ADVERTISEMENT

CC recruiting vs. "Big Guys"

catstime16

May 27, 2015
As he should it appears CC is battling national "heavies" in pursuit of '17/'18 recruits. It also
appears that the '16 class MAY be a stronger than typical and that CC and staff have been
doing a good job in recruiting. With the belief that NU is not for every (or many) of the nations
"top recruits" what would CC ask for if administered a "truth serum" to move program along?
Would devoted basketball practice facility move the needle for kids? Would throwing more $$
into WR do anything? or general student "fandom"???? Look fwd to hearing any thoughts.......

As he should it appears CC is battling national "heavies" in pursuit of '17/'18 recruits. It also
appears that the '16 class MAY be a stronger than typical and that CC and staff have been
doing a good job in recruiting. With the belief that NU is not for every (or many) of the nations
"top recruits" what would CC ask for if administered a "truth serum" to move program along?
Would devoted basketball practice facility move the needle for kids? Would throwing more $$
into WR do anything? or general student "fandom"???? Look fwd to hearing any thoughts.......

It's a really good question. Nebraska spent boatloads of money on a new arena and state of the art practice facilities but I haven't seen a parade of 5*s to Lincoln. Maybe its as simple as the best players gravitate to the best coaches and strongest programs. While I think WRA should be blown up and and new arena built in its place, I doubt that would result in getting the top players to Evanston in my lifetime.

NU is a lot like that dragon in The Hobbit....knows every piece of silver it has and doesn't want to give up one ducat. Even though it has more wealth than just about anyone else.

I think the mistake has been in not leveraging just how cheap the board of trustees is. Every request should include a reference to admissions. "We could build this new basketball arena which we really want to do....or we could not touch the arena but lower admissions by (criteria 1) and (criteria 2) which we don't want to do. But, it's not about us....what do you want us to do?"

I think NU is going after the top talent in Illinois like Jordan Goodwin, Nojel Eastern and Justin Smith who are getting offers from another of Big 10 schools and hot schools like Villanova who just won the NCAA championship and have had success in recruiting Illinois talent like Jalen Brunsen. The offers are coming in fast and furious for other prospects who are playing well in the camps and tournaments. I do not think that NU's facility would help significantly since we are a team on the rise but not with a rich basketball history. Collins is going after 4 star talents and talent on the rise who are smart to see how the summer develops and see what options they could have. NU has only two scholarships available so they are going after top talent. Give Collins credit. Hopefully, Goodwin and others realize the opportunities to play at NU as opposed to sitting on the bench behind McDonald's All-Americans who play the same position such as MSU who has offers out with Eastern and others. Also, Goodwin would be a better fit at the SG position at NU than Iowa who stockpile 6'4"-6'7" SG/SF and he would have problems finding minutes at that school.

A nice arena and better facilities are important (for players and fans), but what will really attract the big time recruits is winning! The top players are competitive and want to WIN, plain and simple. The idea of a "chance" to make the NCAA tourney is not all that appealing, the top players are thinking "WIN" the NCAA Championship. CC is a very good recruiter, but what he needs to be competitive for the top recruits is winning! Finish high in the BIG Ten, make noise in the NCAA tourney, become a true "program on the rise" and the players will come. Getting closer, but still a ways to go.

And a nice new or at least a totally refurbished W-R lends itself to winning also.

A nice arena and better facilities are important (for players and fans), but what will really attract the big time recruits is winning! The top players are competitive and want to WIN, plain and simple.

They want to win and they want a shot at the NBA. The two best things you can do to attract top recruits are 1) win, especially in the NCAAs, and 2) send players to the NBA. Unfortunately we're stuck in a catch-22 because it's much easier to do those things if you can get those recruits in the first place.

... I think the mistake has been in not leveraging just how cheap the board of trustees is. Every request should include a reference to admissions. "We could build this new basketball arena which we really want to do....or we could not touch the arena but lower admissions by (criteria 1) and (criteria 2) which we don't want to do. But, it's not about us....what do you want us to do?"

Good "summer" question!!!

I get the feeling we're getting away from the "truth serum" purpose of the original question. I think Medill is in the ballpark. I could see several components to Collins' ideal world.

1) A less hardline board of trustees
2) The first result would be them loosening the change purse for a new facility.
3) The second result would be just a tad softer admissions requirements.
4) A campus arena

My guess is that the framework for both ideas would center around what Duke does.

In the end, I think only a new facility is anything-in-the-ballpark of realistic. It's an arms race out there. Right now, NU is trying to recruit Nojel Eastern away from this locker room, this facility and this level of equipment.

(P.S. MSU announced a $50 million renovation to the Breslin Center in October. My personal favorite amenity is the new locker room dedicated to ... wait for it ... FORMER MSU players. Yes, that is correct. They will have a locker room that is for the sole purpose of former players playing pickup games.)

My first question to truth-cerum Colins would be whether he wants a new arena or to build high-end facilities around WR such as Duke did to Cameron.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
My first question to truth-cerum Colins would be whether he wants a new arena or to build high-end facilities around WR such as Duke did to Cameron.

I believe it's the latter. The arena is for the fans. The practice facilities are for the players.

IU has the right idea. They built Cook Hall first and (thanks to a large gift) are addressing Assembly Hall now.

Obviously hoops doesn't have the land or the university support to do anything like this at the moment (ever?), but I think Collins would lean toward improving the day to day operation first and foremost.

Last edited:
Obviously hoops doesn't have the land or the university support to do anything like this at the moment (ever?), but I think Collins would lean toward improving the day to day operation first and foremost.

I wonder why they didn't include basketball practice facilities in the Lakeside facility? I see no reason why the practice facility has to be inside WRA. NU will never build an on-campus arena (no land left) but how tough is it to have a couple of courts and locker rooms for the hoopsters?

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
I wonder why they didn't include basketball practice facilities in the Lakeside facility? I see no reason why the practice facility has to be inside WRA.

Yeah, me too.

I get that the master plan likely requires clearing out the football practice facilities on central in order to create space, but with how little support hoops has received in the past why not give them a piece of sugar by cutting them into the new campus development in the meantime? Especially when the "in the meantime" may include waiting behind a Ryan Field rehab (eg: 10+ years).

The theoretical basketball component of the lakeside facility could have been re-purposed down the road when central street got green lighted. Such a move would have also bought athletic department more time to get their ducks in a row when it came to future upgrades.

Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Last edited:
I wonder why they didn't include basketball practice facilities in the Lakeside facility? I see no reason why the practice facility has to be inside WRA. NU will never build an on-campus arena (no land left) but how tough is it to have a couple of courts and locker rooms for the hoopsters?
Because Dr. Jim needed to can Carmody before he could invest in the program, and CBC just. wouldn't. die.
#kidding #ithink

I have no idea how the facilities will improve overall athletic program or campus life in general, but not setting aside an area for a private practice court or two and some locker rooms for hoops stands as a huge missed opportunity limiting the effort's potential, I think.

I have no idea how the facilities will improve overall athletic program or campus life in general, but not setting aside an area for a private practice court or two and some locker rooms for hoops stands as a huge missed opportunity limiting the effort's potential, I think.

Wouldn't it have to be more than that? Wouldn't it also have to include coaches' offices, video viewing room(s), etc.? And wouldn't it have to include comparable facilities for the women's program as well?

I agree that it seems like not including hoops in the new facility is a missed opportunity, but suspect it would be a more major project than you seem to describe.

Wouldn't it have to be more than that? Wouldn't it also have to include coaches' offices, video viewing room(s), etc.? And wouldn't it have to include comparable facilities for the women's program as well?

I agree that it seems like not including hoops in the new facility is a missed opportunity, but suspect it would be a more major project than you seem to describe.

For $260 Million I think you could have found space for coaches offices and a video room......but I guess you also have to consider wrestling and volleyball, and maybe there is a broader master plan for upgrades for the remaining sports on Central Avenue.

Because Dr. Jim needed to can Carmody before he could invest in the program, and CBC just. wouldn't. die.
#kidding #ithink

His last season at NU we were pretty dead...

I have confidence that Collins understands what's needed from a facilities perspective, and he'll push hard for it if we need it enough.

His last season at NU we were pretty dead...

I have confidence that Collins understands what's needed from a facilities perspective, and he'll push hard for it if we need it enough.

I think he already has pushed for it, and if he stays long enough, he will see it through--and so will we. Everybody knows that real estate is scarce on Central Street and by the lake. When the football team's everyday facilities are moved, suddenly you can see where things are headed. Nothing that hasn't already been discussed ad nauseum, but you can imagine as well as I can the nature of the conversations between Dr. Jim and Collins about the facilities game plan and the reality of it right now. Collins doesn't hate Welsh Ryan and has mentioned favorable comparisons to Cameron Indoor, but don't we know that Coach wants major everyday facility improvements to dazzle recruits? I would if I were Coach, and I would bet he's given his two cents. That's a good example of where Coach is a better fit under Dr. Jim than Carmody was, in my opinion. Collins and Dr. Jim are big-picture boys and they've seen the "big time." They know exactly what it looks like, smells like, sounds like.

Somebody above mentioned Nebraska. They were a one-hit wonder (so far). They need to sustain NCAA tournament success (defined by me as making the tourney annually and scoring some big wins) to build a tradition. And it takes time and the right circumstances (right coach, a big break in recruiting, administrative support, facility upgrades, et al.). Look at Butler, VCU, Gonzaga, Wichita State, and other hot mid majors. Those programs have been around FOREVER, but it took sustained NCAA tournament success to make them popular NOW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT