ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Trumps Harbaugh

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Playing an actual game in Sydney, Australia, versus Hawai'i on 8/27. What a goofy place to play. Long road trip for the Bears, wonder if they can use body clock for an excuse if they struggle! droski, you going to the game?

Worst thing is, as a season opener it stinks.

I mean, it would be cool to watch a college game played in Oz, just for the novelty. But kickoff is at like 1 am, EST. Not staying up for that. And Hawaii is a doormat, even for a team down on their luck like Cal. So other than location, there is absolutely nothing interesting, much less compelling, about this game.

Which is a pity; the first game of the season should be good enough to get all game-starved fans eager to tune in.

Worst thing is, as a season opener it stinks.

I mean, it would be cool to watch a college game played in Oz, just for the novelty. But kickoff is at like 1 am, EST. Not staying up for that. And Hawaii is a doormat, even for a team down on their luck like Cal. So other than location, there is absolutely nothing interesting, much less compelling, about this game.

Which is a pity; the first game of the season should be good enough to get all game-starved fans eager to tune in.

Well, Hawaii is a doormat unless you play there with WAC officiating...

Heh.

Just makes one wonder why they picked a start time that corresponds to 1 a.m. EST (that would be 4 pm local time, I think). They could've gone with 11 am local, not an unreasonable start time, which would've been 8 pm eastern/5 pm pacific in the US. Seems like that would work for everybody. Even a noon start in Oz would've been 9 pm eastern, 6 pm pacific, still very reasonable all around.

*shrug* It's like they went out of their way to be sure a lot of Americans would not be watching the first game of the 2016 season. Weird.

Heh.

Just makes one wonder why they picked a start time that corresponds to 1 a.m. EST (that would be 4 pm local time, I think). They could've gone with 11 am local, not an unreasonable start time, which would've been 8 pm eastern/5 pm pacific in the US. Seems like that would work for everybody. Even a noon start in Oz would've been 9 pm eastern, 6 pm pacific, still very reasonable all around.

*shrug* It's like they went out of their way to be sure a lot of Americans would not be watching the first game of the 2016 season. Weird.[/QUOTE

I hope the Cal players get to spend a night at "The Rocks" or find a date at King's Cross.(?). Maybe a safer choice would be "The Oaks" in Mosman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT