Gallagher on consensus second team

Leota named to third team by media and honourable mention by coaches

Brown and Bergin are consensus honorable mentions

Pace selected as honorable mention by media

Joseph wins Freshman of the Year

Fisher wins Linebacker of the Year

xxxx

Last edited:
I love Fisher, but I didn’t agree with LB of the year.

Solo tackles: Micah McFadden 40, Paddy Fisher 37
TFL: McFadden 8.5, Fisher 3.5
Interceptions: McFadden 2, Fisher 1
Sacks: McFadden 5, Fisher 0

Newsome, Joseph and Fisher named to consensus first team

We finally get the respect we deserve. Great job by the coaches in identifying and developing the talent. Congrats to the players for putting in the work and performing on the field. Now let's stuff dOSU on Saturday!

To paraphrase Marty McFly's grandpa, who the he11 is Micah McFadden?

And now you know how it feels to be an NU fan. Your preferred player isn't as well known

This is awesome. Hope this further inspires the defense to play with a lot of swagger this weekend.

Punch the Buckeyes offense in the mouth!

Good cherry picking.
Total tackles: McFadden 53, Fisher 65

Fisher doesn't get as many sack opportunities because he is not asked to blitz a lot in Hank's defense. Fisher deserves the award.

Good cherry picking.
Total tackles: McFadden 53, Fisher 65

Fisher doesn't get as many sack opportunities because he is not asked to blitz a lot in Hank's defense. Fisher deserves the award.
I think it was probably sort of a Career Award for Paddy. Gallagher had 65 tackles, 9.5 tfls, 2 Sacks, an INT and got 2nd Team? Could made a case for him as well

This should fire up the DTs. Who, by the way, get little respect on the OSU boards.
A good number of OSU fans opine that Fields won’t really have to make many difficult 3rd and long pass attempts to win this game. Even if this isn’t one of OSU’s vintage running attacks, they believe the OL should able to run over our small DEs and scheme our DTs.

Reactions: drewjin
Reactions: cat inkansas
This should fire up the DTs. Who, by the way, get little respect on the OSU boards.
A good number of OSU fans opine that Fields won’t really have to make many difficult 3rd and long pass attempts to win this game. Even if this isn’t one of OSU’s vintage running attacks, they believe the OL should able to run over our small DEs and scheme our DTs.
They hope they don't hurt us too bad

Newsome, Joseph and Fisher named to consensus first team

xxxx

A Frosh getting All Big 1st team. And he is still leading the country in INTs. All American???

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: drewjin and zbag51
I think it was probably sort of a Career Award for Paddy. Gallagher had 65 tackles, 9.5 tfls, 2 Sacks, an INT and got 2nd Team? Could made a case for him as well
Yeah I was looking at the numbers and it was eerie how exactly identical they are to each other except for TFLs and sacks:
- Paddy 65 tackles, 3.5 TFLs, 0 sacks, 1 Int, 2 PBU, 1 FF, 1 FR
- Blake 65 tackles, 9.5 TFLs, 2 sacks, 1 Int, 2 PBU, 1 FF, 1 FR
- (Bergin 58 tackles, 3.5 TFLs, 0 sacks, 1 Int, 4 PBU, 0 FF / FR)

In our scheme, Blake seems to be given the most freedom to shoot the gaps on run plays and/or blitz. Paddy tends to be the stay at home MLB who cleans up the plays, but isn't necessarily attacking downhill as often. Bergin was a wild card - more coverage responsibilities toward the edge, but also pass rushes a decent amount on 3rd downs - difference of him vs Gally is when he pass rushes he usually does it from on the LoS - almost as a DE when we bring in our nickel package, so maybe then his "blitzes" are more expected while Blake has had more success getting home to the QB when he comes unexpectedly.

Regardless, it's a heck of a group of 3 LBs that we have. All 3 in the top 12 in tackles in the league.

Btw- no one will be surprised that B Joseph leads the league with 5 picks (and country - tied with 3 others including MSU's Shakur Brown who had one against us when that flag was picked up). But Newsome also leads the B1G with 10 passes defensed (9 PBUs + 1 Int).

Wow. That’s a lot of hardware for our guys. Coach Hank and his staff must be very proud. I certainly am!

GO CATS!
Let us just hope they don't rest on their laurels and prove once (twice including the bowl game) why they got them

Yeah I was looking at the numbers and it was eerie how exactly identical they are to each other except for TFLs and sacks:
- Paddy 65 tackles, 3.5 TFLs, 0 sacks, 1 Int, 2 PBU, 1 FF, 1 FR
- Blake 65 tackles, 9.5 TFLs, 2 sacks, 1 Int, 2 PBU, 1 FF, 1 FR
- (Bergin 58 tackles, 3.5 TFLs, 0 sacks, 1 Int, 4 PBU, 0 FF / FR)

In our scheme, Blake seems to be given the most freedom to shoot the gaps on run plays and/or blitz. Paddy tends to be the stay at home MLB who cleans up the plays, but isn't necessarily attacking downhill as often. Bergin was a wild card - more coverage responsibilities toward the edge, but also pass rushes a decent amount on 3rd downs - difference of him vs Gally is when he pass rushes he usually does it from on the LoS - almost as a DE when we bring in our nickel package, so maybe then his "blitzes" are more expected while Blake has had more success getting home to the QB when he comes unexpectedly.

Regardless, it's a heck of a group of 3 LBs that we have. All 3 in the top 12 in tackles in the league.

Btw- no one will be surprised that B Joseph leads the league with 5 picks (and country - tied with 3 others including MSU's Shakur Brown who had one against us when that flag was picked up). But Newsome also leads the B1G with 10 passes defensed (9 PBUs + 1 Int).
The 3 Firm members are Great! But Blake and Paddy specifically have had 3 good years. Blake’s numbers have been better than Paddy’s each year. There are people on this board who constantly want to justify/make excuses for why?? “Teams key on Paddy, that’s why Blake gets so many tackles....”. “Blake has more freedom.....”. Etc.... Look, The Defense plays a GAP control defense. Everyone has a GAP. Nobody has more freedom than anyone else. They are 2 of the Best LBs ever to wear the Purple and White. Paddy has Better NFL measurables , but Blake is, at minimum, as Good a College LB, maybe better.

The 3 Firm members are Great! But Blake and Paddy specifically have had 3 good years. Blake’s numbers have been better than Paddy’s each year. There are people on this board who constantly want to justify/make excuses for why?? “Teams key on Paddy, that’s why Blake gets so many tackles....”. “Blake has more freedom.....”. Etc.... Look, The Defense plays a GAP control defense. Everyone has a GAP. Nobody has more freedom than anyone else. They are 2 of the Best LBs ever to wear the Purple and White. Paddy has Better NFL measurables , but Blake is, at minimum, as Good a College LB, maybe better.
I mean I could be wrong, I am certainly not an expert on football defensive schemes, I'm just stating what I have observed. I also tend to agree that getting Paddy blocked is somewhat more of a focus for most offenses we play than Blake. But I'm open to opposing opinions and not very confident that my assertions above are accurate. Also this clearly isn't a binary yes / no answer.

Anyways overall, no beef from me on your main point - agree both are excellent B1G LBs of similarly high quality, and that Paddy gets more recognition in part because he is regarded as a better NFL prospect, which might not be fair. Thrilled to have Blake alongside Paddy and Bergin patrolling the middle of the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT