ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: NU lands three-star Ohio TE Tyler Kielmeyer

What is the deal with all the Tight ends--don't they already have more than enough, especially given you only hear about one or two at a time? And there was a period where we never heard the name of a TE called out during play.

Is that like our 8th TE this class? Interesting…
Well it is only three but is sure seems like a lot. Hopefully at least one of them can play another position as well as that sure seems like a lot of resources committed to a single position, especially since we already have a few others on the roster including three in the last two classes

Well it is only three but is sure seems like a lot. Hopefully at least one of them can play another position as well as that sure seems like a lot of resources committed to a single position, especially since we already have a few others on the roster including three in the last two classes
Yeah… I am prone to exaggeration. But I agree with your main point.

Recruitable tight ends are generally great athletes who can move all over the field.

I’m happy with three TEs and two QBs in every class, understanding that all might move elsewhere.

Give me athletes with good offer lists. Seems like all three fit the bill.

Reactions: phatcat and ubercat
What is the deal with all the Tight ends--don't they already have more than enough, especially given you only hear about one or two at a time? And there was a period where we never heard the name of a TE called out during play.
We are graduating at least 3 tight ends after this season, so getting 3 tight ends in the 2025 class makes sense.

Reactions: epicbret
Hinton was always a tackle. I think you are remembering Trai Essex.

Hinton was not always a tackle. He played three seasons as a tight end and only moved to OT his senior year. It was one of the reasons we ended the losing streak because the coaches figure out that maybe it would be better to have him in a position where he can block for running backs on every play. It did not hurt that he had a hard time catching the ball on passes as a tight end. Today it would seem crazy to select a guy who only played the position one year as the fourth pick in the draft. Most teams never scouted NU so it was only when he played in the senior bowl that he moved from a potential mid round prospect to the best lineman in the draft. Everyone remembers he was traded for Elway, but people forget that he was selected fourth after Elway, Eric Dickerson, and Curt Warner. Denver fans celebrated that they got him. Of course they celebrated more when he was traded for Elway who refused to play for Baltimore. The trade was so bad that the Colts had to leave Baltimore and took their whole team to Indianapolis (ok, it was the not the reason they switched cities but it was really a terrible trade).

Last edited:
We are graduating at least 3 tight ends after this season, so getting 3 tight ends in the 2025 class makes sense.
That still leaves 10 of them. Why do we need 10 of them when we only seem to use 1 or 2?

Last edited:
Hinton was always a tackle. I think you are remembering Trai Essex.

This is simply anecdotal info, but my friend was a walkon in 1980 when I matriculated. He could have been wrong, of course, and also my memory has faded. But I do recall him talking about Hinton as a TE at that time. I was a dumb Freshman, so I only noticed guys like Kerrigan and Sheets. But, let me tell you, Hinton was "noticeable " in 1982 when the started winning a few. He was a tank.

Reactions: DaCat
Incorrect. Hinton played TE for his first two seasons, catching about 30 total passes before transitioning to tackle.
I guess it was 2 instead of 3. I remember going to the spring game and he really stood out. Back then we were allowed right up to the field and could see the action up close as there were not many people who showed up. While the rest of the line struggled with their blocks, he simply crushed the guy on the other side. It was kind of funny when his guy was always pancaked in the first two seconds and he was standing there looking for something else to hit. He did some of the same playing for the Colts

Last edited:
That still leaves 10 of them. Wha do we need 10 of them when we only seem to use 1 or 2?
Lujan’s system requires mobile tight ends and he does have one formation with a tight end on each side of the line and a tight end as lead running back. He may also believe the ones we currently have are not flexible enough and will bring in guys he believe will be better at the position for his needs. I guess we will know in about 4 years.

Hinton had a monster game when the Cats broke their Big Ten losing streak against Minnesota in 1982. Helped Ricky Edwards run wild as the Cats scored 28 unanswered points after trailing 21-3. As I remember it, there were several Gopher defenders carried off the field that day. He had also helped Edwards score 4 TDS when they ended THE STREAK against NIU.

Hinton had a monster game when the Cats broke their Big Ten losing streak against Minnesota in 1982. Helped Ricky Edwards run wild as the Cats scored 28 unanswered points after trailing 21-3. As I remember it, there were several Gopher defenders carried off the field that day. He had also helped Edwards score 4 TDS when they ended THE STREAK against NIU.
Was that a day it was raining and the stands were basically empty?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT