ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Jones

Catdude

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
In a blast from the (recent) past, Jared Jones, who played at NU in 2019-20 and then went to Middle Tennessee State, is in the portal. I remembered him as barely playing at NU but then looked up his stats and he played 31 games that year and averaged 10 mpg (so only a little less than Luke Hunger played this year). Jones entered in the class with Boo Buie and Robbie Beran but has another year because he didn't play in 2021-22.

In a blast from the (recent) past, Jared Jones, who played at NU in 2019-20 and then went to Middle Tennessee State, is in the portal. I remembered him as barely playing at NU but then looked up his stats and he played 31 games that year and averaged 10 mpg (so only a little less than Luke Hunger played this year). Jones entered in the class with Boo Buie and Robbie Beran but has another year because he didn't play in 2021-22.
Wasn't he also highly ranked and Boo Buie's cousin?

Reactions: drewjin
Pretty interesting. 6-10 forward. Third team all-conference.

Louie's thoughts when he left:

I assumed he left because he was third in line for the position he was built for, and he was aimed at being a center which he probably didn't want to be. Also, he was bad from three and that doesn't work in Collins' system. Seemed like a win/win.

Has he improved his three?

19 for 43. Good percentage. Low attempts. See article in my post.
That article says Jones is a Junior for the 2023-24 season.
If thats accurate, he probably can't transfer back to Northwestern as an undergrad. (Too many non-NU credits)

That article says Jones is a Junior for the 2023-24 season.
If thats accurate, he probably can't transfer back to Northwestern as an undergrad. (Too many non-NU credits)

He has been in school five years. Started Fall of 2019. Surely he has a degree?

He has been in school five years. Started Fall of 2019. Surely he has a degree?
I'm just going by the info on the story you posted.

The sad truth is that for some of the guys playing D1 basketball, it may be to their financial benefit to get NIL money to play hoops, so graduating would work against that.

All I can tell you is that the website you cited says Jones was a freshman at NU, then a sophomore at MTSU, then got injured before his "Covid Sophomore" season, then played his "Redshirt Sophomore" season and last year was listed as a junior.

Five athletic years means five years in school. That's a reasonable amount of time to complete a four year degree even with a potentially complicating covid year. So it is possible that he has his degree and could transfer as a graduate student.

I remember him well. He showed a lot of potential that year.

It would be nice to get him back as a quality big off the bench for depth. We know he can clear admissions.

Come home Mr. Jones!

Unreal. I thought he showed promise as a Freshman, but the amount of power conference schools that are interested amazes me. Just shows schools are plugging holes with one year mercenaries more than ever. NU does it too. If I was overlooked as a HS recruit, I would play on, and get re-recruited for the big stage when the time is right.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I agree that it is surprising to see that so many big name programs have contacted Jones. For programs with a solid NIL foundation, it feels like teams composed entirely of transfers is the way of the future. Why recruit unproven high school kids when you can assemble a team of 21 and 22-year-olds who have proven they can play at the college level?

I agree that it is surprising to see that so many big name programs have contacted Jones. For programs with a solid NIL foundation, it feels like teams composed entirely of transfers is the way of the future. Why recruit unproven high school kids when you can assemble a team of 21 and 22-year-olds who have proven they can play at the college level?
Team culture, consistency, not having to get everyone on the team learning a new system, etc. I think transfers have to be in play, but more to plug gaps than a brand new group every year.

He was here as a freshman. He can get readmitted easily.

Northwestern has rules that restrict undergrad transfers.

The deadline for transfer applications is March 15*. Note that Northwestern only considers transfer applications for fall-quarter enrollment. (The March 15 "deadline" was extended to April 10 unofficially, possibly because of the basketball portal)

Incoming transfers must have completed a full year of credits at their current university.

Incoming transfers must be able to attend NU for 6 quarters (two years) and complete at least 21 units.
Undergrad programs at Northwestern require 42-50 units for graduation, depending on the program.

Less than 15% of transfers are accepted. Minimum of B average on their college transcript.

Most transfers are admitted for their sophomore year.

My guess is that Jared Jones would not make it thru admissions at this point.

These rules eliminate many, possibly most, of the players in the basketball portal.

Graduate transfers are a separate category.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Northwestern has rules that restrict undergrad transfers.

The deadline for transfer applications is March 15*. Note that Northwestern only considers transfer applications for fall-quarter enrollment. (The March 15 "deadline" was extended to April 10 unofficially, possibly because of the basketball portal)

Incoming transfers must have completed a full year of credits at their current university.

Incoming transfers must be able to attend NU for 6 quarters (two years) and complete at least 21 units.
Undergrad programs at Northwestern require 42-50 units for graduation, depending on the program.

Less than 15% of transfers are accepted. Minimum of B average on their college transcript.

Most transfers are admitted for their sophomore year.

My guess is that Jared Jones would not make it thru admissions at this point.

These rules eliminate many, possibly most, of the players in the basketball portal.

Graduate transfers are a separate category.
Didn’t he graduate from MTSU?

What the hell is he thinking if he didn’t?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT