ADVERTISEMENT

Carlton Bragg Transfer

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
For fear of becoming too much like he who will not be named, at least there is a real-live NU connection here...

Though extremely unlikely, might Bragg be interested in joining his former high school teammate Dererk Pardon in Evanston? Though he has some backstory with two suspensions (one of which seems to be completely not his fault (erroneously charged with misdemeanor battery when he was actually the victim), he's clearly one hell of a basketball player. Drug paraphernalia in his room is clearly concerning, but even then the investigation wasn't technically related to Bragg.

Though extremely unlikely, might Bragg be interested in joining his former high school teammate Dererk Pardon in Evanston?

Doubtful.

Very surprised he would transfer rather than declare for the draft. He'll have to sit out a year if he does transfer, putting the NBA at least 2 more years away. Strange situation.

Doubtful.

Very surprised he would transfer rather than declare for the draft. He'll have to sit out a year if he does transfer, putting the NBA at least 2 more years away. Strange situation.

Don't think he did himself any favors with a couple suspensions and a subpar season at KU. The article linked below seems to indicate he's just looking for a "fresh start" (and likely more playing time), but comments about having "almost a 3.0 GPA at Kansas" probably mean he wouldn't clear NU's admissions anyway. Also seems like he's still got a high school coach acting as a pseudo-handler (i.e. using "we" to describe the kid's situation)... which usually doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article143104459.html

Declare for the NBA? The guy averaged about 5 points a game over 2 years. Not every 5-star high school player becomes a great college player, much less a pro. It takes a work ethic like his former teammate Dererk Pardon apparently has.

Don't think he did himself any favors with a couple suspensions and a subpar season at KU. The article linked below seems to indicate he's just looking for a "fresh start" (and likely more playing time), but comments about having "almost a 3.0 GPA at Kansas" probably mean he wouldn't clear NU's admissions anyway. Also seems like he's still got a high school coach acting as a pseudo-handler (i.e. using "we" to describe the kid's situation)... which usually doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article143104459.html

Agree about the "we" stuff. OTOH, at least it is a high school coach and not some AAU doofus coach.

So while the whole world was salivating over Bragg, we swooped in and grabbed his less heralded teammate, Pardon. Doesn't make us look too stupid, does it, not to mention the fact that Pardon is my very favorite player

Don't think that distinction makes much of a difference.

To me the difference is, as a HS coach he is accountable to the principle and this private school (hopefully) has ethical standards for their employees. An AAU coach is a loose cannon.

EDIT: Graves must be part-time. Here is something from a press release in 2013:

"In addition, VASJ assistant coach Michael Graves has had his role changed. Graves, who won a state championship as a Viking in the 1990s and was on the bench last year during the state championship run, has a much more demanding work schedule this season. He will still be involved with the Vikings basketball team.

“We made a mutual decision to change his role,” Kwasniak said.“Mike's a bailiff for Judge Lauren Moore and it's an election year for her so his time is going to be limited. Although he will no longer be a formal assistant coach he will still be heavily involved with the program.We have had many college coaches coming through to evaluate our players and Mike has been a conduit between the coaches and their parents.”

Last edited:
Agree about the "we" stuff. OTOH, at least it is a high school coach and not some AAU doofus coach.

The same high school coach who sold Collins on Pardon and told Collins that Pardon would be special.

Reactions: NJCat
For fear of becoming too much like he who will not be named, at least there is a real-live NU connection here...

Though extremely unlikely, might Bragg be interested in joining his former high school teammate Dererk Pardon in Evanston? Though he has some backstory with two suspensions (one of which seems to be completely not his fault (erroneously charged with misdemeanor battery when he was actually the victim), he's clearly one hell of a basketball player. Drug paraphernalia in his room is clearly concerning, but even then the investigation wasn't technically related to Bragg.
Better to leave this to felis. His list doent include "non-fit-ins like yours that have drug paraphernalia. This is NU, not UofI.

Reactions: FeliSilvestris
Better to leave this to felis. His list doent include "non-fit-ins like yours that have drug paraphernalia. This is NU, not UofI.

Quite frankly, I'd forgotten about Bragg's suspensions before starting the post and doing a little googling... just remembered that he was Pardon's teammate in high school.

But your defense of your boy is admirable, I guess.

PS -- your "holier than thou" attitude is completely unwarranted. You're kidding yourself if you think NU hasn't had a fair share of similar minor run-in's with the law.

Reactions: all4theillini
Quite frankly, I'd forgotten about Bragg's suspensions before starting the post and doing a little googling... just remembered that he was Pardon's teammate in high school.

But your defense of your boy is admirable, I guess.

PS -- your "holier than thou" attitude is completely unwarranted. You're kidding yourself if you think NU hasn't had a fair share of similar minor run-in's with the law.
No. We havent had our fair share.

No. We havent had our fair share.

I'll second that. Not to mention, our program appears to handle things very differently from other programs when these incidents do pop up.

I also think you are a product of your environment. Kids who may get in trouble at other schools might not if they had come to NU. Of course, this is pure conjecture, but the reality is that if your family is on the straight and narrow, you're more likely to be as well. If you hang with the wrong crowd and you're surrounded by felons, academic cheaters, temptations, and illegitimate behaviours (including academic fraud) that become the norm, well...

I'll second that. Not to mention, our program appears to handle things very differently from other programs when these incidents do pop up.

I also think you are a product of your environment. Kids who may get in trouble at other schools might not if they had come to NU. Of course, this is pure conjecture, but the reality is that if your family is on the straight and narrow, you're more likely to be as well. If you hang with the wrong crowd and you're surrounded by felons, academic cheaters, temptations, and illegitimate behaviours (including academic fraud) that become the norm, well...

I agree with this to a certain point, supervision and accountability to leadership is also a factor in this environment. But I also heard a speaker once who said if you put 200 strangers in a social setter for a weekend for a conference or something, most of the addicts will find each other, frequently in the first few hours.

There is also something to the idea that people mature and choose to make a new start.

Just because you haven't read about it in the Tribune doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Things do happen, but to a much lesser extent than at most other schools. We have not have a string of felonies swept under the rug. We do not have institutionalized academic fraud. Kids who play in bowl games who should be ineligible because they basically do no academic work. We don't allow for oral make up exams for star running backs who flee their midterms because they didn't know any of the answers. We don't have tutors who write academic papers for our athletes.

If it's weed, they need to change that rule and the law of the land. I call for everyone to smoke a J just out of civil disobedience.

That is indeed what Mark was suspended for. Not sure how he consumed it, but I wouldn't be shocked if paraphernalia was used

Hold on a second... that gpa will do just fine. Let's not pretend we don't take B students from high school, let alone legit colleges.

Just because you haven't read about it in the Tribune doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Well until there is actually a legit, proveable fact in play, allusions to supposed incidents that can't be proven are nothing more than vapor-nonsense.

Hold on a second... that gpa will do just fine. Let's not pretend we don't take B students from high school, let alone legit colleges.
Grad programs generally require a 3.0 undergrad GPA (as a minimum to be considered; actually admited students are generally well above that ). I don't know whether athletes face a lower minimum.

In my experience, it was very rare for a guy to clear admissions with a GPA under 3.0.

In my experience, it was very rare for a guy to clear admissions with a GPA under 3.0.
Are we talking about HS or college GPA (in the case of transfers)?
I'd imagine each would be handled under different standards.
Obviously, the specific school and coursework leading to the GPA should make a big difference also (in both cases).

Are we talking about HS or college GPA (in the case of transfers)?
I'd imagine each would be handled under different standards.
Obviously, the specific school and coursework leading to the GPA should make a big difference also (in both cases).

I dealt exclusively with high school prospects in my time. However, I'm pretty certain that both high school and college performance is considered for transfers.

I'm pretty certain that both high school and college performance is considered for transfers.
What I had in mind was whether the GPA standards would be different for HS work vs college work...say, a 3.0 GPA from a good HS would be minimally acceptable (most cases), but from a decent college a 2.50 or better GPA would be viewed as OK. This (if done) would make some sense for undergrad transfers, since they are already proving they can do the work at the college level (hopefully at a level that is remotely comparable to NU's).

What I had in mind was whether the GPA standards would be different for HS work vs college work...say, a 3.0 GPA from a good HS would be minimally acceptable (most cases), but from a decent college a 2.50 or better GPA would be viewed as OK. This (if done) would make some sense for undergrad transfers, since they are already proving they can do the work at the college level (hopefully at a level that is remotely comparable to NU's).

I do not believe a 2.5 collegiate GPA would be looked upon favorably as a transfer.

I do not believe a 2.5 collegiate GPA would be looked upon favorably as a transfer.
That was just an example. The issue is whether HS and college GPA are looked upon under different standards (say, a number that may be viewed as "too low" if from a decent HS, may be viewed as acceptable as a college GPA, the same number).

That was just an example. The issue is whether HS and college GPA are looked upon under different standards (say, a number that may be viewed as "too low" if from a decent HS, may be viewed as acceptable as a college GPA, the same number).

Do not know for sure, but my guess is that 3.0 is the "golden number" in both cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT