ADVERTISEMENT

Braun still has work to do to drop the interim tag

Apparently, the rest of the board is speechless. Good article. Fair assessment. He's done a good job, perhaps a great job under the circumstances, but NU has to decide at some point whether it is worth an 8 figure contract. Weird that it comes down to whether we win, say, 2 more games.

Apparently, the rest of the board is speechless. Good article. Fair assessment. He's done a good job, perhaps a great job under the circumstances, but NU has to decide at some point whether it is worth an 8 figure contract. Weird that it comes down to whether we win, say, 2 more games.
2 more wins probably gets us to a bowl game. If we make it to a bowl game, that is worthy of consideration, I would think.

2 more wins probably gets us to a bowl game. If we make it to a bowl game, that is worthy of consideration, I would think.
Sorry but that accounts for just a couple aspects of the job. At this level they have to be able to evaluate and recruit and recruit and recruit and develop and do that with a level of athlete than can compete at the high D1 level. Add to that find and recruit assistant coaches that can get the job done. And hard to say whether he has the chops at this level

Reactions: Sheffielder
Sorry but that accounts for just a couple aspects of the job. At this level they have to be able to evaluate and recruit and recruit and recruit and develop and do that with a level of athlete than can compete at the high D1 level. Add to that find and recruit assistant coaches that can get the job done. And hard to say whether he has the chops at this level

…that’s what an interview process is for.

…that’s what an interview process is for.
I am saying just winning a couple more games isn't enough by itself to justify giving him the gig. But again at this point do you trust Gragg and Schill?

I am saying just winning a couple more games isn't enough by itself to justify giving him the gig. But again at this point do you trust Gragg and Schill?
I just said it would make him worthy of consideration. If he wins a couple more games, would you not consider him?

Reactions: drewjin
Uh, that wasn’t his point. He was saying the article should have mentioned those additional desirable attributes for an NU head coach.
To be fair, those items are somewhat discussed in the article. I am just saying that there is a lot more to the HC gig than just winning a couple more games. And as said it it a "tear down to the studs" type of rebuild and that is difficult for anyone let alone someone who has little if any experience with anything like this

I just said it would make him worthy of consideration. If he wins a couple more games, would you not consider him?
While I want to root for the guy and like the feel-good story it creates when he wins, I just don't see how you can put a major corporation like a BIG football program into the hands of a guy with so little experience. As hdhntr said, we need someone to come in and rebuild this program from scratch. Braun is taking a system that is already fully in place and trying to keep it pointed in the right direction. While that is still a big challenge, it is a far cry from being the man who completely orchestrates the whole thing. He might make a great head coach someday, but no way is he truly ready yet.

While I want to root for the guy and like the feel-good story it creates when he wins, I just don't see how you can put a major corporation like a BIG football program into the hands of a guy with so little experience. As hdhntr said, we need someone to come in and rebuild this program from scratch. Braun is taking a system that is already fully in place and trying to keep it pointed in the right direction. While that is still a big challenge, it is a far cry from being the man who completely orchestrates the whole thing. He might make a great head coach someday, but no way is he truly ready yet.
Fitz was younger and less experienced. Similar first year scenario. Braun's is arguably tougher

I am not sure I would NU Athletics in the same league as a "major corporation." Yes, a $112M operating budget is substantial, and the program serves as a flagship for a large institution, but let's not go overboard.

Look around the B1G and the head coaches who run football programs. It is not exactly a Who's Who of great leaders.

I want to know if Braun can recruit, win games, and hire good assistants. We have a few data points that say "maybe" to the first two, but it's early. But Braun has done nothing to rule himself out of the running at this point.

Braun is a national champion defensive coordinator.
At a completely different level. Just saying FItz was already accustomed to dealing with the level of athlete needed and the unique challenges of NU including admissions., I am not against him in any way, Just recognizing that Fitz was already prepared for many of the issues that Braun is just beginning to experience. There was also experience on staff that Fitz was used to working with, Braun came into this in a different spot that Fitz did. Also there has been a pretty sizable exodus that Braun has had to deal with that Fitz did not. And he is having to deal with fallout of an administration that appears less supportive that what Fitz had to deal with., Fitz was better prepared and had less hurdles than what Braun is facing

I think this is good, and I generally agree.

However, I think it is worth acknowledging how far down this program was (still is, of course).

What was so galling about the past two seasons is that NU was totally uncompetitive.

33-13 to Iowa. 17-12 the previous year.
31-3 to Minnesota. 41-14 the previous year.
41-3 to Illinois. 47-14 the previous year.
42-7 to Wisconsin. 35-7 the previous year.

(Purdue embarrassed NU at Wrigley in ‘21, and Nebraska is Nebraska.)

Even as we acknowledge Duke and Rutgers were bad, they weren’t turnover fests (1 against Duke, 2 against Rutgers). You could squint and see a game at halftime.

Getting to competitive is a huge accomplishment. Actually dreaming of a bowl game is a miracle.

I don’t know that Braun is the guy necessarily, but he was a great hire as a DC and has clearly won over the team.

It’s going to be a tough hire, no matter what. I would expect that NU will *not* be able to bring over a current P5 (just a hunch) head coach, and therefore will likely bringing in a lower level head coach or a P5 coordinator. NU is a tough place to win, especially with two years of construction on the way.

And then the question would be whether that type of option — unproven in one way or another — is a better hire than someone who has already done part of the job.

What a weird situation, but, geez, Braun has risen to the challenge.

However, I think it is worth acknowledging how far down this program was (still is, of course).

What was so galling about the past two seasons is that NU was totally uncompetitive.

Even as we acknowledge Duke and Rutgers were bad, they weren’t turnover fests (1 against Duke, 2 against Rutgers). You could squint and see a game at halftime.

Getting to competitive is a huge accomplishment. Actually dreaming of a bowl game is a miracle.

I don’t know that Braun is the guy necessarily, but he was a great hire as a DC and has clearly won over the team.

It’s going to be a tough hire, no matter what. I would expect that NU will *not* be able to bring over a current P5 (just a hunch) head coach, and therefore will likely bringing in a lower level head coach or a P5 coordinator. NU is a tough place to win, especially with two years of construction on the way.

And then the question would be whether that type of option — unproven in one way or another — is a better hire than someone who has already done part of the job.

I agree with all of this and would like to add to it. Let's say Fitz had stuck with the previous staff and Braun wasn't here. July debacle occurs and Jake or JON are interim head coach. This team would have bled talent to the portal and we'd be 0-6. Possibly break our 34 game losing streak record. That's what Braun has meant to the program and the university

I agree with all of this and would like to add to it. Let's say Fitz had stuck with the previous staff and Braun wasn't here. July debacle occurs and Jake or JON are interim head coach. This team would have bled talent to the portal and we'd be 0-6. Possibly break our 34 game losing streak record. That's what Braun has meant to the program and the university
Doesn’t make him the best candidate for the job. He has done GREAT, but it is negligence to not kick the tires on what is reasonably an alternative option.

First let me say, I'm proud to have Braun fronting the program right now. By all accounts he is well-liked by the players, he's come into a wholly undesirable situation and done "well," and he's done it with total poise and grace in front of the cameras and mics.

To listen to the postgame last week on WGN, you would have thought he was Gary Barnett and the year was 1995. Slow down. This Braun-led team has three wins - one against a hapless UTEP, one fun, emotional thriller against middling Minnesota, and a narrow win over FCS Howard, where he was clearly trying to get one more score in at the end of the game and we couldn't get it done. And...proper beatings from three superior programs.

Right now we are performing at about the level we "should" be. I expect Maryland and Wisconsin to be losses. The other four (Neb, Iowa, Purdue, Illinois) are winnable games against other middling programs, where a good team should at least go 2-2. But with all that being said, beating Maryland and/or Wisconsin is not exactly some tremendous feat, either.

To that end, a 5-7 season in my opinion is a very good but not eye-popping job by Braun. Same for 6-6 (but I'd hope he'd be in line for a six-figure bonus getting us to a bowl game). Sure, these scenarios are huge improvement from the 3-9s and 1-11 Fitz left us with, but for the love of god that should not be the baseline we're measuring against to hire a new coach.

As I've often said, the lure of a head coaching job at Northwestern now should be that it's a WEALTHY Big Ten program with shiny new facilities. Hire a head coach who can front and recruit, and let him spend $2-3M each on two coordinators who will leave after a couple seasons because they're so damn good (and if we're not willing to spend on coaches, and we're not moving quickly enough with NIL, then we're playing every game with one hand tied behind our back anyway and none of it matters). I would be fine if Braun wound up being one of them, if he doesn't quite reach a point of dazzling as a candidate for the head job.

As I've often said, the lure of a head coaching job at Northwestern now should be that it's a WEALTHY Big Ten program with shiny new facilities. Hire a head coach who can front and recruit, and let him spend $2-3M each on two coordinators who will leave after a couple seasons because they're so damn good (and if we're not willing to spend on coaches, and we're not moving quickly enough with NIL, then we're playing every game with one hand tied behind our back anyway and none of it matters). I would be fine if Braun wound up being one of them, if he doesn't quite reach a point of dazzling as a candidate for the head job.
Doesn’t make him the best candidate for the job. He has done GREAT, but it is negligence to not kick the tires on what is reasonably an alternative option.
Agree with both of these statements, generally.

In addition to throwing money at people, @Sheffielder, you’ve got to convince them they can be successful at NU.

There aren’t a lot of options because there’s been so little turnover, but the last NU coach to leave for a better job in any of the ‘three major’ sports was Gary Barnett, and it appears that June O. and Beth Combs never coached again. All the money in the world isn’t going to convince a coach to come to NU if their career will be done in five years.

As a counterpoint, NU has historically given coaches a looooooooooong rope, so there’s definitely more security with this job than with others.

(My fandom extends to 98, so I won’t go back further.)

It would be something akin to dereliction of duty (something Gragg is familiar with) to not explore other candidates.

But I would expect every single serious candidate to be missing something on the resume, whether it’s head coach experience or big time competition. NU isn’t pulling a ‘Jimbo Fisher to Texas A&M’.

But I would expect every single serious candidate to be missing something on the resume, whether it’s head coach experience or big time competition.
Agree with both takes.

The next head coach will probably be a young(er) up-and-coming head coach from a non-P5 conference, or else a proven/successful coordinator. I don't see us going with a re-tread. I can also see us keeping Braun as head coach if he gets to 6 wins and bowl game.

To be clear, I am not campaigning for him. What I am saying is that this team was ass for 3 of the past 4 years, lost a lot of NFL and portal talent, had a gigantic scandal, lost more talent, and the guy was thrust into the role. Somehow, he has managed to field a reasonably competitive team. So @Sheffielder (I think?) We are not where we "should be". This team has already surpassed reasonable expectations, and Braun is the primary reason for it. Perhaps a better coach can be found, especially with recruiting chops and a staff to bring. I don't know. I am not one of those "who would come here??!" Handwringers. We have good facilities and a lot of money. And low expectations. But we also have these lawsuit turds floating in the punch bowl, and no stadium. This isn't 2020 any more

To be clear, I am not campaigning for him. What I am saying is that this team was ass for 3 of the past 4 years, lost a lot of NFL and portal talent, had a gigantic scandal, lost more talent, and the guy was thrust into the role. Somehow, he has managed to field a reasonably competitive team. So @Sheffielder (I think?) We are not where we "should be". This team has already surpassed reasonable expectations, and Braun is the primary reason for it. Perhaps a better coach can be found, especially with recruiting chops and a staff to bring. I don't know. I am not one of those "who would come here??!" Handwringers. We have good facilities and a lot of money. And low expectations. But we also have these lawsuit turds floating in the punch bowl, and no stadium. This isn't 2020 any more
But how much of this success is Braun and how much of it is (I can't believe I'm saying this) Fitz doing a good job (got lucky) to bring in Ben "Braun" Bryant, Cam Johnson and AJ Henning from the transfer portal?

Last edited:
But how much of this success is Braun and how much of it is (I can't believe I'm saying this) Fitz doing a good job (got lucky) to bring in Ben Braun, Cam Johnson and AJ Henning from the transfer portal?
I guess you can consider an inability to recruit wide receivers and quarterbacks a good thing…

A shame Hilinski and HuJo didn’t work out. A shame Aidan Smith took snaps. A shame a walk-on from our OCs high school started games. A shame Carl Richardson got a scholarship. A shame Bryant and Sullivan are permanent walking wounded.

Hoping a senior quarterback transfer works out is not a sustainable strategy, but we’re headed that way again. And Fitz kept the architect responsible for that because it was too painful to fire one terrible coordinator and firing both terrible coordinators would have been too much upheaval.

Reactions: drewjin and phatcat
But how much of this success is Braun and how much of it is (I can't believe I'm saying this) Fitz doing a good job (got lucky) to bring in Ben Braun, Cam Johnson and AJ Henning from the transfer portal?
That's fair. If we crapped on fitz for HuJo and Hilinski, he needs credit for Bryant (sic). Like a glass coffin, remains to be seen where Bryant can take us. He's had about 4 good quarters of football in five games. He's clearly above Sullivan, but has been inconsistent, probably because of line play

NDSU is. Smaller division but elite level. They would have beaten us like a drum in 2021 and 2022
Everyone beat us like a drum in 2021 and 2022 (including SIU) We did not have a good team those years. As far as NDSU it is not P5 and not even D1 Elite for where they are but still different level

I am not sure I would NU Athletics in the same league as a "major corporation." Yes, a $112M operating budget is substantial, and the program serves as a flagship for a large institution, but let's not go overboard.

Look around the B1G and the head coaches who run football programs. It is not exactly a Who's Who of great leaders.

I want to know if Braun can recruit, win games, and hire good assistants. We have a few data points that say "maybe" to the first two, but it's early. But Braun has done nothing to rule himself out of the running at this point.
Monies say it is but the way it is run doesn't indicate it. More like a small subsidiary. Of course much of it is funny money in that it pays for scholarships but that is more internal book keeping

Last edited:
Sorry but the decision to move on from JON had been made. There was no way he was sticking with him after the two seasons of D Disaster. So it might not have been Braun but it would have been someone not named JON. And if the debacle had happened and the D coordinator was not someone they could have put the reigns in the hands of, they would have gone outside to get someone on an interim or perm basis, Braun allowed them to postpone that decision. And Fitz brought him in.

We were already headed back to competitiveness and respectability after Fitz moved on from JON

But how much of this success is Braun and how much of it is (I can't believe I'm saying this) Fitz doing a good job (got lucky) to bring in Ben "Braun" Bryant, Cam Johnson and AJ Henning from the transfer portal?
Sorry but hard to see it as luck. Old definition of luck When preparredness meets opportunity.

I'm sorry, but beating UTEP and Howard does not constitute surpassing reasonable expectations to me.

The squads (staffs?) Fitz fielded over the past three seasons were dogs, but yes I do expect NU to beat UTEP and Howard every year, including this year. Fitz's 1-11 campaign did not change my expectations for things like this, and neither does/did this scandal.

The Minnesota win was most certainly a pleasant surprise. We lost to Duke and Penn State in a manner consistent with how I expected, and to Rutgers worse than expected (but it was also the first game of the season where I acknowledge you learn a lot). But again, most of the coaching staff remained intact. It's not like we were fielding a team with 59 warm bodies.

Would we agree the stars of the team so far this year have been Bryant, Henning, and Kirtz? If so, I think Fitz deserves the credit for landing them, and Jake for coaching them. I don't mean to box out Braun entirely now as the interim head coach; I'm just saying with all due respect to the many positive things Braun has brought to the program this season, no - he hasn't even come close to proving he's deserving of the head coaching job (yet). Fortunately for him we still have six games left, and any/all of them are winnable.

To be clear, I am mostly certainly not dead set against making him permanent, but I think too often do things like this get rushed, and I'm especially worried that Gragg and Schill will want to do the easiest thing possible (which is probably this) without a more extensive process.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
To be clear, I am mostly certainly not dead set against making him permanent, but I think too often do things like this get rushed, and I'm especially worried that Gragg and Schill will want to do the easiest thing possible (which is probably this) without a more extensive process.

I'm much more concerned that they will do the dumbest thing possible.

I will take Braun over Skip Holtz or any other retread. At least Braun has upside.

What they really need to do is find a charismatic guy with a stellar reputation who is completely invested in Northwestern, make him the head coach, then let Braun run the defense.

Any ideas?

I'm sorry, but beating UTEP and Howard does not constitute surpassing reasonable expectations to me.
Beating SIU and MOH last year were reasonable expectations, too, which we failed to do. Beating UTEP and Howard was significant because there's a good chance Fitz would've have lost to at least one of those two teams given his track record. Braun got it done. That's a step in the right direction. If Bryant stays healthy, we could win 3 or 4 more games this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT