ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: 3-star OL Gabe VanSickle decommits from NU

I’ll bite Bob. This class on paper is the worst we have had in the last decade. The key phrase being “on paper”. We all know we have had 4 star recruits and high 3 star recruits that have done little to nothing. We also have had the Bastone’s and Spencer’s of the world that were not wanted by ANY P5 programs and they walked on and became good players.

I like the fact that these guys know what they are walking into and accepted the challenge. Pretty sure they are character guys. Will every one of them contribute, very doubtful. However some will be starters just like every class. Let’s support them and stop putting forth your referendum of everything wrong about NU is caused by the Devil (PF) and the Devil Incarnate (CCC).
Are you talking about the 2025 class? Aren’t we still recruiting for that? Wasn’t the 2024 class selected by PF and company but subsequently experienced predictable defections. I thought the OP spoke to 2025 commits.

I'm not really worried about recruiting; I'd have been far more concerned if Braun hadn't accomplished what he and the program have done to this point of the season.

Yeah we face a tough situation given what happened in the offseason and the overhang that it will likely leave for another year or so, and the stadium situation is a really difficult issue for the next 2 years, but the most important thing was Braun becoming HC and stabilizing the program. Once he has a full staff in place that he's comfortable with, I think he'll figure out the recruiting aspect of all of this in the same way that Fitz did.

Fitz's first couple of years recruiting were tough too, until he won plenty of games and got plenty of bowl bids, and the results speak for themselves. The quick turnaround and defensive results this season speak for themselves as well.

Braun comes off as a guy that players would want to play for; he'll figure out the HC's role in recruitment as well. Guys that players want to play for typically end up figuring it out.

You attempts you induce me to attack you make me giggle. Much like your claims that I make no sense. But hey, at least you are using more words and often with more than three letters.

The lawyer analogy is tough as an offer letter is binding with very precise out clauses for the firm. On the law student side, the legal communities are pretty tight especially within forms of certain sizes, quality, etc. Unless you reneg to accept a judicial clerking position or some similar non-firm and prestigious position, you risk being blacklisted among that group of firms. Lawyers are fickle.

But, if the communications have been ongoing for many months and assuming they have been primarily by the recruiting or position coach, one would think those works be the tighter relations.

And before the scandal, the team had sucked and off the coaches were all not concerned about job security than even more reason to clean the whole damn house and suck it for minute in the recruiting circles. Maybe the better athletes with professional aspirations would be smart enough to see that as an effort to improve development, production and exposure 🤷‍♂️

And now you’re attempting to emphasize technicalities instead of actually dealing with the crux of my argument. Pretty lawyerly, I suppose.

Anyway, fun as this has been, I’m out. Happy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Are you talking about the 2025 class? Aren’t we still recruiting for that? Wasn’t the 2024 class selected by PF and company but subsequently experienced predictable defections. I thought the OP spoke to 2025 commits.

No.

Talk about not making sense.

You asked two “yes or no” questions. I answered no because the answer to both is no.

We are still actively recruiting the class of 2024, which can start signing on 12/20 during the ”early period“ (but when the bulk of signings really happen) or 2/7/24 during the “regular period” (the old Signing Day, but now much less typical to see a lot of signings).

VanSickle is a decommitment in the 2024 class. This entire discussion has pretty clearly been on the 2024 class/cycle.

From all MAC offer competition to poached by OSU. I guess Fitz, Bajakian and Anderson may have recruited well in finding a diamond in the rough. The next couple years are looking rough on the depth chart unless we get certain guys to stay through their eligibility and do as well in the portal as we did this year with Bryant, Henning, Johnson et al.

Look at where all our other decommitments and/or 2023 transferees ended up. We were recruiting real live talent, then obviously the Fitz situation took away a lot of that momentum.

So Braun’s not the guy?

You asked two “yes or no” questions. I answered no because the answer to both is no.

We are still actively recruiting the class of 2024, which can start signing on 12/20 during the ”early period“ (but when the bulk of signings really happen) or 2/7/24 during the “regular period” (the old Signing Day, but now much less typical to see a lot of signings).

VanSickle is a decommitment in the 2024 class. This entire discussion has pretty clearly been on the 2024 class/cycle.

So this was the path we were traveling. I didn’t read it to be about 2024 when the OP spoke to future classes to which you commented on the loss of momentum and then I referenced brauns recent signings (are they all 2024?)

So this was the path we were traveling. I didn’t read it to be about 2024 when the OP spoke to future classes to which you commented on the loss of momentum and then I referenced brauns recent signings (are they all 2024?)

Yes, all the recent commitments have been 2024s that can first sign in December 2023 (the class year is still based on the old “normal” signing period). The class of 2025 cannot sign until December 2024 and is the next cycle. Still very early in the 2025 cycle and we are understandably a bit behind in our work there.

Last edited:
Yes, all the recent commitments have been 2024s that can first sign in December 2023 (the class year is still based on the old “normal” signing period). The class of 2025 cannot sign until December 2024 and is the next cycle. Still very early in the 2025 cycle and we are understandably a bit behind in our work there.
Ok - I misunderstood the recent verbals and visits. I thought they were for 2025 and 2024 would be filled with transfers.

I am struggling to reconcile these developmental program comments with Braun’s HS recruiting class size position. We won’t have enough scholarship players with a decent influx from the portal this year.
It’s just a roster crunch, as next year will the final ‘extra’ COVID year. So, I’d expect lots of productive seniors to get the offer to return.

In general, the developmental focus is on building a program around people that value that NU degree from the start, which has a huge effect on protecting NU from transfers.

I also think/hope the developmental focus has to include a revamp of the strength program. NU’s OL in particular has spent quite a bit of time recently being totally overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
Well at least the post count got a boost. I stopped reading after a half dozen or so.

Big deal. The portal is where we’ll have to succeed to compete in the B1G for the next nomad seasons.
Good luck with that. As is documented on these boards, our ability to get guys through the portal with our admissions department is pretty difficult. Especially with guys that have not graduated yet, And if they have we would usually only have them for one year. Makes putting together a team a lot more difficult than it is anywhere else

I would think a high percentage of portal guys couldn’t get through admissions.

Braun also said he wants NU to be the ultimate developmental team. Doesn’t sound like a guy that will rely on the transfer portal.
Especially as undergrads where we would have them for a couple years

Let’s just say the Buckeye faithful are not doing cartwheels over the prospect of Goodbye Gabe joining their class.
But it screws us. Especially with the earlier defections from the OL recruits, That is the area that is most concerning as it takes a couple years to get them to the point you get any production from them on the field

Last edited:
I would think a high percentage of portal guys couldn’t get through admissions.

Braun also said he wants NU to be the ultimate developmental team. Doesn’t sound like a guy that will rely on the transfer portal.
He wants to be the ultimate developmental team because we really have no choice

I am struggling to reconcile these developmental program comments with Braun’s HS recruiting class size position. We won’t have enough scholarship players with a decent influx from the portal this year.
We lost half of this years recruiting class, Some things are also affected by additional Covid year. They affect the size of this years class

I thought I was Debbie downer about the team prospects but even I can’t deny unexpected success. If we get another miracle, perhaps some better assistant coaches will appear this off-season and we can become that development program that Braun described.

Actually, kinda glad corbi has this opinion cuz we know his success rate : P
Don't you get that we have an especially hard time getting kids through the portal? Especially undergrads? Look back a couple years and Mich State fielded a team that wa almost half transfers. We really cannot do anything like that

Reactions: corbi296
NU’s inflexibility on transfer admissions is a self inflicted wound that someone in the power hierarchy needs to rectify. It is ridiculous that admissions considers someone’s HS transcript when they have a 2-3 year history at an accredited University. How many kids weren’t a **** up for one year of their academic career? For Many of these kids a football scholarship or even a college education at real college didn’t even become a possibility until their third year of HS. Judge them by what they are doing with their life now not when they were 14 years old. Admissions is perched in an ivory tower with a moat full of alligators protecting them from the all the so called meatheads that would dare suggest to give a kid with an unique special talent a chance.
Reasonable but I have not heard of any such flexibility out of our admissions dept and it does not seem that any of the powers that be are willing to try to get them to move off of that

I thought I was Debbie downer about the team prospects but even I can’t deny unexpected success. If we get another miracle, perhaps some better assistant coaches will appear this off-season and we can become that development program that Braun described.

Actually, kinda glad corbi has this opinion cuz we know his success rate : P
It is going to get a lot tougher going forward because of recruits lost out of 23 and 24 classes and portal losses

You said we WERE recruiting at a high level and referenced the momentum to be gone. Braun presumably carried on recruiting after PF dismissal. How else does one interpret your statement reflecting the recruiting efforts led by Braun over the last four months?

Or are you simply trying to stir more poor PF crap?
We were but we lost guys at the last minute out of 2023 class just as they were going to come on to campus and we have lost half of the guys in class of 24. First job for Braun was stablizing things and then to try to replace guys lost, I think 4 have been recruited in, But reality is guys we lost were descent P5 level and guys brought in since are probably MAC level (potentially ok developmental but not more ready to go like guys we lost). Nice guys to finish our a class but nothing to move the needle.

And the area of huge concern is the OL where we have lost 4 guys in two classes. Since they take so long to develop and we have so much trouble getting guys through portal, it could be a really lean period

Last edited:
Not knowing who the next coach would be for the last 4 months kind of put a crimp into how they could recruit, don't ya think?

Now I would assume Braun can get back to recruiting the types of players Fitz was before he was whacked and have more success since he is now the guy going forward and recruits know that.
He will have a hard time getting an audience with that level at this point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT