ADVERTISEMENT

Cats land Jared Jones

Excellent. This is a very nice pickup from a very impressive array of offers. Love athletic big men like this.

It begins, just as Haywood said it would.

200.gif

Jared, I read what your dad said about NU.

From an NU alum, your dad is 100% correct.

NU is going to fit you like a glove and you're going to have a great life because of NU, but mostly because you have wise and generous parents.

I wish you the best of luck and every success.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Jared, I read what your dad said about NU.

From an NU alum, your dad is 100% correct.

NU is going to fit you like a glove and you're going to have a great life because of NU, but mostly because you have wise and generous parents.

I wish you the best of luck and every success.

Link?

Only the 180th ranked recruit (per 247)?

CC & Co. are slipping (pfffft - not even a borderline Top 100 recruit).

A hearty welcome to JJ and his family!

(This news made the sports weekend a bit brighter for NU fans.)

While I'm certainly excited about Jared's talents on the court, I'm even more impressed by his character and outlook (good job parents!).

“I’m headed to Northwestern,” Jones said. “The reason I picked them is because it’s just a really good school. I love basketball and I have a real love for basketball, but at the same time I want to be secure with every aspect of my life and I feel like that’s the best spot for me.”

Despite going through the process and hearing pitches from other schools, Jones said he’s known Northwestern was his ultimate destination for quite some time.

“Right after Peach Jam is when I knew,” Jones said. “Around July 15 or July 16 is when I was like I really want to go to Northwestern, but I wanted to take a few visits just to make an informed decision.”

To go with the official visit to Wake Forest, Jones officially visited Northwestern the weekend of Sept. 15. Jones said the feel of the campus stood out to him, as did the scenery.

“Northwestern’s campus is right on the lake,” Jones said. “It was beautiful to me. It was real nice. When I was up there with the players and just meeting people on campus and meeting people that work at the school, the attitude is just bright and they are really accepting. I feel like it really fit me and my personality.”

https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/cats-land-jared-jones.40145/#post-552650

One of the rare times when academics (and a scenic lakefront) tilts a recruit towards a school.

From Teddy's article.

An SEC talent evaluator gave this scouting report to the Tribune: “Positionless basketball, he is a Stretch 5. Great kid with great upside. Serious knee injury has slowed him the last two years. If he fully recovers, he could be a steal.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...rn-basketball-jared-jones-20180930-story.html

Can put the recruiting rankings aside; Jones has as an impressive offer list as any NU recruit.

Would have been pretty happy w/ a smaller class of Buie and Beran (hopefully, Jared committing nudges Beran a little closer; recruits want to win and want to see other talented players on the team), but now want the staff to land both Beran and Austin.

Despite going through the process and hearing pitches from other schools, Jones said he’s known Northwestern was his ultimate destination for quite some time.

“Right after Peach Jam is when I knew,” Jones said. “Around July 15 or July 16 is when I was like I really want to go to Northwestern, but I wanted to take a few visits just to make an informed decision.”

To go with the official visit to Wake Forest, Jones officially visited Northwestern the weekend of Sept. 15. Jones said the feel of the campus stood out to him, as did the scenery.

“Northwestern’s campus is right on the lake,” Jones said. “It was beautiful to me. It was real nice.

Thankfully, he didn't visit in January........

I have a sense that guys like Beran, Jones and Buie will likely see their rankings rise like Kopp did last year. Do not know much about Austin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT