ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Northwestern commitment a dream come true for TE Robby Preckel

Wow, I am really getting excited now for the Braun era to start!!! Recruiting is really heating up in a major way!!!!!!!!!! After a slow start, the uptick in recruiting I was expecting has indeed come in spades, just later than expected!!!!!! Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Figrating
Wow, I am really getting excited now for the Braun era to start!!! Recruiting is really heating up in a major way!!!!!!!!!! After a slow start, the uptick in recruiting I was expecting has indeed come in spades, just later than expected!!!!!! Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!
While the numbers are nice, many have if any other P4/5 offers so they may be even more likely to be developmental projects than we are used to.

While the numbers are nice, many have if any other P4/5 offers so they may be even more likely to be developmental projects than we are used to.
With the number of exclamation points I was considering Jaguar’s post as a possible sarcasm alert. Whatever it is, I trust this staff knows what they’re doing and would not be filling the class early with B or C list recruits even if it looks that way based on offers. I the contrary, I think a couple of these guys may be a roller coaster to hang onto if they start getting more P4 offers.

With the number of exclamation points I was considering Jaguar’s post as a possible sarcasm alert. Whatever it is, I trust this staff knows what they’re doing and would not be filling the class early with B or C list recruits even if it looks that way based on offers. I the contrary, I think a couple of these guys may be a roller coaster to hang onto if they start getting more P4 offers.
Some are likely the diamond in rough type but hard to imagine that they all are

Not sarcasm at all. If you remember a month or so ago I stated that I was worried about not getting any bounce from the new exciting HC. I was rather impatient, but we did get a bounce. Yeah most of the guys are still 3 star recruits, but that is way better than nothing. I have come to the realization that landing a 4 star recruit or two will be rare. I am really looking forward to NU football this season, while a month or two ago I wasn't. I just wish we can actually recruit a solid QB that will be a multi year starter for us like Clayton.

I think I would phrase it that these are recruits that the staff believe are good fit for our program. Braun on more than one occasion has pushed the concept of NU being a development program. At first I thought was just more coaches talk. But now I think that means these are not ready starters but players the coaches feel can be starters in years 2-4. Some appear to be undersized at their present weight but look like they have the frame to add weight/muscle. I do notice an emphasis on speed or quickness. Being undersized means as juniors, the bigger programs have not noticed them. The fact that some of these came out of the one-day camp assures me that we got a jump on them before other programs. Part of me think it stems from the fact that Braun and Lujan came from successful FCS programs where they get athletes that were overlooked. The difference is these are 3-star players that have already shown talent versus 2-star players who are still a bit raw. It is a hopeful sign.

I think it's natural to be a little concerned that this staff is coming up from the FCS and their sense of perspective hasn't fully caught up to the kind of athlete you need at the P5 level. But, there is also the reality that this coaching staff will need some time to establish their reputation with the higher rated recruits.

I think it's natural to be a little concerned that this staff is coming up from the FCS and their sense of perspective hasn't fully caught up to the kind of athlete you need at the P5 level. But, there is also the reality that this coaching staff will need some time to establish their reputation with the higher rated recruits.
They ain't dummies. Braun already has one year of B1G football under his belt, a fairly successful one at that, if one can dare say that about a Coach of the Year performance.

Lujan has a specific vision of what Preckel can do in his offensive scheme, and if the kid does indeed step onto the campus at or near his target 230 lbs, he could be a deadly weapon. He can run, he's got good hands, and seems very motivated. We don't need another 6-6 tight end that rarely sees the field.

Not sarcasm at all. If you remember a month or so ago I stated that I was worried about not getting any bounce from the new exciting HC. I was rather impatient, but we did get a bounce. Yeah most of the guys are still 3 star recruits, but that is way better than nothing. I have come to the realization that landing a 4 star recruit or two will be rare. I am really looking forward to NU football this season, while a month or two ago I wasn't. I just wish we can actually recruit a solid QB that will be a multi year starter for us like Clayton.
A number of those three star recruits were not even rated before they committed and three star has often become the new auto two star. Just seems that a lot do not have any other P4/5 offers indicating that while we are getting guys, we are not really beating anyone as we are potentially going after guys that other programs don't seem to think are ready to be at the P4/5 level. Are we going after more MAC and NDS/SDS level guys? Can we afford this approach with so many holes to fill because of all the guys that went through portal? Hopefully they do pan out but even if they do pan out, do they take an extra year to get there? And with NIL and the portal does that further compromise our ability to get a competitive product on the field?

Reactions: Jaguar 88
A number of those three star recruits were not even rated before they committed and three star has often become the new auto two star. Just seems that a lot do not have any other P4/5 offers indicating that while we are getting guys, we are not really beating anyone as we are potentially going after guys that other programs don't seem to think are ready to be at the P4/5 level. Are we going after more MAC and NDS/SDS level guys? Can we afford this approach with so many holes to fill because of all the guys that went through portal? Hopefully they do pan out but even if they do pan out, do they take an extra year to get there? And with NIL and the portal does that further compromise our ability to get a competitive product on the field?
I think all we do is wait and see. Many of Northwestern's most successful recruits started off as two and three stars and eventually developed into long-term starters. While we have had a couple of four and five star recruits shine (JJTBC and Clayton Thorson come to mind), we've had many that never saw meaningful time on the field either due to injuries or an inability to break into the starting ranks. It seems like Braun (like Fitz before him) put a lot of stock into character and athletes from a winning tradition. Fingers crossed here.

I think all we do is wait and see. Many of Northwestern's most successful recruits started off as two and three stars and eventually developed into long-term starters. While we have had a couple of four and five star recruits shine (JJTBC and Clayton Thorson come to mind), we've had many that never saw meaningful time on the field either due to injuries or an inability to break into the starting ranks. It seems like Braun (like Fitz before him) put a lot of stock into character and athletes from a winning tradition. Fingers crossed here.
All true and generally we always tend to have a couple of this level recruit, Just seems like it is a much bigger portion of the total class this year (and the end of last year) For sure, some will work out. The question is, will it be enough?

All true and generally we always tend to have a couple of this level recruit, Just seems like it is a much bigger portion of the total class this year (and the end of last year) For sure, some will work out. The question is, will it be enough?
It is hard to tell. The most meaningful part to me is that these were guys we targeted as primary targets or we offered after one-day camps and not desperate picks to fill the class just before letters of intent are signed. It is a change in strategy but then the last strategy had us only winning 1 big ten game two years in a row. We really won’t know until 2027-2028.

Reactions: drewjin
It is hard to tell. The most meaningful part to me is that these were guys we targeted as primary targets or we offered after one-day camps and not desperate picks to fill the class just before letters of intent are signed. It is a change in strategy but then the last strategy had us only winning 1 big ten game two years in a row. We really won’t know until 2027-2028.

The strategy hasn’t really changed. What’s changed is the recruiting calendar. For all intents and purposes 2025 recruiting will be done on June 30. The vast majority of programs have moved on to the 2026 recruiting class with the official start kicking off on June 15.

The biggest reasons for the downturn was bringing in JON and not really having a viable QB, Over all we did have P4/5 level talent and that same group with a new DC and an actual QB with experience was able to do substantially better.

This new approach is taking guys that look to need at least another year of development than we are used to but also doing it at a time that we need an influx of talent because of of all the holes that were created do to the dismissal of Fitz and the poor way in which it was handled. So there are two questions. First will they develop (and enough of them) to the level needed and second and just as important, will they do it in time to fill the holes and keep us competitive. A possible third question is, that if they do develop to a level that will help, will they stick around

The biggest reasons for the downturn was bringing in JON and not really having a viable QB, Over all we did have P4/5 level talent and that same group with a new DC and an actual QB with experience was able to do substantially better.

This new approach is taking guys that look to need at least another year of development than we are used to but also doing it at a time that we need an influx of talent because of of all the holes that were created do to the dismissal of Fitz and the poor way in which it was handled. So there are two questions. First will they develop (and enough of them) to the level needed and second and just as important, will they do it in time to fill the holes and keep us competitive. A possible third question is, that if they do develop to a level that will help, will they stick around
Frankly, I don’t see us doing well next year. Between the schedule, the gap left by the firing of Fitz, and the time to develop Braun’s recruits, it should hit us next season. But if all goes well, 2026 will be a really interesting year.

The caliber of recruit per other offers is a bit underwhelming. The one thing gives me hope is that this staff is used to taking recruits not wanted by P5 programs and developing them into NFL caliber athletes at a higher pace than we have historically and molded them into players who can regularly beat P5 programs. They know what they are looking for and they know how to develop. If they are replicating the formula used at NDSU and SDSU with a slightly higher talent bar with subsequently slightly better results, then maybe that’s a good formula for success.

Reactions: DaCat and Just Gary
The caliber of recruit per other offers is a bit underwhelming. The one thing gives me hope is that this staff is used to taking recruits not wanted by P5 programs and developing them into NFL caliber athletes at a higher pace than we have historically and molded them into players who can regularly beat P5 programs. They know what they are looking for and they know how to develop. If they are replicating the formula used at NDSU and SDSU with a slightly higher talent bar with subsequently slightly better results, then maybe that’s a good formula for success.
Maybe but it takes them years to get them to that level and they get there because they get time on the field that they would not get at a higher level program. But in this new age of NIL, a lot of times they will bolt there last year or two, And the huge problem we have is big holes in the roster in another year or two

A lot of recruits took more than a season to take the field as a starter under Fitz, with some never attaining a starting role, so if that happens it will just be business as usual. The answer to your last question is probably a big fat yes when it comes to OSU, Oregon, Washington, and Michigan. I think we won't see a B1G title in a very long time to be honest. The best we can hope for is make a bowl and win it. I think everyone involved with the football team realizes that, hence the smaller stadium being built, etc. CFB is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$ anymore as is all college and pro sports. The NIL and the portal should not be allowed to exist, but there is too much money to be made by those on top of the food chain.

A lot of recruits took more than a season to take the field as a starter under Fitz, with some never attaining a starting role, so if that happens it will just be business as usual. The answer to your last question is probably a big fat yes when it comes to OSU, Oregon, Washington, and Michigan. I think we won't see a B1G title in a very long time to be honest. The best we can hope for is make a bowl and win it. I think everyone involved with the football team realizes that, hence the smaller stadium being built, etc. CFB is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$ anymore as is all college and pro sports. The NIL and the portal should not be allowed to exist, but there is too much money to be made by those on top of the food chain.
I am suggesting that the guys that they are bringing in, even if they can become what they coaches envision , are generally less physically etc mature and it will take them an additional year longer to see the field so we lose a year on the front end and more will redshirt and they will be closer to graduation by the time they start to make an impact. That exposes the second danger. As we have seen our hold on guys diminishes greatly once they have got that paper (the draw of the masters is much less than draw of getting the bachelors degree) so there is a big danger of losing them shortly after they start finally making an impact THe result is we lose a year off the front end and potentially off the back end as well.

That is just really bad on competitive depth and it makes it a lot harder to be competitive at this level year after year

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT