ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble watch

Dayton, can someone explain to me why they have been ranked for so long?

I am really not a margin of difference or efficiency guy. I am a W/L guy. I could not care if you get into shootouts or not, I care if you win, 100-99 or 40-39.

Dayton is a good team, I understand that. Holmes is All American talent.

But for my ignorant ass this is their resume:
1) Decent pre-season wins against a decent St. John's team, and almost decent Cincinnati and LSU.
2) Pre season losses to proper Northwestern and almighty Houston (they were never in the game).
3) All other pre-season was cupcakes
4) Third in a pitiful A10 league, with no chance of being 1st

I know we all love having beaten these dudes. But I am underwhelmed
Funny you say that...
My son goes to Saint Louis U.
I watch A-10 games - I've seen almost every SLU game this year.
There are a bunch of decent teams in the conference. Not many good ones.
For Dayton to be 3rd says quite a bit, in my opinion.
I watched them slaughter SLU last night.
NU played (and beat) Dayton a couple days after Dayton lost their point guard (their 2nd best player) for the season. So that result is biased in NU's favor.
I watched first-place Richmond beat SLU recently. I was expecting full court action from Richmond. What I got was somebody playing old school, running much of their offense thru a 7 foot guy standing at the free throw line. Motion, screens, backdoor cuts. SLU was defenseless.

St. Joe's lost at Kentucky in OT, but beat Villanova and Princeton.
UMass beat South Florida (American conference champ).
Lowly SLU gave Utah State (Mountain West leader) a game and beat Wyoming.
VCU beat Penn State, lost by 4 to Boise and had Iowa State down 10 with 6 minutes to play, before losing.
There are quality players in that league. Quite a few have shown up in the Big Ten and outplayed the highly-recruited guys.

The big problem faced by the A-10 is that their rosters get destroyed and they have to rebuild every year. If people think NU is disadvantaged by NIL and the transfer rules, most of the mid-majors have it much much worse.

Reactions: GatoLouco
If we lose 4 in a row to close the season, we are not dancing. Sorry

All of our numbers are somewhat converging as our Strength of Record has dropped a bit with the two losses.

NET - 53
KenPom - 45
KPI - 38
Strength of Record - 34
BPI - 39

Those are solid numbers, but a win vs. Minnesota would be nice to keep them right there.

Reactions: GatoLouco and DaCat
If we lose 4 in a row to close the season, we are not dancing. Sorry
I’m pretty sure you’re wrong, but also Minnesota just lost at home to Indiana, and they were positively euphoric over a win over Penn State. They’re not that good, even if they’ve been excited a few times.

NU rolls on Saturday, and rolls into the Dance. (I’m hoping for a “highest-seeded #10”, for what it’s worth.)

All of our numbers are somewhat converging as our Strength of Record has dropped a bit with the two losses.

NET - 53
KenPom - 45
KPI - 38
Strength of Record - 34
BPI - 39

Those are solid numbers, but a win vs. Minnesota would be nice to keep them right there.
Yes. And the Chi State game drags us so far to the left… simply removing that game does wonders. Future scheduling considerations would be stop playing 10 teams that are sub 250 each year. Then our strong top resume will actually shine.

Or how about not losing to teams like Chicago State?! Is that too hard to ask?
:cool:

Reactions: NUCat320
Yes. And the Chi State game drags us so far to the left… simply removing that game does wonders. Future scheduling considerations would be stop playing 10 teams that are sub 250 each year. Then our strong top resume will actually shine.
The likes of DePaul and Detroit Mercy aren't usually THAT bad. The MAC is usually a respectable mid-major conference, but the two MAC teams we scheduled are historically atrocious. I don't think we set out to schedule the absolute worst teams; it just worked out that way this season.

I do think losing the Big Ten-ACC Challenge hurts. Either the conference or the 'Cats should replace that with a power conference foe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT