ADVERTISEMENT

Cats Offer Sophomore SG

IdahoAlum

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
per Verbal Commits NU has offered 2020 recruit Anthony Edwards, a 6-5 SG from an Atlanta prep school. The class of 2020 -- man that sounds weird...

per Verbal Commits NU has offered 2020 recruit Anthony Edwards, a 6-5 SG from an Atlanta prep school. The class of 2020 -- man that sounds weird...
Why? A 6-5 and growing SG from a prestigious prep school sounds just about right.

Why? A 6-5 and growing SG from a prestigious prep school sounds just about right.
c35.gif

Reactions: NUCat320
How much time before CC offers PB2?

Patrick Baldwin, Jr. Haven Middle School

When I first began putting this column idea and piece together, it was about the creative aspect of it, from the different categories to having fun with the comparisons and titles for the tiers. Initially, there was no thought into what players would eventually fall in what tiers. That would come later.

But here we are, with the youngest of kids in the top tier. All alone. He hasn’t played a game of high school basketball yet and just went through his graduation ceremonies at Haven Middle School in Evanston Wednesday night.

Alright, I know I’m setting off alarms here with this whole 8th grader thing. I can count on one hand (maybe two hands) the amount of players I’ve written or talked about publicly over the past 20 years who haven’t even stepped foot in a high school. The overhyping of a young basketball player is not something to take lightly. The last was Jalen Brunson, the summer before he began his freshman year at Stevenson.

But in my heart of hearts, there was no way around this.

Remember, this is the question: Who is the best basketball prospect in the state of Illinois, regardless of class and age? The key word, remember, is prospect.

And my answer: Patrick Baldwin, Jr.

A part of the reason the answer is Baldwin is due to the lack of a basketball prodigy in the three classes ahead of him. There is no transcendent prep hoops star like a Jabari Parker, Anthony Davis or Jahlil Okafor in the to-be senior, junior or sophomore classes.

But make no mistake about it, this 8th grader is a special, unique talent for his age. Baldwin is already a skilled, smooth, multi-faceted player who is a fluid 6-6. Whether it’s his handle, passing ability, perimeter jumper or advanced approach to the game, it’s all ridiculously mature.

Baldwin isn’t the big, bad, over-developed 8th grader who will tap out in a year or two. No basketball evaluator or coach really falls for that type. Baldwin is still so far away from being fully mature physically and where he will be as a player.

The long, lean basketball body that is primed to fill out years down the road is a basketball player’s blessing. Then there is the skill level, feel, demeanor and basketball bloodlines as the son of a former player and a current coach, Northwestern assistant Pat Baldwin.

Throw in a secure support system he has in place, both with his family and what he will receive at Loyola Academy, and you don’t get the sense any early hype that is surely coming his way will derail him. And this is the start of it right here. Fair or not, there will be target on his back going forward.

Like any young player he’s going to take his lumps and have his struggles always playing against older, more physically mature players. But simply put, when looking at all the players in the state of Illinois and then projecting which one is the very best college basketball prospect, the City/Suburban Hoops Report can’t seriously go with anyone other than Baldwin.

https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/cats-offer-sophomore-sg.32819/

Will PB2 want to play for PB1, play for his dad's alma mater or do his own thing?

Throw in a secure support system he has in place, both with his family and what he will receive at Loyola Academy, and you don’t get the sense any early hype that is surely coming his way will derail him. And this is the start of it right here. Fair or not, there will be target on his back going forward.
Is he still going to Loyola? That would seem like a long commute every morning, assuming the family is moving to Milwaukee.

Watching PB2 on tv tonight in Wisconsin. He is so smooth and seems mature beyond his years. He will be special.

Cats should just make it official and offer him.

Is he still going to Loyola? That would seem like a long commute every morning, assuming the family is moving to Milwaukee.

No longer attending Loyola, as of course he moved to Wisconsin. Would imagine he is odds-on to attend Milwaukee if his dad remains there.

Can’t see him going to Milwaukee. The Horizon League is the lowest rated league in the country. I feel like PB2 could play in the Horizon right now.

Ray McCallum played for his dad at Detroit but the Horizon was so much better back then.

A lot can change in four years. Hope he enjoys high school and has the pick of his college when the time comes.

Go Cats!

If Pat does well at Milwaukee, he will be going to a bigger program in 4 years or less. Some schools may be tempted to go for the package deal, father and son.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT