ADVERTISEMENT

Canceled Summer Undergrad Summer Research Program

Jan 13, 2023
Hey y'all, apologies for a non-sports topic, feel free to move on.

A friend who was funded a couple of times by the NU Undergrad Summer Research Program just messaged me that Northwestern has canceled it for 2023.

The timing so close to this Summer is really lame, good luck to ~ 400 undergrads who just had their summer plans wrecked.

I'm wondering if anyone has email addresses for senior-level folks at NU who might be amenable to feedback on this. Or, if there's an online directory that has that info, if you could post it here, that would be awesome.

Cheers,
Jeremy

If I understand it correctly they got so many grant applications that they had to expand funding and don’t have the $$ to have the undergrad ASSISTANT research program. I think it is two different things. The titles are similar but different. Still sucks if your summer plans were to be in the assistant program…

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
Jeez. Weird thing to do. Just fund whatever grants you can with the funds you have. The grants are $4,000 each, so we are not talking about gobs of money.
Read the post above yours. It seems to me that they are doing exactly what you suggest—funding what they can afford (the grant program) while cutting what they cannot (the assistant program).

The endowment gets overloaded with Private Investments - which are illiquid - while the balance of the endowment portfolio has a tough year of performance. So, less money to distribute to operations and budgets get tightened. Just a guess, but I know other schools are dealing with this issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT