully?) or the playcalling, so let's see what Braun can do with a few of his recruiting classes under his belt, along with the transfer portal (schools like Vandy and Dook made better decisions on their transfer QB).

Ultimately, what will make or break Braun is whether he can field an above average O-line.

Now, that may be a more difficult thing for a defensive minded coach, which is why preferred a HC on the other side of the ball.

Interestingly enough, the Hoosiers ended up hiring Cignetti because he had all the traits that they were looking for - 2 of which were being on the offensive side of the ball and having been a recruiting coordinator (was the RC at Bama).

While this is a gross ove r simplification, it's still funny that CFB fans are saying that the Hoosiers are winning with JMU players + an Ohio QB (who has since been injured; testament to the scheme that they don't seem to be missing a beat with their backup QB).

But while many of the skill players have been transfers (something like 44 players on IU roster were not ranked by the recruiting services), the foundation of the team has been the O-line which is made up of IU recruits (who have managed to stay healthy).

The Cats O under Lujan is supposed to be a run-oriented O; but where does that leave the Cats when they can't run the ball? (granted, losing both starting guards hurt, especially when the O-line was tenuous to b whin with).

After a decade of watching scrappy O-lines, I'm just sick of seeing the same thing over and over again, but in order to be fair to Braun, willing to give him some time to see whether he is the guy who can flip things at the O-line.

Having said that, he and his OC also need to make better decisions at the QB position.

Last edited:
This season was likely going to be a rough one due to the talent deficiency on O, albeit not helped by the roster decisions (is Lausch just a less experienced version of Sully?) or the playcalling, so let's see what Braun can do with a few of his recruiting classes under his belt, along with the transfer portal (schools like Vandy and Dook made better decisions on their transfer QB).

Ultimately, what will make or break Braun is whether he can field an above average O-line.

I think the skill positions are more problematic than the OL.

^ Think if you're a run-oriented O, but garner less than 2 ypc, hence, putting your not exactly pass proficient QB repeatedly in 3rd and long, it's a problem.

Ask Pat Ryan Sr to cut a large check to TrueNU. I don’t think he wants to do it, prefers monuments with his name on them even if filled with subpar rosters.
Obviously I’d love Pat Ryan to get real about NIL. I’m not in his weight class. If Pat Ryan had a fourth headquarters he visited three times a year and in his office there he had a fish tank with three goldfish and if those three goldfish were fed daily by an outside maid service and if that outside maid service sent an invoice to yet another office to be paid by a junior accountant… now w’re maybe starting to get down to all of our level vs Pat Ryan.

I agree with you he doesn’t want to do it. He clearly doesn’t believe in it and he probably doesn’t like it. I don’t want to sit here and criticize him because I’m genuinely grateful for his contributions to the program, but it’s galling how inefficient his spending is from an on-field perspective now. But if you’re an old rich guy, I get why you’d care more about real property with your name on it. Truly I do.

Obviously I’d love Pat Ryan to get real about NIL. I’m not in his weight class. If Pat Ryan had a fourth headquarters he visited three times a year and in his office there he had a fish tank with three goldfish and if those three goldfish were fed daily by an outside maid service and if that outside maid service sent an invoice to yet another office to be paid by a junior accountant… now w’re maybe starting to get down to all of our level vs Pat Ryan.

I agree with you he doesn’t want to do it. He clearly doesn’t believe in it and he probably doesn’t like it. I don’t want to sit here and criticize him because I’m genuinely grateful for his contributions to the program, but it’s galling how inefficient his spending is from an on-field perspective now. But if you’re an old rich guy, I get why you’d care more about real property with your name on it. Truly I do.
Not directing at you, but this NIL argument lasts about one more year, if CCC is correct in his estimate that the schools will assume direct NIL distributions. NU is a big boy. $20M to distribute. Most to football. Our quality of recruit should go way up. We don’t need Pat Ryan to field an exciting and very competitive team. A winning team.

This is all about whether NU wants to win. I have to think they do, with the hiring of Jackson and demotion of Gragg. Jackson has his work cut out for him. However, he seems to recognize what needs to happen and that’s a step up. To me, Jackson is now a far more critical piece to success than Pat Ryan is. Pat has already did his heavy lifting. God bless him. He has put NU in position where facilities are no longer an excuse. It’s not 2005 anymore. Jackson needs to build out an organization with actual competent career oriented talent. He has to be able to unite lines of business within NU. His LOB athletics needs to be pulling the rope the same way the academic LOB is. Athletics and Academics Need to be aligned or it just doesn’t work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT