ADVERTISEMENT

CFN Preseason Ranking

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Not much else to talk about until Kenosha starts, so here is a preseason ranking from College Football News. I had to chuckle at one of the "Relative Strengths".......

35. Northwestern Wildcats

Relative Strengths: Quarterback, Coaching
Relative Concerns: Defensive Depth, Defensive Line
Why Are They Here? QB Clayton Thorson and RB Justin Jackson form the nucleus of an offense that should be ultra-effective. The rest of the Wildcats will be serviceable, and that should be enough if Thorson is special.
2016 Final Season Ranking: 63 (7-6)
2016 CFN Preseason Ranking: 40

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/college-football-preseason-rankings-preview-2017

I just watched a bunch of highlights from the 2016 season (yes, there were lots of good parts), and I am pumped. This is going to be a special year, I can feel it.

I just watched a bunch of highlights from the 2016 season (yes, there were lots of good parts), and I am pumped. This is going to be a special year, I can feel it.
So Close to 9&4 on the season

So, let's see, Team starts 1-3, wins 5 of their last 8 games, 3 of them on the road, and then wins a bowl game against the only team to beat the national champion and you don't consider that a successful season? Tough crowd.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
So, let's see, Team starts 1-3, wins 5 of their last 8 games, 3 of them on the road, and then wins a bowl game against the only team to beat the national champion and you don't consider that a successful season? Tough crowd.
I thought it was a successful season. The Article ranked the Cats 63rd at the end of that successful season. I don't think they can see past the final record. If we had been 9&4, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the final season ranking would have been more like the preseason ranking of 35th. It is essentially the same team and program but two extremely close and winnable games set the Cats back according to the "expert" ranking.

And you can argue that it doesn't really matter what the boobs in these magazines think except NU is trying to build a program that outsiders view as a contender. Sitting at 63rd for 6 months doesn't help our narrative. Western Michigan proved to be a respectable team but the loss to ISU was inexcusable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Winning a bowl game against a quality team in a year the rest of the BIG did not has greatly enhanced the reputation, I would think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT