ADVERTISEMENT

camp coverage

Right, I think the frustration is that the inability to have any idea what is going on at camp prevents is hard core fans from getting the less hard core fans from getting excited about the upcoming season, and also reduces local and potentially national media coverage (probably the latter less but maybe at the margin). Those things can / will reduce preseason excitement among the fan base....

Yes, I agree with this entirely. Just comparing how quiet it is here on these boards with practices having started, and how it is on my home boards, where each day's practice generates one thread specifically initiated as a collecting spot for news and video clips, a thread that runs hundreds of posts long. And that in turn generates handfuls of side threads discussing specific players, or coaches, or observations. Then the next day, another practice, another thread with hundreds of posts that in turn generates another dozen threads on specific ideas. And the next day, the same again. And again. And again.

So now you have a really well-informed (or at least they think they're well-informed, hehe) core of fans going to school or work the next day with scads of water cooler material to spread. Can really blossom fast, maybe not accurate news but just excitement and energy about the team and the upcoming season.

As for controlling the information flow, if the coaching staff only allows access to reporters after they gain accreditation through some minor bureaucratic hurdle, then such access can be withdrawn. The amateurs who can't control themselves will quickly get sorted. The professionals, whose jobs depend on continued access, will abide by limitations put in place. They'll chafe at it, sure, all media love to believe in their journalistic independence, but (short of a scandal to report) they'll toe the line if they want to be back the next day. With this system, I think a coaching staff can maintain at least some degree of control over outside observers sharing secrets about players' health, the play book, and so on.

It's a surprisingly complex element of the football coaching staff's job.

Reactions: ricko654321
Check out the coverage of Tennessee's fall camp on their Rival's site. Daily pics from camp, updates on each day's action, insights from players and coaches. Night and day from NU's approach to the media. Any pretense that such media access puts us at a competitive disadvantage was put to rest at the Outback bowl. NU does not know how to hype its program. A few controlled promotional videos are not enough. If NU was smart, they would leverage this site.
Winning is the only way we are increasing the fan base( other than selling tickets for ten bucks). I agree with Fitz 100%! Keep em guessing!

Well, there's a bit more to it than that. I mean, the Volunteers get more coverage in Nashville than the Titans. So college team beats pro team out for coverage in pro team's home town, 3 hours away from college team's home town.

It's certainly more complicated than just Pro > College everywhere they co-exist.

Yeah, but it's not the same dynamic. The Bears are one of the original NFL franchises, and Chicago has always been a Bears town. There are still constant reports on the '85 Super Bowl winners more than 30 years after the game. And when the Cubs are playing well, as they are now, it's right up there with the Bears. The Blackhawks, as your hockey team in Tennessee is aware, haven't been too bad in recent years, either. And neither Illinois or NU have the tradition of consistent success in football that Tennessee does. College sports are a very distant second in Chicago.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
"Of course, you would have to give up that whole 'waving your keys at the opponent's fans"

Many other schools and fan bases jangle their keys.

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2005/10/put-damn-keys-away.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ng-college-football-stadium-traditions/page/6
I always thought, and was told, that the "key jangle" was indicative of a "key play", not as a noise maker, or as a tradition without a reason. I guess it's like any other item which is copied...the original meaning is lost in the wake of the effect. And the effect then becomes the visible part of what was once the fan's input into what the play on the field meant.

Where do you think much of the online news comes from?
There's no lack of information about northwestern sports online so if the tribune doesn't have articles on them doesn't really affect what I see. You can pick up news about anything online by searching what you're trying to learn about and there's no way how much a team is in the papers would affect my decision on picking a college.

There's no lack of information about northwestern sports online so if the tribune doesn't have articles on them doesn't really affect what I see. You can pick up news about anything online by searching what you're trying to learn about and there's no way how much a team is in the papers would affect my decision on picking a college.
Nusports.com has some nice coverage of the team with a great (ex-Trib writer) Skip Myslinski providing in-depth profiles of the team throughout the pre-season and regular season.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
We're going around in circles here. NU tries very hard to get maximum publicity. I said earlier that WEDNESDAY is media day and that's because the Bears don't practice that day so it should maximize coverage. With the Cubs in first place and the Bears about to start their preseason and the Olympics going on, I don't know what your expectations would be. Illini have a new coach well known in Chicago and ND has a QB battle. Those are compelling story lines that might give them a little extra preseason pub. Fitz is popular with the media in Chicago and gets plenty of pub. OPEN PRACTICES WOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE in the amount of coverage NU gets. Winning does make a difference, but even then, there is lots of competition for attention in Chicago sports.
Excuses are for losers.

Yes, I agree with this entirely. Just comparing how quiet it is here on these boards with practices having started, and how it is on my home boards, where each day's practice generates one thread specifically initiated as a collecting spot for news and video clips, a thread that runs hundreds of posts long. And that in turn generates handfuls of side threads discussing specific players, or coaches, or observations. Then the next day, another practice, another thread with hundreds of posts that in turn generates another dozen threads on specific ideas. And the next day, the same again. And again. And again.

So now you have a really well-informed (or at least they think they're well-informed, hehe) core of fans going to school or work the next day with scads of water cooler material to spread. Can really blossom fast, maybe not accurate news but just excitement and energy about the team and the upcoming season.

As for controlling the information flow, if the coaching staff only allows access to reporters after they gain accreditation through some minor bureaucratic hurdle, then such access can be withdrawn. The amateurs who can't control themselves will quickly get sorted. The professionals, whose jobs depend on continued access, will abide by limitations put in place. They'll chafe at it, sure, all media love to believe in their journalistic independence, but (short of a scandal to report) they'll toe the line if they want to be back the next day. With this system, I think a coaching staff can maintain at least some degree of control over outside observers sharing secrets about players' health, the play book, and so on.

It's a surprisingly complex element of the football coaching staff's job.

Exactly- it's a lot harder to spread excitement on my college buddies group chats with "practices started today, less than one month til football" than it would be if we had "Clayton threw 2 TDs and 1 pick today, and Flynn Nagel may be emerging as a go to target for him! And XX freshman on the D Line had a sweet TFL!"

The latter doesn't do much of anything to help opponents game plan, but does give something tangible to the more middling fans to grasp onto, to get them more pumped and involved for opening day.

Yes, but the world extends much beyond sports. The first five posts I read on Facebook this morning consisted largely of stuff lifted from newspapers.

Wasn't there some truism that used to go, "papers break the news, television and radio expound on it?"

Wonder how we would need to modify that today..."blogs break the news, papers verify whether it is actually true, TV and radio expound on it"? Maybe something like that.

Wasn't there some truism that used to go, "papers break the news, television and radio expound on it?"

Wonder how we would need to modify that today..."blogs break the news, papers verify whether it is actually true, TV and radio expound on it"? Maybe something like that.

Actually, television and radio have been ahead on breaking news for some time. The newspaper used to expand the view of it. There is very little long-form journalism being done in the U.S. these days — a few of the major newspapers, some magazines like The Atlantic, Mother Jones, Time etc. If you want to see where corporate-owned, tabloid-style TV and newspapers along with self-important, manure-spreading bloggers are taking us, all you need to do is look at coverage of this year's elections.

Actually, television and radio have been ahead on breaking news for some time. The newspaper used to expand the view of it. There is very little long-form journalism being done in the U.S. these days — a few of the major newspapers, some magazines like The Atlantic, Mother Jones, Time etc. If you want to see where corporate-owned, tabloid-style TV and newspapers along with self-important, manure-spreading bloggers are taking us, all you need to do is look at coverage of this year's elections.

Thanks, PA, so I had the original idea exactly 180 degrees backwards. Ah well, a brain is a terrible thing to waste. :)

Excuses are for losers.
Wow,what a comeback! Wall to wall cameras at the Nicolet Center today but since it doesn't fit your "Fitz is secretive so NU doesn't get any coverage" mindset, I'm sure it won't change your perspective. I just deal in media reality, not some fantasy world.

Who exactly DOES read papers nowadays, especially in the "under 40" crowd?

I am only 29 and I still read the newspapers regularly (though last year I didn't subscribe due to living out of service areas).

I always thought, and was told, that the "key jangle" was indicative of a "key play", not as a noise maker, or as a tradition without a reason. I guess it's like any other item which is copied...the original meaning is lost in the wake of the effect. And the effect then becomes the visible part of what was once the fan's input into what the play on the field meant.

Never heard of the "key play" jangle. My first experience with keys was as a free-throw distraction technique in basketball... at least that's what my school's band did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT