ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: 2026 QB Johnny O'Brien commits to Northwestern

Wow! So much can change, but Braun and Lujan and the new yard almost certainly won’t.

Two QBs in two classes from the A-list is a good thing.

Reactions: drewjin
Wow! So much can change, but Braun and Lujan and the new yard almost certainly won’t.

Two QBs in two classes from the A-list is a good thing.
This is not a judgment at all on my part, but do we know he’s “A-list”? I’m happy to trust Lujan’s judgment until given a reason not to.

what's the scouting report on this fellow? Mobile like Romain? Kafka? The next bacher? How is his arm strength? Possible Thorson or sullivan?

Last edited:
what's the scouting report on this fellow? Mobile like Romain? Kafka? The next bacher? How is his arm strength? Possible Thorson or sullivan?
His scouting report:

Ranked top 10 QB at All American National combined Jan 2024.
Ranked top 3 QB at Illinois Prep Showcase Jan 2024.
Made All Conference and All Area despite team finishing with 3-6 record in 2023.

GPA 3.95

Size: 8.8
Footwork: 8.58
Accuracy: 8.58
Poise: 8.70
Arm Strength: 8.62
Pocket Presence: 8.62
Release: 8.64
Decision Making: 8.66
Throw on Run: 8.60
Touch: 8.64
Score: 88.78

Ranked 145 in class (dual threat)

He is a lefty, runs a 4.75 40.

2022 84 completion 126 attempts 23 TD 1607 yards
2023 161 completions 241 attempts 17 TD 1879 yards plus 303 yards rushing 3TDs

JOHNNY OBRIEN: Very good size for a 2026 Pro Style QB at 6'2" 180 lbs. This QB has all of the tools to become a legit Top Collegiate QB Prospect. He's as calm as they get. Working methodically as he picks apart a defense. His throwing mechanics are sound. Very little room for deviation. A left handed QB with an over the top delivery, along with a fully extended arm motion. Well balanced stride on his drop backs while setting up with a tall platform. Johnny's throws are tight, made with sharp precision. Tight trajectory on throws made at every level. Very dangerous vertical passing game. An intelligent QB who's skilled at location his best option receivers. Able to adjust the velocity of his throws for added touch. STRENGTHS:(SIZE, THROWING MECHANICS, POISE, INTELLIGENCE, TOUCH)

Last edited:
This is not a judgment at all on my part, but do we know he’s “A-list”? I’m happy to trust Lujan’s judgment until given a reason not to.
Johnny pulled the trigger quickly as he was just offered this week. Yes, he is an A-list for us, but there was competition. Seems like Johnny knew what he wanted and accepted before the other two.

Reactions: DaCat and NJcatsfan
His scouting report:

GPA 3.95

JOHNNY OBRIEN: Very good size for a 2026 Pro Style QB at 6'2" 180 lbs. This QB has all of the tools to become a legit Top Collegiate QB Prospect. He's as calm as they get. Working methodically as he picks apart a defense. His throwing mechanics are sound. Very little room for deviation. A left handed QB with an over the top delivery, along with a fully extended arm motion. Well balanced stride on his drop backs while setting up with a tall platform. Johnny's throws are tight, made with sharp precision. Tight trajectory on throws made at every level. Very dangerous vertical passing game. An intelligent QB who's skilled at location his best option receivers. Able to adjust the velocity of his throws for added touch. STRENGTHS:(SIZE, THROWING MECHANICS, POISE, INTELLIGENCE, TOUCH)
Sounds like they are describing matt Leonhart the usc all-American?? I will go see him play for sure at fremd. My mom lives 2 blocks from school. Should be interesting 🤔!!

His scouting report:

Ranked top 10 QB at All American National combined Jan 2024.
Ranked top 3 QB at Illinois Prep Showcase Jan 2024.
Made All Conference and All Area despite team finishing with 3-6 record in 2023.

GPA 3.95

A couple of additional notes:

Johnny was at the Northwestern showcase last weekend where he picked up the offer, so the coaches have seen him in person on campus. Johnny also pitches and his fast ball was clocked at 83mph.

Reactions: Bexleycat50
The report lists him as a pro-style - at least in one place and for whatever that is worth - but notably doesn't mention his running skills.

Offering after camping on person prior to junior year puts him an A-list in my evaluation. Of most importance is that he didn’t have an offer, showed the coaches what they needed in camp, and then got the offer.

Reactions: DaCat and NJcatsfan
Offering after camping on person prior to junior year puts him an A-list in my evaluation. Of most importance is that he didn’t have an offer, showed the coaches what they needed in camp, and then got the offer.
Actually I find that impressive. He obviously did well in camp and Lujan must have been impressed. As for running skills, he did run for over 300 yards and his tape looked like he was pretty mobile. The scouting report says he is pro-style but his listing says dual threat. In either case, he had enough mobility to get the offer.

Actually I find that impressive. He obviously did well in camp and Lujan must have been impressed. As for running skills, he did run for over 300 yards and his tape looked like he was pretty mobile. The scouting report says he is pro-style but his listing says dual threat. In either case, he had enough mobility to get the offer.
A 4.75 40 isn’t immobile

Lots of experience working with a porous line and hitting receivers who get no separation! Our kinda guy! (Not really kidding. I do hope his line improves or he’s gonna have a bunch of city miles on him when he gets here.)

Obviously an A-list recruit in the eyes of Lujan. Thinking of what he did with Gronowski, how can anyone be not happy with this commitment?

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT